League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Mason Caton-Brown, the next Greg Inglis!

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 985 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:01 AM

Been totally impressed with this guy since he reached the Broncos first team. Now he's at Salford with more experienced players fans are gonna see just how good he is.

He has everything that Inglis has, pace, sidestep, upper body strength. Room for improvement with his defence but nothing he can't tidy up. He must already be a contender for one of the England centre positions.

#2 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:10 AM

The next GI? No pressure, then...

Seriously, though, he's good to watch and when you consider his scoring record this year at the winless Broncos, it does make you wonder what he might have done at Leeds, Wigan, St Helens etc.

The 2015 Salford backs could be one of their best line-ups in living memory if they are all fit and in form.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#3 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,832 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:19 AM

Been totally impressed with this guy since he reached the Broncos first team. Now he's at Salford with more experienced players fans are gonna see just how good he is.

He has everything that Inglis has, pace, sidestep, upper body strength. Room for improvement with his defence but nothing he can't tidy up. He must already be a contender for one of the England centre positions.

Greg Inglis was a test player at 19. Caton-Brown is a good prospect and I have said he should be looked at if he continues to perform. However, misses like the one-on-one yesterday which gifted Hull KR a try shows he has a long way to go.

Easy tiger.

#4 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 985 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:28 AM

Greg Inglis was a test player at 19. Caton-Brown is a good prospect and I have said he should be looked at if he continues to perform. However, misses like the one-on-one yesterday which gifted Hull KR a try shows he has a long way to go.

Easy tiger.

Yes he needs to improve his defence

#5 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:35 AM

Easy tiger.

GI would have started playing RL at a much much younger age than MC-B, so the latter still has much to learn. Different sporting backgrounds make a direct comparison unhelpful.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#6 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 992 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:39 AM

I laughed at the thread title!!

Ok, perspective... The guy looks good and is a great prospect but the Next GI? There won't be another player with that all round ability for a long while. The guy can play on one leg and still be better than 95% of the rest of the world.

It'll be good to see how he develops though and whether he can get a place for England in the next couple of seasons. If he carries on progressing a Watkins, MCB partnership could be a good one.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#7 Wollo Wollo Wayoo

Wollo Wollo Wayoo
  • Coach
  • 538 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:44 AM

Maybe the next Paul White?

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys" 2013 & 2014

#8 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 985 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:49 AM

Ok it was a provocative thread title but it's good to get the discussion going, especially when you consider the lack of quality three quarters in recent years.

#9 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:57 AM

I thought you had Ratchford as a centre? Or is it Daryl Clark now he's such a rubbish hooker

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#10 Tre Cool

Tre Cool
  • Coach
  • 461 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:58 AM

This is pretty laughable, not as laughable as when Greg Eden was compared to Billy Slater, or when Mike Worrincey was compared to Ellery Hanley but still pretty laughable.

Anyone with explosive pace can look very good on an RL pitch going forward.  Let's give him a few more games before declaring him even fit for England.  Got to say Id much rather have him in my side than Dan Sarginson, who for me is one of the most over-rated players to come out of London yet.

#11 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,832 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:06 PM

Got to say Id much rather have him in my side than Dan Sarginson, who for me is one of the most over-rated players to come out of London yet.

Must admit that Sarginson was pulling up trees when he first broke into a poor London side - you would have expected him to carve it up at Wigan. This just hasn't happened and he has just looked solid but unspectacular.

#12 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:14 PM

Can't be the new Inglis as he's the new Offiah!!

Let's see how he goes against Leeds on Friday before overdoing it with the hyperbole. Leeds have maybe the best current back line which is what Salford seem to be trying to emulate. We've not come close to beating one of the big sides yet (sorry Huddersfield) so should be a good measure of how the team's progressed over the past month.

#13 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,061 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:16 PM

Sarg is doing no better or worse than might be hoped for. Wigan are very happy with him - he key questions are whether he can learn more defensive discipline and timing his passes so that he becomes a good centre, or should he play 1.

As C-B, he looks a likely lad, and could go a long way. He has a long way to go before you could even replace Cudjoe for GI in the title, but has plenty of raw talent.

#14 Tre Cool

Tre Cool
  • Coach
  • 461 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:56 PM

Must admit that Sarginson was pulling up trees when he first broke into a poor London side - you would have expected him to carve it up at Wigan. This just hasn't happened and he has just looked solid but unspectacular.

I dont remember ever seeing him pull up trees at any London home games. He hasn't got the power to be a top class centre. Would make a good Championship stand off for me at best. Not sure what Wane sees in him tbh. Id be surprised if he's still in Wigan first 17 this time next year.

#15 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,112 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:41 PM

Nobody is going to be the next Greg Inglis. He is probably in the top 5 most athletically gifted athletes across any sport in the world.

For Caton Brown, he has the ability to be a top drawer international centre. His pace is frightening and has a natural evasion about him. Long way to go yet though although he will develop well at Salford.

#16 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:25 PM

No chance
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#17 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:39 PM

If mason caton-brown becomes half the player GI is then England have got a great player for the next decade.

#18 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:24 PM

Some good things happening at Salford in recent weeks. Another player with vast potential is Josh Griffin. All the attributes to go right to the top of the game, but no-one seems to have ironed out his weaknesses as yet.

Posted Image

#19 Middleman

Middleman
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:52 PM

Can't be the new Inglis as he's the new Offiah!!

Let's see how he goes against Leeds on Friday before overdoing it with the hyperbole. Leeds have maybe the best current back line which is what Salford seem to be trying to emulate. We've not come close to beating one of the big sides yet (sorry Huddersfield) so should be a good measure of how the team's progressed over the past month.

I remember Leroy Rivett likened to Offiah, after scoring 4 tries in a C C final , 4 years later he was being out played by Stuart Littler in Championship final.
I remember Kevin Penny as the future international after swapping a basketball for a rugby ball in his debut season for Warrington, no need to qualify this one.
MCB, has great potential, has natural pace and an a great body swerve. I hope he gets the time the tutoring and the conditioning to fufil that potential.

#20 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:09 AM

I remember Leroy Rivett likened to Offiah, after scoring 4 tries in a C C final , 4 years later he was being out played by Stuart Littler in Championship final.
I remember Kevin Penny as the future international after swapping a basketball for a rugby ball in his debut season for Warrington, no need to qualify this one.
MCB, has great potential, has natural pace and an a great body swerve. I hope he gets the time the tutoring and the conditioning to fufil that potential.

I know, anyone black, playing out wide and rapid is the new Offiah. Long way to go before MCB can be considered in the same company as Chariots (unless facetiously like I did). He's off to a good start at Salford, no more than that right now.

Talking of Littler, watched him playing for Rochdale a week back and he's still pretty good at that level. Nice moment where he swatted a pesky little Barrow player away (not Bobby Goulding I'll note) a couple of times without seemingly any thought or effort as he tried to tackle the big man.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users