Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

First game you attended?

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#41 Adelaide Tiger

Adelaide Tiger
  • Coach
  • 154 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:44 AM

Me and my mate took a work colleague to his first ever RL match in 2003. He had never even seen a game on tv and had no idea how the game (or probably any sport for that matter) was played. The game was GB v Australia at Wigan.

The journey for fans from Gods own country was a nightmare after a big pile up on the M62 so a one hour journey took 4 hours. We arrived and sat down seconds before the game kicked off only to watch Morley flatten Kearns and be sent off. I went ballistic cursing and swearing at Morley as to how he could do that after the journey we had.

The game ebbed and glowed for 20 minutes when the newbie said to me "Which team is Great Britain?".

EDIT - just watched the Morley sending off again on you tube. When Deacon kicks off the time on the video is at 4 seconds when Morley connects with Kearns it is just after 9 seconds. So why does it say 12 seconds on most internet sites/pages.

Edited by Adelaide Tiger, 22 July 2014 - 06:52 AM.

#42 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 810 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:57 AM

Did your mate enjoy the game? Was he converted????

#43 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:12 AM

Saints v Workington 1978, then the reverse fixture at DP. My dad trying to undo the damage caused by going to watch Carlisle united with neighbours. Still preferred football, specifically going to watch the great Liverpool side of that era until he took me to a boxing day or good Friday match v Wigan - then I was hooked !!
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#44 Cockney4league

Cockney4league
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:32 AM

I hope he didn't mind some of the chanting by Saints fans!

He thought the atmosphere was brilliant and enjoyed the broncos fans doing a mini conga in the second half. He did comemnt how he thought that fans can mix in together and drink lots of beer and still behave themselves unlike when he goes to the football.

#45 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:52 AM

He thought the atmosphere was brilliant and enjoyed the broncos fans doing a mini conga in the second half. He did comemnt how he thought that fans can mix in together and drink lots of beer and still behave themselves unlike when he goes to the football.

Get him to Broncos v Bulls on 13th Sept, end of season relegation party for the two teams, it'll be surreal!

My first was Bulls v Warrington, March 1997, as a 9 year old.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#46 alan30058

alan30058
  • Coach
  • 188 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:54 AM

My first game ever was as a young lad of 10 and the game was Feathersone Rovers at home in the cup 2nd round

( February 1961)
Donning my new Wires scarf and armed with a massive wooden rattle( ex Air Raid Warden's) I was ready for my indoctrination.Just as I was setting off my Dad shouted to me "Don't forget to look out for the number 2 winger Bevan he's the best player that has ever played for us" wow that was some statement and I couldn't wait to see this super hero !
Well here I was at Wilderspool and the atmosphere was electric as Wire entered the arena to the roar of a packed crowd.

Then shock horror I realised Bevan wasn't playing but instead some old man who was bald with no teeth ,thin as a rake and swathed in more bandages than an Egyptian mummy was on the wing instead.!
Oh well not to worry I watched the game and was still captivated for life with my beloved Wire.
Even though we lost 13-10.
I got home and told my Dad all about the game and how we probably got beat because Bevan never played and I then described this old man who had taken his place.
Suddenly I felt a clip around my ear as Dad told me that WAS Brian Bevan !!!
Happy days happy memories. 

Edited by alan30058, 23 July 2014 - 10:19 AM.

#47 indomitable

indomitable
  • Coach
  • 291 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:47 AM

My first ever match was in 1945 at Odsal, playing Keighley as I recall, my uncle took me, he was a former Northern player. Getting into the spirit of the game I shouted come on Willie. My uncle nearly knocked me for six,'you don't call him Willie, that is W.T.H., and his surname is Davies,and he's one of the greats'. Strangely I now work in Swansea, and even now WTH is still remembered there. The greatest thing in Welsh Rugby Union is for a club side to beat the All Blacks, and this Swansea did in 1935 11points to 3 with Davies and Hayden Tanner his cousin who were both 19 at the time. The All Blacks manager was scared to mention in his cable that his side had been outplayed by two nineteen year old half backs.

Davies signed for Northern in 1939 and had a great career in League, winning the Lance Todd trophy in '47, and played for Wales and Great Britain. I could never call him Willie after that, and even now I am frequently asked did I ever see the great WTH when he went north, and of course I am proud to say that I saw him many times.

#48 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:28 PM

It was Widnes 'A' v Saints 'A' at Naughton Park in October 1956. Was at Simms Cross Primary School then and up till then following the Chemics from a distance ie the local Weekly News. It heaved down that Saturday afternoon. The wooden pop side stand leaked and the terraces railway sleepers & cinders. Widnes didn't do posh in those days! The outstanding memory from that day though was the tannoy announcement from Knowsley Road St Helens 44-4 Kangaroos.
si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#49 squith83

squith83
  • Players
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:32 PM

mine was Wakefield v Widnes in about 91-92 when i was about 8 or 9. 

my cousins husband took me and i got passed over the turnstyle. there was 5 of us crammed into the back of his car, 4 adults and me. 

there was thick fog and it got called off after about 20 mins. couldn't see a thing. 

the next game i remember my mum and dad took me and we were playing halifax at belle vue. fax scored pretty late on in the corner and their kicker was taking his kick right in front of us. he took ages to take his kick time wasting and i got really upset and started to cry. i cannot remember who was kicking the goal but would still happily punch him in the head. ha. 

#50 60sCat

60sCat
  • Coach
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:51 PM

My dad took me to Wembley in 1960 to watch our team, Wakefield, beat Hull 38-5. That was my first match and been hooked ever since.

#51 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:56 PM

I don't remember the first game I attended, I was only 13 days old...

The first game I remember however, was Batley v Doncaster in 1994. It was a promotion decider and the ground was absolutely packed. I watched most of the game from my grandad's shoulders, and went flying on two occasions: The first time was when my uncle Brendan got knocked out by a late high shot, and the second time was when he went over for Doncaster's opening try, setting up a memorable victory and with it promotion to the big league!

Good times :)

Posted Image

#52 Leyther_Matt

Leyther_Matt
  • Coach
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:04 PM

Leigh v Ryedale York, January 1992 at Hilton Park. John Woods broke the club record for points scored in a game. And it was all downhill from there...!

#53 meast

meast
  • Players
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:20 PM

huddersfield v rochdale hornets at fartown 1987, all i remember was that rochdale won convincingly and that most of the crowd seemed to be from rochdale- i can still hear " curmmm on orrrnets" to this day.

it was at a time when the huddersfield club were on the brink of dying every week, with only a few hundred die hards still remaining on the crumbling fartown terrace.

it was an ex player-tony johnson, who did some youth stuff at our youth club that got us into it, we are still friends to this day and i still remind him of the day he met us in town and took us up to fartown for the first time.

after that, myself, brother and a mate started doing various jobs around the old place, starting off sweeping the terraces/picking up litter/car park attendants/scoreboard operators/ball boys/helping the kit man etc- all for free entry and a free coke and crisps in the supporters bar.

i like to think that the little bits we did went some way to help our club survive in those awful times.

Edited by meast, 22 July 2014 - 06:20 PM.

#54 EssexRL

EssexRL
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:36 PM

Being a southerner (Berkshire born and bred) had to wait until I went to university in Bradford in 1981, Bradford Northern v Hull
London Skolars

#55 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:49 PM

After years of supporting Manchester City and watching them whenever I could, I had grown tired of watching a bunch of cheats throwing themselves to the ground and writhing in "agony" in order to get an opponent sent off. So, when faced with a Teaching Practice at a Rugby League playing school, I decided to go and watch a game for real. On holiday at my parents' house in Manchester, I checked the Manchester Evening News and found Rochdale Hornets v Oldham on December 26th, 1976 kick-off 3.00pm. A quick check with the A to Z and I arrived at the Athletic Grounds with time to spare.

At 2.55pm, out trotted the players. "What a load of puddings!", thought I. "They won't be able to run." By 3.05pm, I knew I had been wrong. These big lads could shift! At 3.10pm, just twenty yards in front of me (just across the speedway track), there was an almighty collision of a tackle. I thought, "He's not going to get up quick!" He did, though! And then played the ball before chasing off across the pitch. I stood, shellshocked, stunned, I couldn't believe what I had just seen. I've only been to one soccer match since that moment, when a friend dragged me along to Charlton v Derby. TGG is the only game for me and has been since ten past three on the afternoon of Boxing Day, 1976.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#56 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 810 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:26 AM

You know, there are some absolutely smashing stories in this topic … it would make a really good book if they were expanded, and personal pictures added etc …

Also, what is interesting to me is how many people are introduced to RL by their fathers/relatives. Just shows the importance of family … and I guess RL can be seen as one big family.

I might add that it was NOT a father or relative who introduced me to RL. My father died when I was VERY young, and my dear mum had little interest in sport, so I remained fairly oblivious to what was going on around me re footy until, at the age of 10, I changed primary schools to one where there were quite a few young RL fantatics - most of whom had been introduced to RL by their dads ! Been hooked ever since!

#57 Adelaide Tiger

Adelaide Tiger
  • Coach
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:44 AM

Did your mate enjoy the game? Was he converted????

He enjoyed the atmosphere as he didn't have a clue what was happening on the pitch.

And no he wasn't converted as he had no interest in any sport and only went to the game because we had been winding him up because he never went out without his girlfriend.

I wouldn't be surprised if he has no idea who David Beckham is.

#58 rugby female

rugby female
  • Coach
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:54 AM

Hmmm! When you can walk in Wigan (often even before!) you are taken to a rugby league match! My fave is Wigan winning the 1st WCC at Central Park! But I attended matches pre WCC.

#59 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 218 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:33 AM

Warrington v New Zealand at Wilderspool in 1979 (I think) as a little lad with my father.

Good times.

#60 salfordjohn

salfordjohn
  • Players
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:45 AM

According to my late father it was Salford v Oldham at the old Watersheddings ground in the mid-sixties when i was four or five. Apparently i ran on the pitch at the end of the game and was returned to my Dad via the arms of Salfords fantastically named prop forward Charlie Bott.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users