Representing 3 Countries

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 558 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:23 AM

On the "versatile utility players" thread, JohnM suggested Sam Panapa and provided a link to Wikipedia.

It appears Panapa played for 3 countries, New Zealand, Western Samoa and Tokelau.

Are there any other players to achieve such a feat?

Edited by Railway End, 22 July 2014 - 06:23 AM.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#2 Adelaide Tiger

Adelaide Tiger
  • Coach
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:27 AM

The great Alfredo Di Stefano played for Argentina, Spain and Colombia!

#3 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 558 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:37 AM

The great Alfredo Di Stefano played for Argentina, Spain and Colombia!

Did he play for Les Catalans? ;-)

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#4 Adelaide Tiger

Adelaide Tiger
  • Coach
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:05 AM

Did he play for Les Catalans? ;-)

If only. Just think if Warrington had signed him they would have had Bevan and Di Stefano on the wings.

But for those youngsters under 30 who's only knowledge of football is the Premier League, David Beckhams haircuts and Richard Keys I am talking about a legend who played the game when hard men were like granite and the likes of Keane, Viera would be as effective as Lord Snooty against them .... Oh god, these youngsters wont know who Lord Snooty is .....

#5 Celt

Celt
  • Coach
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:36 AM

I think in RL it has happened a few times. 

Current player Eddy Pettybourne at Wigan?  He has played for Samoa and the USA, and has also been in the full Kiwis squad - although I dont think he actually played a test for NZ.  It is not impossible that he could do so in future though.

I will have a think, but i suspect there might be others.

(Tony Puletua has played for NZ, Samoa, and 'The Exiles' in Test matches, although obviously this isn't 3 countries.  David Faiumu has done the same.)

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

#6 7723

• Coach
  • 619 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:40 AM

Harrison Hansen played for England at youth level before playing for New Zealand and then Samoa.

#7 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,123 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:56 AM

I think in RL it has happened a few times. 

Current player Eddy Pettybourne at Wigan?  He has played for Samoa and the USA, and has also been in the full Kiwis squad - although I dont think he actually played a test for NZ.  It is not impossible that he could do so in future though.

I will have a think, but i suspect there might be others.

(Tony Puletua has played for NZ, Samoa, and 'The Exiles' in Test matches, although obviously this isn't 3 countries.  David Faiumu has done the same.)

It would take the sudden retirement of their top couple of hundred forwards.

People called Romans they go the house

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users