• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:09 AM

Hi everyone.

Many of you may know me. Ive been posting here for over a decade and I love Rugby League particularly International Rugby League. Like many of you I want to see our game played around the globe.

I live in Hong Kong (I'm an Aussie from Brisbane) and work in the education system. I have an educational and professional background in Business, Sport Management and Marketing.

I have been reflecting on getting Rugby League up in Hong Kong for a while. And recent discussion in the forum on the Mexico thread has encouraged me to post this topic.

Obviously what ever is done needs to be balanced and sustainable. Not based on any one person. It also can't be just an expats league, there needs to be proper and determined efforts to get Hong Kongers playing. 

Things could begin as an interest group, gathering and recruiting the people we need to make a go of it.

There is an expat Australian population of 90,000 and then you have your people from the UK and NZ. Hk is a well known place to many and it is close to travel from Australia.

I also believe there are many of us out there with links to Hong Kong, or who have visited or work there.

One thing I do know, starting a Rugby League is one of the hardest things you can do and I wouldn't want to be taking any backward steps.

#2 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,593 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:12 AM

I was rather shocked to see the Facebook estimate that 66,000 people have an interest in rugby league in Hong Kong.  That is a large number (slightly unfeasilble in fact).

Do not rush, you would like to watch rugby league with likeminded souls I imagine, so form a Facebook group for that purpose.  That is ideal for getting rugby league fans together and finding out who turns up when they say they will.  

Edited by Bob8, 24 July 2014 - 08:41 PM.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#3 brooza

brooza
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:31 PM

Jake (one of the people involved in Madrid RL) is from HK, he may have some contacts over there (it's a long shot though as he only started with the sport at Uni in the UK and I'm not sure he's been back).

Phone number is +34635349701, but you can get him by email through madridrugbyleague@madridrugbyleague.com

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#4 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:16 PM

Best of luck. It'll be tough for a while, but get those foundations in place, and things can grow surprisingly quickly.

#5 The Partisan

The Partisan
  • Coach
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:01 AM

Mmmm.. so this is where you have got to !  

Good luck with the HK adventure. Know your passion for the international game and with some of the mentoring youi have received from promineny RL administrators I'm sure you'll work your way through the many obstacles that are sure to occur.

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

#6 IM2

IM2
  • Coach
  • 905 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:28 PM

pete choy is an ex skolars players and is from and lives in HK. give him a shout

https://www.facebook.../choywp?fref=ts

Season Tickets 2014
- �85 - season ticket
- �125 - family ticket
- �30 - 4 game pack

skolars shop here:
http://www.skolarsrl.../match-tickets/

Haringey Team of the Year 2014 Skolars U19s

Haringey Club of the year 2011
London RL Club of the year 2011

Skolars if Carlsberg made rugby clubs! Perhaps Leagues most progressive club!

#7 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:19 PM

Thanks to everyone for their comments. They are encouraging and important in shaping the concept.

pete choy is an ex skolars players and is from and lives in HK. give him a shout

https://www.facebook.../choywp?fref=ts

Thank you I will try and get in touch.

#8 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,593 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:13 PM

Is this anything to do with you:

https://www.facebook...6792423?fref=ts

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#9 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:55 PM

Is this anything to do with you:

https://www.facebook...6792423?fref=ts

Yea that's me. Was playing around. Keen to form a RL interest group and cast a wide net for interested parties when the time comes.

#10 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:15 PM

Good luck in your endeavors Die Hard. I guess a good place to start would be Facebook/Twitter to try and engage with an audience and find any interested parties. As you work in the education system, perhaps trying to get a University or school competition up and running would be a good way to try and get locals engaged too? 

#11 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,593 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:20 PM

It is a good start to have the social Facebook group.  More people will be joining now globally, to increase the numbers, which will increase visibility in Hong Kong.

To give you a time line, In 2007 I bumped into another rugby league fan and former player.  A year later, we started to organise in ernest.  We had a nine-a-side team by 2009, that played a visiting from Norway.  We played in a kit that had just been worn by a rugby union team.

I then left the country and things cooled down, bit were revived by 2011 when we had a full 13-a-side team.  The first clubs were formed in 2013.

My point is, it takes time.  When you hear about huge fast growth, it tends to be in less economically developed countries with lots of free land,  Hong Kong falls into that bracket even less than Denmark.  If this year, you can match what we achieved in 2007, you are doing great.

Edited by Bob8, 30 July 2014 - 03:27 PM.

#12 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,593 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:59 PM

From 3 Likes to 50 Likes in 30 minutes, not too shabby.

#13 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,593 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:58 PM

And 100.

#14 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:54 PM

We are now on twitter. https://twitter.com/HKRugbyLeague

#15 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,593 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:14 PM

You have been retweeeted!

I suggest trying to arrange a bar to show a game and getting it out there.  This will take time and if you can just have an informal group of rugby league fans by the end of the year, it is progress.

#16 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:29 PM

You have been retweeeted!

I suggest trying to arrange a bar to show a game and getting it out there.  This will take time and if you can just have an informal group of rugby league fans by the end of the year, it is progress.

I agree. I have one in mind which I have been frequenting for NRL and baseball games. They already play all the NRL games. I head back to HK on Wednesday. 

#17 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,593 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:58 PM

Ace.  Good luck.

#18 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:23 PM

On Saturday night I had the pleasure of meeting Andrew Charles from the Thailand Stars. He was visiting Hong Kong (One of the luxuries of being a gateway city) and we managed to organise a catch up.

Andrew and the TRLA have been very successful with their staged development and work through the Asia Cup. He went into depth about how they started, the challenges and the future.

Andrew can be certainly described as an Internationalist with the game at heart. He gave me valuable advice and someone experienced to bounce ideas off. He was very encouraging and I agree that it should be similar to get Rugby League up in Hong Kong than any other Asian country.

He told me about the upcoming Phuket 9s and offering Thailand as a future opponent if we can form a side for a friendly.

I can really see how a group of nations in Asia, in close proximity could really help each other.

A photo to commemorate the occasion. Here is to international solidarity. I value his support and new friendship. A guy us internationalists can be proud of.

photo1_zps866a5c15.jpg

#19 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,122 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:40 PM

Jake (one of the people involved in Madrid RL) is from HK, he may have some contacts over there (it's a long shot though as he only started with the sport at Uni in the UK and I'm not sure he's been back).

Phone number is +xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, but you can get him by email through madridrugbyleague@madridrugbyleague.com

Should you be posting that on an open forum?

Edited by Shadow, 17 August 2014 - 09:41 PM.

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#20 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,593 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:58 AM

To be fair, not many people read here.

There are also these people, but I am sure you have your hands full with leads at the moment:

https://www.facebook.com/hktouch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users