The new league structure - discussion, hopes, fears

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:28 PM

An interesting factor which the club is no doubt already wrestling with, is how do you price the season tickets? We will have at least 14 home league games but might have 15 and many fans look at the ST option and attempt to work out how much of a saving it woukld represent.

Some clubs might pitch their tickets based only upon the initial 11 home games then bring out a supplementary ticket, but I feel this wouldn't work. They might take a chance on making the Super 8's fixtures pay on the gate, but I also think this wouldn't work Some might take a stab at estimating higher gates next season in any case given the potential rewards and a higher concentration of attractive clubs, but that will also be risky. Interesting times!!

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#22 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:04 AM

Bonus points will not be awarded to Championship clubs next season. Two points for a win, one for a draw and no points for a defeat.

#23 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,745 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:40 AM

Bonus points will not be awarded to Championship clubs next season. Two points for a win, one for a draw and no points for a defeat.

Always thought the bonus point for defence and/or spoiling tactics was a lousy idea anyway. In retrospect, it would have been better to go down the RU route of a bonus point for a certain number of tries scored - it actually does work for them.

#24 BatleyFanAndy

BatleyFanAndy
  • Coach
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:00 AM

Always thought the bonus point for defence and/or spoiling tactics was a lousy idea anyway. In retrospect, it would have been better to go down the RU route of a bonus point for a certain number of tries scored - it actually does work for them.

That might've been a better way to go but at a guess I'd say we've seen the last of any bonus points.
SIGNATURE

#25 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:44 AM

Always thought the bonus point for defence and/or spoiling tactics was a lousy idea anyway. In retrospect, it would have been better to go down the RU route of a bonus point for a certain number of tries scored - it actually does work for them.

It's all RU with you isn't it Grumpy? I think you're just a third columnist.

:P

The BP system was quite fun really, although it actually had very little tangible effect over the years. It will probably be remembered with the same fondness as the John Player Trophy is now.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#26 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 03:09 PM

Disappointed. The bonus point system made more than a few games a tad more exciting in the final quarter. One only has to think back to both Leigh and Fev away last season. Think it's good for the speccies, but why should they count?

#27 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,745 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:27 PM

It's all RU with you isn't it Grumpy? I think you're just a third columnist.

:P

The BP system was quite fun really, although it actually had very little tangible effect over the years. It will probably be remembered with the same fondness as the John Player Trophy is now.

I wake up every day and thank the gods for Rugby Union BSJ - without it there would be no Dewsbury Rams - or indeed Rugby League. :onthequiet: And where would we all have been without the Eton schoolkid who picked up the football and ran off with it  - and his games masters "nice try lad" comment.

#28 RogerT

RogerT
  • Coach
  • 324 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:43 PM

Wasn't it Webb Ellis at Rugby school.

Cheers Roger.

#29 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:56 PM

Wasn't it Webb Ellis at Rugby school.

Cheers Roger.

No, that was a myth created by the RFU (about a Rugby school pupil GOR - Eton had a completely different game which included scrummaging against a wall followed by tormenting the working classes for 20 years; not a very edifying spectacle) after the breakaway to try to reinforce their credentials of origin and surpress the "professional game" along with the hoary-handed oiks who played it.

HTH

GOR has a tenuous point regarding the games origins but, as we all know, if their had been no breakaway we would all be watching RL, not union.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#30 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 12:10 PM

I wake up every day and thank the gods for Rugby Union BSJ - without it there would be no Dewsbury Rams - or indeed Rugby League. :onthequiet: And where would we all have been without the Eton schoolkid who picked up the football and ran off with it  - and his games masters "nice try lad" comment.

Not too sure about that, grumps. Don' forget that, despite the fact that RL came from union, the whole union system was just a stepping stone along the way, since a few of our clubs were playing some kind of 'handling football', long before the RFU came into existence and codified the game to gave it its first national rules. I don't think it's stretching things too far to say that, if there had been no RFU, the already existing clubs would have formed some other kind of union or league in order to have regular fixtures and then there may well have been no RFU. Of course, it's equally true to say that without the union influence, 'rugby' would undoubtedly be a totally different game to the one we enjoy now.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#31 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,891 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:39 AM

No, that was a myth created by the RFU (about a Rugby school pupil GOR - Eton had a completely different game which included scrummaging against a wall followed by tormenting the working classes for 20 years; not a very edifying spectacle) after the breakaway to try to reinforce their credentials of origin and surpress the "professional game" along with the hoary-handed oiks who played it.

Gosh, I'm agreeing with Johnny.  :fie:  The Webb Ellis thing is, indeed, nonsense as it implies that Football was played with the feet alone in 1822 and Webb Ellis had this great idea about picking it up.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  Football was primarily a handling code and was called football because it was played by people on foot.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users