Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The new league structure - discussion, hopes, fears

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:49 PM

As we close in on the end of the current season can some kind soul please explain exactly what will happen next year?
I understand that we will have 2 leagues of 12 initially, splitting into 3 groups of 8. The top 8 will play off to be super league champs. What happens to the rest ?
Thanks.

Edited by Tom Coates, 29 July 2014 - 08:34 AM.

#2 Netherton Ram

Netherton Ram
  • Coach
  • 474 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:40 AM

Today the plans for the league restructuring from 2015 have been announced.

The details are at the link below:

http://www.therfl.co.uk/2015_a_new_era

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

#3 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:50 AM

Basically what happens is this, but this will be a long but hopefully helpful explanation.

The season starts as normal, 2 leagues of 12.
Then the 2 leagues split into 3 leagues of 8.

The top 8 league is for the teams who finish in the top 8 of the super league.

The middle 8 is for the teams who finish in the bottom 4 of the super league and the top 4 of the championship.

The bottom 8 is for the teams in the bottom 8 of the championship.

I believe it's one up one down. So whoever is the top of the middle 8 is promoted to the super league for the next year, I don't know how someone is relegated though, I take it the team who finishes bottom is relegated.
"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

#4 christheram

christheram
  • Non-Batley
  • 472 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:01 PM

I actualy like the new format.. Should be exciting. Not too difficult to understand plus creates important games every week

#5 christheram

christheram
  • Non-Batley
  • 472 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:07 PM

Read netherton rams link.. It's certainly better than the current format! And should help get new sponsors in. Mark sawyer is all for it and I'm with him too!!

#6 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:09 PM

Basically what happens is this, but this will be a long but hopefully helpful explanation.

The season starts as normal, 2 leagues of 12.
Then the 2 leagues split into 3 leagues of 8.

The top 8 league is for the teams who finish in the top 8 of the super league.

The middle 8 is for the teams who finish in the bottom 4 of the super league and the top 4 of the championship.

The bottom 8 is for the teams in the bottom 8 of the championship.

I believe it's one up one down. So whoever is the top of the middle 8 is promoted to the super league for the next year, I don't know how someone is relegated though, I take it the team who finishes bottom is relegated.

Cheers kelsey

Interestingly the RFL must have intercepted my posting however.  The link posted by Netherton Ram explains it as well as anyone ever might be able to...

#7 thehullram

thehullram
  • Coach
  • 235 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:47 PM

5 imports is a bit much though for the 2nd tier. Would have preferred 2 aus/NZ per squad with exemptions for PNG/samoa/Cook Islands etc...

Edited by thehullram, 24 July 2014 - 12:48 PM.

#8 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:08 PM

Sounds OK. I hope they keep the bonus point in 2015 and looking forward to the Big Bash (if we're in it)

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#9 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,166 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:13 PM

14 teams in champ one ... Playing 22 games ? Don't wanna sound a dunce , but why can't they play regular home n away for 26 ? Just as we play this season . Seems arbitrary , and I never like cutting some fixtures off . It's artificial and some will play harder games than others ? Maybe that's to simple though . League any day to a new cup comp.

#10 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:46 PM

14 teams in champ one ... Playing 22 games ? Don't wanna sound a dunce , but why can't they play regular home n away for 26 ? Just as we play this season . Seems arbitrary , and I never like cutting some fixtures off . It's artificial and some will play harder games than others ? Maybe that's to simple though . League any day to a new cup comp.

Totally agree mate nonsense that one !!

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#11 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,620 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:13 PM

On the face of it this looks like an exciting and interesting format. Every game will be important for one reason or another and interest will be maintained right through to the end of the season.

First we need to ensure that we are playing in the Championship next season. If we do then we can target (dream about) the top four; failing that we then have to make sure we avoid the bottom two. Plenty to play for throughout.

I would have liked the DR system to have been finalised by now, and it needs to be done quickly as it will affect some clubs' recruitment policies significantly. On another tack i don't believe that the retention of the BP or otherwise is important and expect it to be dropped - SL clubs won't like it.

Bring it on!!

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#12 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,620 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:15 PM

I believe that the excessive travelling costs implicit in 26 league games were a factor in reducing to 22. Any arbitrariness should be overcome by the play-offs for promotion and a cup competition gives more than one thing for clubs to target.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#13 JimbobRam

JimbobRam
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:35 PM

Was talking to mark sawyer at north wales game Sunday. He says were trying to move from dual reg next season :)

#14 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,166 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:45 PM

The bloke from SLE has just let the cat out of the bag really . He said most resistance came from worried SL clubs , so basically to get them to vote for it they sweetened the pill by giving them every advantage and leg up to get straight back up . Huge finances , overseas , full time etc . It's relegation lite to get the votes . Other teams in that league will be part time , struggling for one overseas and on a fraction of the money ! Nothing like a level playing field is there before a ball is kicked ... You could have a guess at predicting the table at the beginning . We'll look after you Bradford !

#15 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,620 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:46 PM

Was talking to mark sawyer at north wales game Sunday. He says were trying to move from dual reg next season :)

If we don't then we will have to find a new partner club. I can't see it being practicable in the Championship but more straightforward in League 1.

One interesting issue will be the assessment of the salary cap for full-time and part-time clubs/players; the regulations in SL and the Championship are presently quite different.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#16 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 898 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:02 PM

The championship will move to a live cap similar to SL. Not had chance for a proper look at it yet but plenty to play for , if a little complicated. Once we get the season going hopefully it will be a little clearer. It seems the future of DR hasn't been decided yet.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#17 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:14 AM

.....Then at the bottom we see an advertisement enticing us to watch that other code!!!
Legs, Dews, Legs.

#18 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,620 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:53 PM

The championship will move to a live cap similar to SL. Not had chance for a proper look at it yet but plenty to play for , if a little complicated. Once we get the season going hopefully it will be a little clearer. It seems the future of DR hasn't been decided yet.

How can we have a live cap like SL though? All of the incomes of SL players related to playing, their club or people associated with their club counts towards the cap. This would be much more difficult to ascertain and manage in a club with part-time players.

It looks as if we will have to recruit at least a full-time administrator simply to deal with these issues.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#19 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 898 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:01 PM

I have no idea how the RFL intend to apply the rules. As you say the club may need an extra member of staff to deal with it.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#20 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:08 PM

Here's how the Super 8s fixtures will work: http://superleague.co.uk/rlnewera