Photo
- - - - -

The Most Versatile "Utility" Player there has been?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:00 PM

Greg Inglis is pretty versatile.

He has been  the stand off of the year a couple of times in the NRL

Has won the NRL Centre of the year

Has represented Australia at Fullback and Centre.

Has represented Qld on the Wing.

He may well end up as a Lock as he gets older.

So he has played at top level across the backs other than Scrum Half,

#22 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 439 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:32 PM

A (somewhat) related question that the US sports writer Bill Simmons used to ask regarding basketball is if you had to have a team of just one player, which player would you pick?

Hard to argue against Inglis, although not sure about his kicking. From Super League it's a tougher question, although I'd be quite tempted by Daryl Clark.

#23 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 799 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:45 PM

Adrian Vowles
Paul Wellens

#24 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,161 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:27 PM

Steve peters for Saints was the ultimate utility player. From memory I'd say he played every position in the backs except winger. He also did that most seasons. I'm pretty sure he also played loose forward second row and hooker in his time.

#25 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:57 PM

Roger Simpson, the ex Bradford Northern, Batley and GB man played in every single position from 1-7 at various stages of his career. One of my favourite Batley players of all-time - only about 5'5 and 11 stone but had terrific pace, strength and footwork.

Edited by TheTerminator, 21 July 2014 - 10:57 PM.

Posted Image

#26 topchef

topchef
  • Coach
  • 380 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:57 AM

I think Bret 'The Spartan' McDermott played in every position in his career with the Cumbrian clubs.

Moff
Go Cumbria!

#27 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:55 AM

I think Bret 'The Spartan' McDermott played in every position in his career with the Cumbrian clubs.

And probably got sent off in each of them.

#28 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:05 AM

Steve Ella and joe Lydon,both great players who could play any position in the backs and could do a job in the halves.

#29 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:07 AM

Craig Wing.

#30 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:06 AM

richard russell was pretty versatile seen him play full back centre hooker and loose forward, maybe in the halves too.
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#31 wigan-1895

wigan-1895
  • Coach
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:28 AM

A blast from the past, but one of the most verstile players has to be Kevin o'Loughlin who played for Wigan (1963-75) in all 13 postions as well as both sub spots

#32 squith83

squith83
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:52 PM

Brett Delaney has played centre, second row, prop and loose forward. and all to a very good standard. 

Craig Hall seems to play in a few positions. so did Sam Panapa. 

I think most players can now play in more than one position these days. but these 2 seem to have good games wherever they are asked to play. 

#33 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

What about players who've made dramatic mid-career positional moves? Peter Edwards, the former fringe Kiwi full-back, ended up as a very effective hooker at Doncaster, and I remember a lad called Mickey Edwards at Oldham who made the move from scrum-half to prop forward.

Posted Image

#34 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,572 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:12 PM

What about players who've made dramatic mid-career positional moves? Peter Edwards, the former fringe Kiwi full-back, ended up as a very effective hooker at Doncaster, and I remember a lad called Mickey Edwards at Oldham who made the move from scrum-half to prop forward.

Peter Edwards also played for Salford, and looked like a good player to me.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#35 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:06 PM

John Joyner was bloody brilliant as a centre, stand off and loose forward

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#36 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,572 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:11 PM

John Joyner was bloody brilliant as a centre, stand off and loose forward

He's almost the forgotten man of his era. What's he doing these days?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#37 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:17 PM

He's almost the forgotten man of his era. What's he doing these days?

I honestly don't know - saw him at Wembley last year and he looks very well and he's involved with local amateur RL at some level around the Cas area

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#38 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 630 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:43 PM

richard russell was pretty versatile seen him play full back centre hooker and loose forward, maybe in the halves too.

sure I daw him play in every position apart from prop when at Oldham. Also Paul Round and Charlie McAlister played every position apart from half back for Oldham.

#39 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:47 PM

Neil Fox

Wing, Centre, Stand Off, Second Row & Prop

World Record Points Scorer

#40 Rioman

Rioman
  • Coach
  • 374 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:50 PM

Nigel Bell. Signed for Trinity as a scrum half. Played SH, prop, second row and hooker.  Never gave less than 100% whichever position he played.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users