Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Bulls withdraw points appeal

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,688 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:03 PM

BULLS WITHDRAW POINTS APPEAL

BRADFORD BULLS can today confirm the club's decision to withdraw its legal challenge of the points deduction imposed earlier this year.

A spokesperson for the board of directors has made the following statement: “As part of our previous press release on the matter, the directors indicated the club would only proceed with legal action in the event it would be of potential benefit to the Bulls.

"With a heavy heart and a degree of reluctance the board have therefore taken the decision not to pursue any legal challenge to the points deduction imposed earlier this season.

"For the record, the original appeal against the points deduction was correct and amongst other factors, was as a result of the Rugby Football League’s policy and procedure being flawed.

"Following the hearing by the Sporting Sanction Appeal Panel, we felt the decision was legally incorrect and all the advice from our legal advisors confirmed this.

"In fact, our appeal has not only endorsed the review of the insolvency policy currently being undertaken by the RFL, but has expedited it – which can only benefit the sport as a whole.

"A number of additional key factors have also influenced this decision. It is important we now focus firmly on the future in order to return Bradford Bulls back to its rightful place among rugby league’s elite. We will not achieve this by looking back and investing further in the past.

"We are aggrieved at the position the club finds itself in and recognise this was brought about as a result of the actions of previous owners and stakeholders.

"Regardless of who owned what and when, we are mindful of the strength of feeling in the rugby league community about us challenging the points deduction however we now feel it is time to move forward.

"More importantly, the board feel our supporters need closure on what has been, for them, a horrible part of the club’s history, allowing us all to focus on the future.

"The club would like to place on record its thanks for the considerable support it has received during these difficult times especially from our legal advisors.

"The current board, the chairman and his fellow directors wish the club and all associated with it to know of the continued commitment to this great sporting institution and we look forward to continued support from the supporters and sponsors."

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,688 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:04 PM

Don't turn this into another argy-bargy over the rights and wrongs of p&r or it'll just end up locked like all the others.

Thanks

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#3 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,404 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:08 PM

Common sense decision.

We are down; let's just get on with it.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#4 gutterfax

gutterfax
  • Coach
  • 246 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:08 PM

Sanity at last. Of the championship teams for 2015 they are the ones with the best chance imho

#5 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:41 PM

Of the championship teams for 2015 they are the ones with the best chance imho

Based on what? Not having a go, just interested in how you come to that conclusion. We have 4 players for 2015 so far, so a lot of water to go under the bridge before you can make a decision about how well we might go. Personally I'm not that confident as it stands, a lot of variables. Not like we'll have the same squad, teams already in that league will have more momentum IMO - we'll be starting cold

Edited by Amber Avenger, 21 July 2014 - 08:43 PM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#6 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:38 PM

Positive intent with Ferguson and Gaskell signings tho. We'll also be able to attract good Champ players I reckon as rightly or wrongly we'll be seen as the biggest club in the league and therefore likely to be up there challenging.

I'm quite looking forward to it ........ Sell out at the Mount here we come!!!
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#7 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,196 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:52 PM

You've signed Ryan Shaw aswell apparently.

#8 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:05 PM

Positive intent with Ferguson and Gaskell signings tho. We'll also be able to attract good Champ players I reckon as rightly or wrongly we'll be seen as the biggest club in the league and therefore likely to be up there challenging.

I'm quite looking forward to it ........ Sell out at the Mount here we come!!!

Mount Pleasant has a current capacity of about 7'000. If you bring 6'500 fans with you (pending our survival this season!) I'll pay your admission myself.

Posted Image

#9 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:19 AM

I think that statement has enough legal and press release spiel to go over the head of most people, me included.

That or someone has had the rent on their ground re-adjusted...

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#10 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:22 AM

As a family of season ticket holders we also each recieved a letter telling us about some meeting/fans forum outlining the intentions of the board moving forward. I didn't read mine yet myself so I'm unsure when it is.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#11 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:38 AM

As a family of season ticket holders we also each recieved a letter telling us about some meeting/fans forum outlining the intentions of the board moving forward. I didn't read mine yet myself so I'm unsure when it is.

Hopefully it won't be yet another load of patronising waffle about making sure "all the fans do their bit". We've done our bit for quite long enough thanks.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

#12 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,081 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:00 AM

So, I asked this question on the locked thread, but does anybody have any idea what has changed? Why have the Bulls now decided it is not in their interests to be principled?

#13 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,617 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:26 AM

I note that the press release says that they have withdrawn their appeal, despite being right about everything all along, and everyone else being wrong.

Talk about petulance!

:rtfm:

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#14 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,992 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:12 AM

I note that the press release says that they have withdrawn their appeal, despite being right about everything all along, and everyone else being wrong.

Talk about petulance!

:rtfm:

They appealed for the good of the game. They were going to court for the good of the game. They have now withdrawn the legal action for the good of the game. Which is nice.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#15 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,688 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:45 AM

So, I asked this question on the locked thread, but does anybody have any idea what has changed? Why have the Bulls now decided it is not in their interests to be principled?

Perhaps because common sense has prevailed?

I hope that's the reason.

I'm a Bulls supporter. I'd like to see them pouring all their efforts and resources into rebuilding the club I used to be proud of from the bottom up, rather than fighting battles that even if they win them would only add to their pariah status within the game.

If the Bulls are to return to Super League, I want it to be as a result of what they've done on the field, not in the courtroom, so we Bulls fans can at last look all our rivals in the eye again and say we've earned it the hard way, and the right way.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#16 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:54 AM

I know a man who can find out; Jamie Jones-Buchanan...

John, pass the message on. :biggrin:

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#17 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:54 AM

I totally agree with John's sentiments, although a more accurate answer to your question is "we don't know and we probably never will" - which fits in with every single event behind the scenes in the past 2 years at Odsal.

SQL Honours

#18 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:11 AM

I would say that they must see it as a 50/50 chance or less of succeeding. Sitting 7 points behind the next team (with only a handful of games remaining) even with the points restored must have been a factor. That and cost that could be targeted elsewhere.

#19 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:02 AM

I would say that they must see it as a 50/50 chance or less of succeeding. Sitting 7 points behind the next team (with only a handful of games remaining) even with the points restored must have been a factor. That and cost that could be targeted elsewhere.

But - and I guess this is kind of the point Dave is making - how is that any different to 4 weeks ago when they launched the appeal? We'd have had no chance if we had got the points back then either realistically as the season was too far gone. The club said it was a point of principle (I read that as they wanted to get something out in the open, although that's pure speculation on my part) - but why after four weeks do they no longer have those principles. Probably because it's more trouble than it's worth - John makes an excellent point that even if we won nobody would have any sympathy for us. However, we just don't know the truth - par for the course with the club these days.

Edited by Amber Avenger, 22 July 2014 - 11:04 AM.

SQL Honours

#20 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:57 AM

Principles cost money.  If the cost of those principles become prohibitive then that's the end of it.  Same for everyone.  Green has probably also realised that it could do more damage to the game and the Bulls if we won a court case and in doing so exposed some unpalatable behaviour at the RFL. 

I suspect a deal has been done somewhere between us and the RFL to make this go away.

Pragmatism rules ok.

Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.