Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

First game you attended?

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#81 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:58 PM

My first live match was Fulham v Bradford Northern on the eve of the Challenge Cup Final in 1981. The game was a one-off challenge match between the Londoners who had just won promotion, and my hometown team Bradford who had just won the old First Division Championship for the second year in a row. I was 15.

Bradford got hammered, but I loved the occasion and I've supported both clubs ever since, which makes today of all days a bit of a downer for me, really.

I went to that game aged 8, I remember there was a pretty big crowd...
Posted Image

#82 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:57 PM

How the hell could anyone enjoy any of these games when there were people smoking in the grounds,its a miracle none of you have got cancer from passive smoking

#83 EssexRL

EssexRL
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:32 PM

You know, there are some absolutely smashing stories in this topic … it would make a really good book if they were expanded, and personal pictures added etc …

Also, what is interesting to me is how many people are introduced to RL by their fathers/relatives. Just shows the importance of family … and I guess RL can be seen as one big family.

I might add that it was NOT a father or relative who introduced me to RL. My father died when I was VERY young, and my dear mum had little interest in sport, so I remained fairly oblivious to what was going on around me re footy until, at the age of 10, I changed primary schools to one where there were quite a few young RL fantatics - most of whom had been introduced to RL by their dads ! Been hooked ever since!

Not my family, all of whom come from Berkshire or Hampshire...my dad took me to see ReadingFC when I was four. My introduction to RL came via Grandstand in the 1970s. Used to watch matches, Challenge Cup I guess, Saturday afternoons (when my dad wasn't dragging me to footie) on our black n white TV.
London Skolars

#84 wirecab

wirecab
  • Coach
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:36 PM

First one was a sneak in at half tie round the back of Legends at Wilderspool to see Wire vs Featherstone 1974. Don't remember much about it apart from my feet not touching the floor in the Fletcher end when the crowd started to jump up after Wire scored. Next after this was Wire vs Widnes at Wembley 1975- good day out shame about the score.

Edited by wirecab, 24 July 2014 - 08:37 PM.

#85 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:47 AM

My first game was in 82 or 83, can't remember exactly, but it was Canberra Raiders vs Cronulla at Seiffert Oval. Don't remember much of the game but just the size of the ground, it looked enormous to a 9 or ten year old me! My Dad wasn't an RL fan, he grew up in Adelaide so not sure why we ended up going to watch the Raiders but I didn't mind. For some odd reason I never fell in love wiht the Raiders instead following Penrith for a while when I was a kid, think it was something to do with all my mates at school following the Raiders.

First game in UK was in 94, Leeds vs Wigan at Headingly. Remember looking around the Leeds Market and found the Leeds RL shop and got talking to the woman who worked in the shop and said that I'd come all the way over from Aust just to watch Leeds! She gave a free ticket as a result. Remember standing in the South Stand at about 1:30pm waiting for reserve grade to start!! Only later to realise that they don't do reserve grade in UK on the same day. Could not believe the atmosphere when Leeds ended up winning, the stand was shaking!!

First proper game in UK: Rochdale Horntet vs Barrow Braves, Spotland in 1997. Hornets won and a love affair was born!

I too was at this game with my mates Doctor Dave and The Ginger Love God. Julie who worked in the club shop called me over and said 'This is James, he's from Australia, can he come and stand with you?' He did. And we still stand/sit together at games now whenever we get the opportunity - most recently at Henson Park back in April. Indeed it was James and his mate Jeff (formerly Jeffles on here) who introduced (indoctrinated) me to Newtown Jets.

Great club, great mates, great game.

I love Rugby League, me...

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#86 ozenzud

ozenzud
  • Players
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:46 AM

First ever RL match was probably one I played in as a young tacker. Actually don't remember it specifically, can remember heaps from those days but can't work out the first one. In my NSW country town, in the early 1970's you either played RL or came out of the closet at 6. And in those days coming out was not quite as trendy as today...

First NRL game, 1981 GF, Newtown Jets v Para. Tommy R, Gus Gould, Bugdens on one side, v Kenny, Cronin, Sterling and Ray Price 20-11 to Para.  Jets had that big fight v Manly leading up to it if I have the right year. 57,000 there, was in the old Bob stand. Could barely see a thing.

First game in England, 1990, England v Australia. Think it was 19-12 to England. Sat with a crowd of Wigan supporters. The old bloke next to me was crying next to me. "Greatest day of me life" he said. Ellery had a blinder. over 60,000 there if I recall correctly.

First game in NZ, probably Warriors v Bulldogs at Wellington Stadium or Oz in 1990's.

#87 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:30 PM

Feb 67. Wigan 6 Salford 18 2nd round Challenge Cup. There were 25500 on but I don't remember any problems viewing. I remember 25000 booing the ex-Wigan player Collier when he was sent off, my dad explaining that he had already won the match for Salford. I spent the next few months waiting for the daily paper to arrive for any news of Wigan or RL until dad relented, my next match being a friendly against Bradford to celebrate the opening of the Central Park floodlights, which promptly fully failed several times during the game.

#88 Southern Reiver

Southern Reiver
  • Players
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:46 PM

Never watched the game on television, never read about it in the papers and quite frankly had never heard of Rugby League. Then a team was set up in Carlisle and for some reason I went. August 1981 and err it's stuck with me.
  • nec likes this

#89 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,311 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:54 AM

How the hell could anyone enjoy any of these games when there were people smoking in the grounds,its a miracle none of you have got cancer from passive smoking

Illogical and irrelevant, don't you think? If anyone did indeed get cancer that way, they are hardly likely to be posting a response from the grave.

#90 Reggie9

Reggie9
  • Players
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:05 PM

First match I attended was the 2006 super league grand final at the age of 10. never followed super league before that point and have been a St helens fan every since that day 

#91 crewe viking

crewe viking
  • Players
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:15 PM

My first game was in the 1980s as my dad used to work for ICI in Runcorn so we went to watch widnes a few times

Supported them since but only as an armchair supporter on sky and BBC 

Went to my first game on my own at Salford end of  first season game  back in Superleague - been a few times both home and away  including this weekend game at St  Helens

Watching live you  see how fast and exciting the game is .  The strangest thing I found at Salford was fans sitting in main stand with no bother just a bit of banter

I went to watch world cup in  Warrington New Zealand v Samoa and was devasted when I got there to find it was sold out !

#92 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:45 AM

That's right.  Until the recent smoking ban, absolutely nobody in the history of sporting endeavour had ever enjoyed attending any sporting spectacle.  If only they had been given a choice!  

#93 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:01 PM

Broncos V Huddersfield Good Friday 2000 at The Valley.Seem to remember Broncos winning 42-24ish (they did then you see)

Really enjoyed it, only having previously watched it on the box.

Got a season ticket the following year, and held one up until this season.

Edited by Spicer, 28 July 2014 - 12:02 PM.