Hong Kong Rugby League

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 TheLegendOfTexEvans

TheLegendOfTexEvans
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:56 PM

If you had chance to listen to James Halls excellent interview.

www.SoundCloud.com/leagueculture/leagueculture11

#62 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 256 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 11:52 AM

HKRL Chair James Hall with cartons of Redstripe beer in Taste supermarkets in HK carrying the HKRL emblem.

redstripe1_zpsk8datc0z.jpg

redstripe2_zpsi9apiuix.jpg

#63 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 406 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 12:07 PM

Jesus, not only would that be a keepsake but also it's my favourite beer.

#64 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 25,104 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 01:10 PM

Support Rugby League by drinking beer? I've heard worse ideas... like all of them. :P 

Well done with the sponsorship.

Between the optimist & the pessimist
The difference is quite droll:
The optimist sees the doughnut,
The pessimist sees the hole.

#65 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 256 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 03:19 PM

I'll be watching this with about 60+ mad Rugby League fans in Hong Kong. HKRL are holding an event, open bar and pizza.

It's like a UN of Rugby League lovers over here.

Up the Roos!

ANZACTEST2-01_zpsofbiy8d0.jpg

#66 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 704 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:28 PM

I'll be watching this with about 60+ mad Rugby League fans in Hong Kong. HKRL are holding an event, open bar and pizza.

It's like a UN of Rugby League lovers over here.

Up the Roos!

ANZACTEST2-01_zpsofbiy8d0.jpg

Agh, bloody weather! Hope someone has a tape of last year's game. Or actually, I hope someone has an internet with them so they can watch any game at all!

#67 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 25,104 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:45 PM

Both tests will be played on Sunday, according to the BBC. Glad the women's test wasn't completely cancelled, as was suggested by some reports.

Between the optimist & the pessimist
The difference is quite droll:
The optimist sees the doughnut,
The pessimist sees the hole.

#68 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 256 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 05:40 AM

We still had a great night with about 25 people showing up. It was a great success. Origin is going to be huge over here.

We also got to try on some of the jerseys from X BLADES that we will use for the Nines.

Yes, we watched many classic games. I also watched Titans vs Warriors on the big screen on Setanta.

#69 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 256 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 06:03 AM

Considering I made a double post and dont know how to delete it.

Ill tell you about some other news.

HKRL has entered a touch footy team in the HK TOUCH ASSOCIATION (An independent sport here) summer league. The team is called the 13s. It should be fun and be a good tool for outreach and recruitment.

Edited by DlEHARD, 02 May 2015 - 06:06 AM.

#70 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 256 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 06:05 AM

Just some of the lovable HKRL crew. The postponement cut our number in half but we still rate the night as a huge success. Especially because the success of fledgling leagues like ours are also a big social exercise.

11187433_533835773423661_227424319432379

#71 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 704 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 12:13 PM

That's a fake beard surely? :tease:

#72 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 256 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 05:44 AM

http://www.hongkongrugbyleague.com

schoolharrow_kgv.jpg

Harrow International School’s Rugby League traineeship took a significant step forward on Tuesday, June 15 when the school hosted King George V in the first Rugby League clash played in Hong Kong in 2015.

The match, which was the first inter-school Rugby League clash between the two institutions, saw a mix of kids from grades 8 – 10 and a range of different cultural backgrounds go head to head.

Harrow, who have been training with Hong Kong Thunder coach, Jason Fairleigh, were confident of putting up a competitive performance against a King George V School who had already played a number of Rugby League clashes, both internally and against the Australian International School back in 2014.

Played in 15 minute halves due to the high temperatures (33C and 80% humidity) and traffic delays, both schools hit it out in a tight encounter before King George V’s experience helped them secure the 20 – 4 win.

The match will mark the first of a number of inter-school games planned by the Hong Kong Rugby League for the remainder of 2015.

Current the Hong Kong Rugby League Schools program sees Rugby League training offered at four institutions including the Australian International School and Sha Tin College.

#73 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 256 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 05:45 AM

That's a fake beard surely? :tease:

Haha it's very real.

#74 wackojacko

wackojacko
  • Coach
  • 537 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 08:44 AM

Great news, keep up the good work!

#75 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,757 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 11:17 PM

It is a good start to have the social Facebook group.  More people will be joining now globally, to increase the numbers, which will increase visibility in Hong Kong.

To give you a time line, In 2007 I bumped into another rugby league fan and former player.  A year later, we started to organise in ernest.  We had a nine-a-side team by 2009, that played a visiting from Norway.  We played in a kit that had just been worn by a rugby union team.

I then left the country and things cooled down, bit were revived by 2011 when we had a full 13-a-side team.  The first clubs were formed in 2013.

My point is, it takes time.  When you hear about huge fast growth, it tends to be in less economically developed countries with lots of free land,  Hong Kong falls into that bracket even less than Denmark.  If this year, you can match what we achieved in 2007, you are doing great.

Well, this post was not needed.

Congratulations!

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users