* * * * * 1 votes

Hong Kong Rugby League

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 brooza

brooza
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:23 AM

Should you be posting that on an open forum?

Taken from the Madrid RL contact page,

http://www.madridrug...e.com/contacto/

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#22 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,118 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:08 PM

Taken from the Madrid RL contact page,

http://www.madridrug...e.com/contacto/

Fair enough

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#23 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:00 AM

From the very first post I flagged that I was conscious of doing things appropriately and having a dual approach of ex pats and Hong Kong locals. 

If you think it is beneficial for our sport to be non existent in one of the world's financial hubs you are wrong. To gain prestige and influence we need to be representative in places such as Hong Kong. 

Being so close to other Asian nations puts us in a position to be able to help these developing RL nations as well. You should not think simply in national sides (Although an authentic national side is the goal), but there are other ways to tour. 9s competitions and clubs. Japan is struggling and is also very close. Not to mention the benefits of attracting multi national sponsors.

There are alot of rugby league lovers here and former players. A lot of them really want a social outlet and have money. It makes perfect sense to harness these people to help with what would be a massive task ahead. To power a true development operation, we need passion and experience in the game. There could also be some amazing connections and links out there just waiting to be discovered in the expat community. It is a dual approach. Proper development is not out of the question, it's on the radar. I haven't even begun to scratch the surface and I have had a school suggest that I teach kids rugby league.

At the end of the day the quest to grow Rugby League is about participation, it isn't about racing for dots on a map. Developing a sport is not easy and first you need to rally the troops.

Please if you are going ###### on people who are having a go, do it elsewhere. Rugby League has had enough of that in its history and we have suffered for it.

#24 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,742 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:24 AM

From the very first post I flagged that I was conscious of doing things appropriately and having a dual approach of ex pats and Hong Kong locals. 

If you think it is beneficial for our sport to be non existent in one of the world's financial hubs you are wrong. To gain prestige and influence we need to be representative in places such as Hong Kong. 

Being so close to other Asian nations puts us in a position to be able to help these developing RL nations as well. You should not think simply in national sides (Although an authentic national side is the goal), but there are other ways to tour. 9s competitions and clubs. Japan is struggling and is also very close. Not to mention the benefits of attracting multi national sponsors.

There are alot of rugby league lovers here and former players. A lot of them really want a social outlet and have money. It makes perfect sense to harness these people to help with what would be a massive task ahead. To power a true development operation, we need passion and experience in the game. There could also be some amazing connections and links out there just waiting to be discovered in the expat community. It is a dual approach. Proper development is not out of the question, it's on the radar. I haven't even begun to scratch the surface and I have had a school suggest that I teach kids rugby league.

At the end of the day the quest to grow Rugby League is about participation, it isn't about racing for dots on a map. Developing a sport is not easy and first you need to rally the troops.

Please if you are going ###### on people who are having a go, do it elsewhere. Rugby League has had enough of that in its history and we have suffered for it.

The trolling post(s) that prompted this response from Diehard have been removed, but I'm leaving this response as it is, as it makes many valid points on the subject under discussion, even though the tone of it feels a bit odd now it is somewhat out of context. Just thought it worth adding this comment to clarify that, rather than remove this whole post as well.

Back to the discussion...

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#25 Yakstorm

Yakstorm
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:36 AM

HK Touch appears to be part of the HKRFU, so I'm not sure how co-operative they are going to be about helping out League, still always an opportunity to reach out I guess...they technically are part of the Federation of International Touch, which means they would be playing under League rules, so if nothing else, they will have players who may associate with League.

Anyway keep up the good work Diehard! Remember they said places like Lebanon, Canada and Jamaica would never take up the code, yet look at them now...

Posted Image

#26 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,552 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:22 PM

HK Touch appears to be part of the HKRFU, so I'm not sure how co-operative they are going to be about helping out League, still always an opportunity to reach out I guess...they technically are part of the Federation of International Touch, which means they would be playing under League rules, so if nothing else, they will have players who may associate with League.

Anyway keep up the good work Diehard! Remember they said places like Lebanon, Canada and Jamaica would never take up the code, yet look at them now...

I'm sure there are RL fans involved in HK Touch because there's no RL alternative and they want an oval ball fix and a bit of fun. Maybe not a lot of people, but I'd bet there are some, and some of those may be useful connections.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#27 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:41 AM

The trolling post(s) that prompted this response from Diehard have been removed, but I'm leaving this response as it is, as it makes many valid points on the subject under discussion, even though the tone of it feels a bit odd now it is somewhat out of context. Just thought it worth adding this comment to clarify that, rather than remove this whole post as well.

Back to the discussion...

Thanks for the quality moderation. I'm well advised by the collective internationalists here.

#28 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 01:07 PM

This Saturday we are organising a meet up to coincide with the Four Nations in Hong Kong.

Event info is here: CLICK HERE

We have had some great offers of support from many talented people. So it is exciting.

We are looking forward to enjoying some Rugby League among fellow lovers of the great sport.

#29 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 11:04 AM

Meet up was a great success. Got to meet some passionate RL supporters who I have been corresponding with and now we can move forward together.

We will have events every week during the Four Nations. And afterwards have a more formal meeting about HKRL.

It was a lot of fun and it was great to meet fantastic lovers of the game. There are a lot of skills and experience we can draw on and I am sure there are more people we can recruit.

#30 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,552 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 03:46 PM

Great stuff - keep us posted!

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#31 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 04:08 PM

We have some keen Internationalists. At least two people in the group were at the World Cup Finals. And we have some people interested in playing.

Edited by DlEHARD, 26 October 2014 - 04:08 PM.

#32 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 03:02 AM

Once again the HKRL crew will be meeting at Delaneys Wan Chai at 3.30 to watch the Final.

All welcome. Be part of the team and the road ahead.

#33 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 02:45 AM

So we had a fantastic meeting, full of brand new RL fans (To HKRL group) and keen internationalists.

We had many people wearing Kangaroos and Kiwis jerseys.

Lots of ideas. Lots of experience and skills. Including members of current RU clubs and former RL players.

We also agreed to start a touch footy team in a couple of weeks. We will call it the 13s, just so people know that we are the Rugby League guys.

Edited by DlEHARD, 16 November 2014 - 02:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users