Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Manuokafoa to Widnes

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:12 AM

Nice to see the youth production line at Widnes getting another helping hand, eh, VW?

Good signing for Widnes, that. Plenty of grunt and a good offload game.

People called Romans they go the house

#2 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 463 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:53 AM

If true, decent signing for Widnes, generally accepted that we're missing grunt up front that he'll no doubt provide

#3 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,402 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:58 AM

He's a player who blows hot and cold, depending on how fired up he is.  One week, his performance can be great, the next week he can be average. This season, he's mostly concentrated on the average side of his game.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#4 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:20 PM

Decent lower to mid level SL prop.  Usual problem - doesn't run his weight.

Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#5 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:35 PM

Agree with my fellow Bulls in general here - I'll miss him, although I think the most accurate comment is about him not running his weight. Has he actually slimmed down a bit over the past year or two, as I'm sure he was bigger (and had a bit more impact) when he first came over.

Hope he goes well for Widnes - can't blame him going with a 3 year contract, that's decent security considering his past 3 years. Was surprised it was that long, but he's only 29. For some reason I thought he was a bit older than that.

ETA - It's actually a two year deal, some people had been reporting it was three though.

Edited by Amber Avenger, 23 July 2014 - 02:34 PM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#6 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:17 PM

we have a dearth of big props, we have alex gerrard who although a brilliant players lacks a bit of size and of course ben kavanagh and philjoe, manase will fill the gap well for us until adam laughton learns how to bend his back and graft on the pitch 

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#7 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:19 PM

Nice to see the youth production line at Widnes getting another helping hand, eh, VW?

Good signing for Widnes, that. Plenty of grunt and a good offload game.

alex gerrard is a product of our academy and the best prop at the club by miles, but we need a physical presence like manase can offer us alongside philjoe

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#8 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:55 PM

alex gerrard is a product of our academy and the best prop at the club by miles, but we need a physical presence like manase can offer us alongside philjoe

Is he the big lad you once called the beast? Or is that another young player?

Edited by MrFussy, 23 July 2014 - 05:57 PM.

#9 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:47 AM

thats him mate, alex has been awesome for us again this season and is as good as most england props plus he has many years in front of him 

Edited by Viking Warrior, 24 July 2014 - 07:48 AM.

#10 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,194 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:23 PM

thats him mate, alex has been awesome for us again this season and is as good as most england props plus he has many years in front of him

He's at least 15-20 props off the England squad.

#11 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:45 AM

how many times have you seen alex play?????? there again he does play in super league not the championship .................................enjoy the third tier next season 

#12 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 463 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:06 AM

He's at least 15-20 props off the England squad.

Okay then, name them.  Not convinced theres that many English props in the league

#13 Gates1

Gates1
  • Coach
  • 269 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:15 AM

Gérard is no-where near England from what I have seen (granted sky games and vs Cas only).

Burgess X2, Graham, Mossop, Walmasley, Huby, Lynch, Crabtree, Patrick, Hill, Amor, Taylor, Watts....Bailey even.

Would all get the nod first for me, came up with 14 with 30 seconds thought so sure I've missed alot too.

#14 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 463 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:50 AM

Gérard is no-where near England from what I have seen (granted sky games and vs Cas only).

Burgess X2, Graham, Mossop, Walmasley, Huby, Lynch, Crabtree, Patrick, Hill, Amor, Taylor, Watts....Bailey even.

Would all get the nod first for me, came up with 14 with 30 seconds thought so sure I've missed alot too.

I'd argue Gerrard is equal Taylor, Huby, Lynch, Walmaly.

I'd also argue he's better than watts & bailey

Isn't Amor Irish? Or has he swapped

#15 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:13 PM

Nas is steady away, but for a big man doesn't really 'put himself about'. His best performances for us were possibly under Mick Potter when he first came over but since then he seems to have gone into his shell a little. I get the impression he doesn't like to be the leader - for instance when we had Mullaly and Kaufusi on loan, two who did lead from the front, then Nas seemed to perk up and put more effort in himself. Since they left he's back in his shell though.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#16 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,194 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:37 PM

Okay then, name them.  Not convinced theres that many English props in the league

James Graham

Chris Hill

George Burgess

Tom Burgess

Kyle Amor

Mcarthy Scarsbrook

Lee Mossop

Mike Cooper

Alex Walmsley

Adam Walker

Anthony England

Craig Huby

Eorl Crabtree

Larne Patrick

Dom Crosby

Scott Taylor

I also think the likes of Lynch and Peacock are better players but are obviously going to get worse sooner rather than later.

#17 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 463 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:08 PM

James Graham

Chris Hill

George Burgess

Tom Burgess

Kyle Amor

Mcarthy Scarsbrook

Lee Mossop

Mike Cooper

Alex Walmsley

Adam Walker

Anthony England

Craig Huby

Eorl Crabtree

Larne Patrick

Dom Crosby

Scott Taylor

I also think the likes of Lynch and Peacock are better players but are obviously going to get worse sooner rather than later.

James Graham - Yep

Chris Hill - Yep

George Burgess - Yep

Tom Burgess - Yep

Kyle Amor - Yep

Mcarthy Scarsbrook - no chance

Lee Mossop - Yep

Mike Cooper - Nope

Alex Walmsley - On par

Adam Walker - Nope

Anthony England - Nope (and was outplayed by Gerrard last week)

Craig Huby - On par

Eorl Crabtree - Maybe

Larne Patrick - Maybe

Dom Crosby - On Par

Scott Taylor - On par

15-20 is still a bit over the top, Gerrard's a good up and coming English prop in the game... you just don't like him because he plays for Widnes, check his stats out and you'll find he can hold his own against most in SL

#18 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,194 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:15 PM

how many times have you seen alex play?????? there again he does play in super league not the championship .................................enjoy the third tier next season 

Watched him enough times to make an opinion, just because you support a Championship side doesn't mean you can't watch SL on SKY or the BBC.

Last time you made a irrelevant remark about my club in a debate was when discussing Marc Sneyd and Joe Mellor. You slated Sneyd and then after watching him play you started a thread about how brilliant he was.

#19 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,194 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:16 PM

James Graham - Yep

Chris Hill - Yep

George Burgess - Yep

Tom Burgess - Yep

Kyle Amor - Yep

Mcarthy Scarsbrook - no chance

Lee Mossop - Yep

Mike Cooper - Nope

Alex Walmsley - On par

Adam Walker - Nope

Anthony England - Nope (and was outplayed by Gerrard last week)

Craig Huby - On par

Eorl Crabtree - Maybe

Larne Patrick - Maybe

Dom Crosby - On Par

Scott Taylor - On par

15-20 is still a bit over the top, Gerrard's a good up and coming English prop in the game... you just don't like him because he plays for Widnes, check his stats out and you'll find he can hold his own against most in SL

Nothing against him because he plays for Widnes, Widnes have some good prospects but he is no where near the England side.

#20 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 463 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:19 PM

Nothing against him because he plays for Widnes, Widnes have some good prospects but he is no where near the England side.

Well it's either Widnes or Viking Warrior you don't like ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users