Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Mason Caton-Brown, the next Greg Inglis!

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:38 AM

Greg Inglis is considerably bigger in build as well as being a handy player, it helps when you have the pace of a Fullback and are the size of a Prop

.Mason Caton-Brown 6ft & 14st

Inglis 6ft 5 & 16st 7lb

Edited by boxhead, 22 July 2014 - 10:39 AM.

#22 Yosser

Yosser
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:22 AM

Greg Inglis is considerably bigger in build as well as being a handy player, it helps when you have the pace of a Fullback and are the size of a Prop

.Mason Caton-Brown 6ft & 14st

Inglis 6ft 5 & 16st 7lb

Exactly, as Ray French used to say 'a good big un will always beat a good little un.'

Sadly I don't think Mason is big enough for a modern day world class International Centre.

May be with more experience they will find another position for him.

Edited by Trojan horse, 22 July 2014 - 11:27 AM.

#23 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,196 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:28 AM

As opposed to Michael Jennings who is pretty similar in size and build.

#24 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 377 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:44 AM

Morris twins are about the same size too if not smaller. They've not done too badly either.

#25 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:49 AM

As opposed to Michael Jennings who is pretty similar in size and build.

Michael Jennings is far removed from the class of Inglis, he is a fringe Test player at best.

I would not have Jennings in the Kangaroo team and the Coach felt the same way in last years World Cup when he used Hayne at Centre to great effect after dropping the patchy Jennings early in the lead up games.

I am not saying Caton-Brown is too small, I am saying Inglis has freakish skills and is fast and very large, that combination does not come round too often.

Edited by boxhead, 22 July 2014 - 11:50 AM.

#26 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,196 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:55 AM

Michael Jennings is far removed from the class of Inglis, he is a fringe Test player at best.
I would not have Jennings in the Kangaroo team and the Coach felt the same way in last years World Cup when he used Hayne at Centre to great effect after dropping the patchy Jennings early in the lead up games.

I am not saying Caton-Brown is too small, I am saying Inglis has freakish skills and is fast and very large, that combination does not come round too often.

I'm not debating whether he will be as good as Inglis, Caton Brown will never be a better centre than him.

I'm arguing that he can be world class regardless of his size. He can be world class but not as good as Inglis. Jennings, Morris x 2, Dean Whare are all similar builds and have performed at international level. I don't this Caton Brown's size will stop him becoming an international level centre.

#27 JM2010

JM2010
  • Coach
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:04 PM

Whether he becomes the next GI or not it shows that London should have much more investment at junior level as there is massive potential to unearth top quality players

#28 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:15 PM

MC-B is still young, and could fillout and bulk up a bit without losing much (if any) pace. It would give him a bit more power in attack and defence, as long as he doesn't overdo it.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#29 Wollo Wollo Wayoo

Wollo Wollo Wayoo
  • Coach
  • 544 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:19 PM

MC-B is still young, and could fillout and bulk up a bit without losing much (if any) pace. It would give him a bit more power in attack and defence, as long as he doesn't overdo it.

You mean like Ryan Hall has?

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys" 2013 & 2014

#30 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 855 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:30 PM

Delusional title. Inglis is the best player ever, while Mason has done well so far, but needs to improve his all round game before even being considered for England duty. 

#31 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:37 PM

You mean like Ryan Hall has?

I was thinking more of Inglis, who bulked up maybe too much a couple of years ago, before finding his most effective weight.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#32 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 377 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:09 PM

I was thinking more of Inglis, who bulked up maybe too much a couple of years ago, before finding his most effective weight.

Maybe more like George Rose would be fun

Delusional title. Inglis is the best player ever, while Mason has done well so far, but needs to improve his all round game before even being considered for England duty. 

Great? Yeah. Best? Hmmm, bit premature for all that.

#33 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,274 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:15 PM

This is pretty laughable, not as laughable as when Greg Eden was compared to Billy Slater, or when Mike Worrincey was compared to Ellery Hanley but still pretty laughable.

Anyone with explosive pace can look very good on an RL pitch going forward.  Let's give him a few more games before declaring him even fit for England.  Got to say Id much rather have him in my side than Dan Sarginson, who for me is one of the most over-rated players to come out of London yet.

Broncos fans didn't seem to rate him all that much so I'm not sure how he became "over-rated". "Wigan seemed to see something in him that others hadn't and mostly still haven't" is a better summary.

Edited by Northern Sol, 22 July 2014 - 08:16 PM.

#34 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 928 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:09 AM

Must admit that Sarginson was pulling up trees when he first broke into a poor London side - you would have expected him to carve it up at Wigan. This just hasn't happened and he has just looked solid but unspectacular.

Sarginson is being played out of position. His best position is not centre. However, there's far too much competition at Wigan for him to be picked in the halves.

#35 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:46 AM

Sarginson is being played out of position. His best position is not centre. However, there's far too much competition at Wigan for him to be picked in the halves.

Good point. I remember him being given a go in the halves when he first broke into the Broncos side and he scored a few good individual tries.

Edited by Scubby, 23 July 2014 - 11:46 AM.

#36 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:52 AM

Good point. I remember him being given a go in the halves when he first broke into the Broncos side and he scored a few good individual tries.

Blake Green's leaving at the end of the season, so Wane may have plans for Sarginson there.

#37 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:35 PM

i like MCB but i really don't think he will become another greg inglis or paul newlove or whoever 

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#38 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 421 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:42 PM

i like MCB but i really don't think he will become another greg inglis or paul newlove or whoever 

He's no Jack Owens, that's for sure.

#39 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:46 PM

do you mind stefan marsh is a centre but why the ridicule for talking up a superb young player from my club ??????

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#40 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:54 AM

Watkins made caton-brown look ordinary tonight
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!