Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

will we be able to keep our players

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GLENNGARY

GLENNGARY
  • Coach
  • 233 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:59 PM

Now that the season is coming to an end and championship 1 is beckoning, will we be able to hold on to our best players or will there be a exodus to championship clubs. Being a bit of a pessimist I think we will lose most of our better players, I just hope I'm wrong?. I think Duffy is going to have is work cut out trying to keep the team together and if we do lose our top players where are we going to recruit players good enough to replace them and return to the championship? If Duffy does miracles and we can keep the team together, with one or two new players in the backs we should be good enough to come straight back ,the big question is IF?

#2 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:09 PM

I know that John is starting talks with a number of players. Of course it's going to be difficult recruiting if we take the drop simply due to the reduced funding we will receive.
However John and the BOM will do it's level best to create a competitive team which ever division we find ourselves.

#3 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:34 PM

And the more people that join the trust and attend club events to help keep the money coming in the better.  Oh and there is always shirt sponsorship.

Lets get behind the lads its end of season rally time again.

Bring a mate on Sunday and the players will appreciate it.

Riggy

#4 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:40 PM

Fortunately for us the nearest likely place for players is Leigh who will end up in a higher division and have a squad of 50 plus anyway
Rochdale and Oldham are likely to still be at the same level as us
Our unusually high number of Yorkshire players are the most likely targets
Hopefully the Hawkyards Browny and Zac will stay

#5 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 919 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:28 PM

Gaining promotion at the first attempt is by no means guaranteed. There will be 5 clubs thinking the same thing + those who miss out on promo this year!

Also, will we retain any loan players from Warrington?

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#6 Ralph Swintonrlfc

Ralph Swintonrlfc
  • Players
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:16 PM

Great to see your realism, optimism and enthusiasm gents (Marsy/Riggy). That's the spirit. Let us all do what we can to support the club and get behind JD and the lads. Which ever division we find ourselves in next season we need to retain our committed and better players of course so lets all join the Trust, attend the meetings, buy merchandise, buy a programme, sponsor if you can but most importantly turn up, wear the colours and be positively vocal in your support of the lads. This will obviously give us the best chance of succeeding and coming back stronger as a club as a whole! I'm sure this is already true of most of you who read this forum but remaining positive must surely transmit itself from the terraces onto the pitch thus creating that fan/player relationship that is so important especially when player retention is key moving forward. In other words lets get behind the lads and show em that we want them to stay with us, relegated or not. I'm sure by now JD has a fair idea of the players he would like to keep on so lets give em huge support till the end of the season and see where it takes us! Thanks for bearing with me. Its well meant I can assure you. Come on you lions!!!!!!! Kind regards. Ralph    

#7 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:49 AM

Great to see your realism, optimism and enthusiasm gents (Marsy/Riggy). That's the spirit. Let us all do what we can to support the club and get behind JD and the lads. Which ever division we find ourselves in next season we need to retain our committed and better players of course so lets all join the Trust, attend the meetings, buy merchandise, buy a programme, sponsor if you can but most importantly turn up, wear the colours and be positively vocal in your support of the lads. This will obviously give us the best chance of succeeding and coming back stronger as a club as a whole! I'm sure this is already true of most of you who read this forum but remaining positive must surely transmit itself from the terraces onto the pitch thus creating that fan/player relationship that is so important especially when player retention is key moving forward. In other words lets get behind the lads and show em that we want them to stay with us, relegated or not. I'm sure by now JD has a fair idea of the players he would like to keep on so lets give em huge support till the end of the season and see where it takes us! Thanks for bearing with me. Its well meant I can assure you. Come on you lions!!!!!!! Kind regards. Ralph

Excellent.

#8 greengrass

greengrass
  • Coach
  • 200 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:47 AM

with what I have seen from the few times I have been this year, we have a great team and real close of togetherness and I reckon we could retain 70% of this team for next season have 1 season down and bounce straight back up.

I know the financial implications are there but if you have a coach who you want to play for then what's 1 season in a lower league.  I have confidence in Mr Duffy and the right man to lead to us forward, he is an up and coming manager in our great game who has a point to prove.

Edited by greengrass, 24 July 2014 - 08:48 AM.

#9 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 250 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:39 AM

Well said greengrass - lets all be positive enjoy our new ground visits and bounce straight back

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users