Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Most Versatile "Utility" Player there has been?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:15 PM

Bit of fun time.

The game now has seen many positions become very similar (if any difference at all). "Back in  the day" there were notable differences like certain size per position etc.

In terms of the thread question I am meaning to a good level not just played that position in a team. eg Now Keith Mumby wasn't the most versatile but saw service to a reasonable extent at Full back, S/off and Loose Forward and played for GB in the Centre.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#2 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,440 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:18 PM

Ellery Hanley.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#3 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 379 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:19 PM

For unusual versatility I'll pick a very recent candidate and nominate Tony 'T-Rex' Williams' recent stint playing half back for the Canterbury Bulldogs while the regular halves pairing were playing State of Origin.

He made a decent fist of it too. Must be the largest half of all time. 

#4 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,885 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:24 PM

For unusual versatility I'll pick a very recent candidate and nominate Tony 'T-Rex' Williams' recent stint playing half back for the Canterbury Bulldogs while the regular halves pairing were playing State of Origin.

He made a decent fist of it too. Must be the largest half of all time. 

Largest half of all time has to be Karl Pryce, surely? He had the odd game there for Bradford.

Sam Panapa was a very good all-rounder for Wigan.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:26 PM

Ellery Hanley.

I'm not sure that he was ever a utility player. I would have said his career and positions progressed and he excelled in all of them, but consecutively, rather than concurrently.

People called Romans they go the house

#6 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:33 PM

Kurt Gidley at Newcastle springs to mind. At various stages of his career I've seen him play, Full Back, Wing, Centre, Stand Off, Scrum Half, Hooker and Loose Forward.

It's this versatility that saw him play for NSW IMO.

In the British game I think Jordan Tansey has covered all the back line positions.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#7 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:38 PM

In a recent interview Danny Addy said he thought the only positions he hadn't now played were full-back and wing after Lowes deployed him at 'prop' for a bit in the last few matches.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#8 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,885 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:40 PM

Chev Walker must have covered a few positions in his time.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#9 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 379 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:42 PM

Largest half of all time has to be Karl Pryce, surely? He had the odd game there for Bradford.

Sam Panapa was a very good all-rounder for Wigan.

I'll give you Karl Pryce by height, think T-Rex wins by weight though. 

Also, there was a piece on Tommy Gallagher in the last Rugby League World which mentioned he played everywhere bar one position, can't remember which.

#10 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:59 PM

Chev Walker must have covered a few positions in his time.

Indeed but my point was to a decent standard!!! My point earlier was about to a good level. The odd sub appearance as prop doesn't make him established in that position. Tansey's a good shout.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#11 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,347 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:08 PM

In my opinion and experience, watching these guys playing home at Central Park and away elsewhere, for many years, I'd vote for:

- Billy McGinty ( see http://en.wikipedia...._(rugby_league)

- Sam Panapa  (see http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Sam_Panapa

#12 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:48 PM

Stanley Gene

Halfback, centre, hooker, loose forward

Entertaining as hell no matter where he played

#13 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:58 PM

Stanley Gene

Halfback, centre, hooker, loose forward

Entertaining as hell no matter where he played

Had forgotten about Stanley.... Good call!

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#14 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,209 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:24 PM

The fact this thread got to 12 posts and nobody had mentioned Richard Whiting is appalling.

#15 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,460 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:15 PM

Sam Burgess and Sonny Bill Williams can play anywhere except scrum half and hooker. 

Ellery Hanley could play anywhere except prop and so could, at a push, John Holmes and Henry Paul.

Edited by Wolford6, 21 July 2014 - 07:17 PM.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#16 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:40 PM

Lee Gilmour

Played as an international winger, 2nd rower, Centre and probably had a few minutes in other roles as well

#17 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,595 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:45 PM

jonny Hepworth

all the back positions plus hooker and loose forward

very under rated player.

during any given game these days players move all over the place. 

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#18 Jangling_Jack

Jangling_Jack
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:20 PM

Didn't Phil Veivers play in a fair few positions? He certainly played Full Back, Loose Forward, Stand Off and Hooker while at Huddersfield. I.m sure i read somewhere he played every position but Prop while at Saints although i could've dreamed that.

#19 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:49 PM

Richard whiting.

#20 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,211 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:51 PM

Me. In my time in both codes I played, hooker, prop, second row, back row, scrum half and wing. (of course I wasn't much good at any of them!)

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013