Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Why isn't there at least one Elite One Championship side in the middle 8?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 dude02

dude02
  • Coach
  • 329 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:53 PM

AFAIK, the SL is conceptualized as a European league rather than an English one, so wouldn't it be a good idea to have the winner of the Elite One Championship (that's France's highest domestic league) in the middle 8, with a realistic shot at making it into the SL?

Expecting a French side to qualify to the SL through the KP Championship is just not realistic at all, because you can't expect semi pros / amateurs to be able to cross the channel 13 times in a year for the regular season alone and then some more times for the middle 8.

#2 JM2010

JM2010
  • Coach
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:01 PM

I agree there should be a way in for French teams but there has been no mention of this in the restructure. Now that franchising has finished I'm not sure how any other European teams can get into SL

#3 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,040 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:16 PM

It wouldn't be compatible with France playing in winter

#4 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,825 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:59 PM

Finances, part-time players needing lots of time off their proper jobs, against the new ethos of performances on the field - the logistical problems are endless.

Basically - just not enough money in the game.  Chip in enough money and anything's possible.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#5 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:39 PM

Is part of the problem that then the championship and the elite 1 don't know how many teams they'll have until the end of the sl season?

#6 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:47 PM

they are not good enough .......................simples 

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#7 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,825 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:51 PM

They aren't ........ but there are bigger issues than that.

Edited by Griff, 23 July 2014 - 05:51 PM.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#8 PhilCarrington

PhilCarrington
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:37 PM

There's a big gap between Elite 1 and the Championship.

Look how Toulouse did when they were in the championship and that was with a far more generous overseas quota than any of the other clubs in that league, as have all the French clubs that have played in the Challenge Cup over the last decade.

And if a French club were in the middle 8 as suggested, one of the 8s would have 9 teams unless 6 clubs get dumped out of the Championship this season.

I'd love to see a strong French RL, but moving another side out of the French comp won't help.

#9 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,926 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:35 PM

There's a big gap between Elite 1 and the Championship.
Look how Toulouse did when they were in the championship and that was with a far more generous overseas quota than any of the other clubs in that league, as have all the French clubs that have played in the Challenge Cup over the last decade.
And if a French club were in the middle 8 as suggested, one of the 8s would have 9 teams unless 6 clubs get dumped out of the Championship this season.
I'd love to see a strong French RL, but moving another side out of the French comp won't help.

Toulouse weren't even he best semi pro French side when they were in the Championship.
Posted Image

#10 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:24 AM

ditching another traditional english club out of the 8 for a Froggie team just doesnt wash with me and I guess the majority of fans ?

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#11 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 513 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:44 AM

They did get to semi-final of challenge cup before that though.

#12 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,926 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:46 AM

ditching another traditional english club out of the 8 for a Froggie team just doesnt wash with me and I guess the majority of fans ?

I wouldn't be presumptuous.

What extra right do these traditional English clubs have to a place in the middle 8?
Posted Image

#13 hutch

hutch
  • Coach
  • 377 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:57 AM

But if it benefits the sport of rugby league I'm sure all you FANS will be happy?

#14 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,040 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:37 AM

The French season is September to May so should the club in the middle 8 call off their first couple of months games in the French league and then if they don't finish in the top 4 of the middle 8 play twice a week for a couple of months to catch up?

#15 JM2010

JM2010
  • Coach
  • 157 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:48 AM

After reading the press release about the new system there doesn't seem to be any mention of a pathway for French/European clubs to SL.

#16 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:47 PM

The French season is September to May so should the club in the middle 8 call off their first couple of months games in the French league and then if they don't finish in the top 4 of the middle 8 play twice a week for a couple of months to catch up?

To be honest, I think that if the French do want a spot in the middle eight, then they should align their season with SL.

#17 dude02

dude02
  • Coach
  • 329 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:08 PM

They could delay the start of their championship a bit.

#18 dude02

dude02
  • Coach
  • 329 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:09 PM

To be honest, I think that if the French do want a spot in the middle eight, then they should align their season with SL.

All their teams are in Southern France where it's very hot during the summer.

#19 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:17 PM

Like catalans?

#20 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:04 PM

French sides shouldnt be allowed in to SL or the championship as they dont have a smoking ban in operation