Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

back chat

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:28 PM

The show can be good and Rod Studd does get some suitable contributors.
Trouble is Mike Stevenson is on too much. Whatever subject is brought up Stevenson will give an answer we fully expect, this is always dull despite his bluster to try and make it lively.
I do like Studd, he's quick and was far quicker when the show was internet only. He's had to slow it down to quite an extent.
As far as Dr K is concerned I'm a fan of his. He has saved a great Rugby League club and wants to invest even more £ms in RL than he already is. I like his marquee signing idea.
We used to have star signings at a few clubs every year. Now when someone is signed it's usually from the SL player go round or an NRL man who can't get a first team shirt. Lockwood and Smith do seemed to be tarred with the same boring and unadventurous brush.

#22 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:11 PM

can't believe the way they ridiculed koucash tonight, fair enough if you don't agree with him say so but don't try to make him look like some rich fool who dosen't know what to do with his money.

the bloke is worth three billion he must have some nous, i get the impression the folk who have a go at him are scared of him.

I don't know where this 3 billion is from - the most I heard was 900 million. The Aussie press reported him as a billionaire. But in AUD he is, if he is worth 900 million GBP. Still a pretty penny mind!

#23 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,837 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:02 PM

whatever he is worth we should let him spend whatever he wants, when he packs up and leaves and salford go bust al these having a go now will change there tune as usual.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#24 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:18 PM

whatever he is worth we should let him spend whatever he wants, when he packs up and leaves and salford go bust al these having a go now will change there tune as usual.

Salford were minutes from going bust before he came along, so whats the difference?

Posted Image

#25 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:32 PM

I am saddened by the dinosaurs on Back Chat.  The Doctor has so far invested £2 million into Rugby League.   Whether the comments of his wealth or indeed `only` owning 50% of Salford the fact is that he has put hard cash into the game.  Cas, Wakey have certainly benefitted by his input.   The sniping has to stop or I fear we will lose him.   He saved my club and sadly if he goes then we will die.

#26 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,999 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:44 PM

I am saddened by the dinosaurs on Back Chat.  The Doctor has so far invested £2 million into Rugby League.   Whether the comments of his wealth or indeed `only` owning 50% of Salford the fact is that he has put hard cash into the game.  Cas, Wakey have certainly benefitted by his input.   The sniping has to stop or I fear we will lose him.   He saved my club and sadly if he goes then we will die.

How have Cas benefitted?
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#27 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,440 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:45 PM

How have Cas benefitted?

Sneyd?

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#28 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:36 PM

How have Cas benefitted?

Transfer fees well above the standard rates

#29 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 596 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:40 AM

How have Cas benefitted?

Taking Rangi off your hands therefore allowing Cas to become a team.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#30 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,999 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:47 AM

Sneyd?

Transfer fees well above the standard rates

Both these are "in hindsight"

At the time he came along and destabilised our club by offering silly money to our star player

Cas have benefited from Daryl Powell not Marwan pootash (just to go along with the silly surnames)

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#31 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 596 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:11 AM

Both these are "in hindsight"

At the time he came along and destabilised our club by offering silly money to our star player

Cas have benefited from Daryl Powell not Marwan pootash (just to go along with the silly surnames)

It is highly likely that Powell wanted rid of Chase though. At Fev he always played with 3 or 4 ball players rather than one key man. He looks to be doing the same at Cas.

Salford wanting Chase made life easy for Cas, gave them a transfer fee and released a big chunk of salary cap.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#32 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:55 AM

it is absolutely no different to the featherstone fans having a go at steve o'connor for making widnes a viable and settled club, remember the taunts lads?? "widnes bought promotion"

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#33 Swansea Jack

Swansea Jack
  • Coach
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:33 PM

I notice that the football and cricket equivalent seem to get a 90-minute staged show with sensible reasoned discussion. We get a rushed 25-minute bar squabble with everyone trying to talk over each other. All the useful discussion just gets drowned out. Sums it up really.

I watch Backchat every week but I am becoming disillusioned. Whilst he may have a passion for the game Mike Stephenson is becoming an embarrassment. He tries to drown out all reasonable argument and he and Rod Studd spend the time scoring points off each other, I much prefer Terry O;Connor in the Stephenson chair.Come on Sky make improvements.

#34 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 219 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:57 PM

How have Cas benefitted?

His Twitter accounts gives their fans something to do during the long school holidays.

#35 C H Calthrop

C H Calthrop
  • Coach
  • 287 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:46 AM

Backchat is up there with the Super League Show as being something that is unwatchable. Utterly lifeless. They have formats that would be more akin to the discussion of world Scrabble competitions. The thing about Backchat, which I think reveals a lack of good RL care from SKY is the way  that some contributors represent organisation that don't highlight or even respect RL. Guardian, Times and Telegraph journalists all appear on the show all introduced with the names of their papers the Telegraph in particular has all but completely removed RL from it's copy. It is a production with very little care involved.

#36 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,937 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:33 PM

Backchat is up there with the Super League Show as being something that is unwatchable. Utterly lifeless. They have formats that would be more akin to the discussion of world Scrabble competitions. The thing about Backchat, which I think reveals a lack of good RL care from SKY is the way  that some contributors represent organisation that don't highlight or even respect RL. Guardian, Times and Telegraph journalists all appear on the show all introduced with the names of their papers the Telegraph in particular has all but completely removed RL from it's copy. It is a production with very little care involved.

This is a very good point. I think that we could move away from this traditional broadsheet approach and have representatives from modern media - web editors, club media managers, recently retired players, other freelance broadcasters (i.e. Dave Woods, George Riley, JD at Radio Leeds etc.), trade publications

#37 C H Calthrop

C H Calthrop
  • Coach
  • 287 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:37 PM

This is a very good point. I think that we could move away from this traditional broadsheet approach and have representatives from modern media - web editors, club media managers, recently retired players, other freelance broadcasters (i.e. Dave Woods, George Riley, JD at Radio Leeds etc.), trade publications

I don't think the producers have any ambition to improve the programmes, ultimately they are only fillers. Cheaply done and cobbled together.