Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rugby League's popularity riding high (Merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,381 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:11 PM

You assume only people in Yorkshire and Lancashire watch RL? 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#42 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:14 PM

I have just read a quote from Nigel Wood where he states "The game is at an all time high with almost 39 million watching the game live-either at the ground or on television"

Which leads me to ponder how big the population of Yorkshire and Lancashire really is?

Seriously though to make a broad staement like this, one would presume there are facts to back it up, as of yet though no actual facts seem avaliable.

The plot thickens to quote anotherwell know  fictional character

The problem whenever anyone quotes how many watched the games is it doesn't (and can't) take into account that the same people watch many of the same games. So if there was 39 games on and the same million people watched all the games, do we say there was 39 million watching or 1 million.

There's always a lot of dodgy figures thrown around with regards to viewing stats. For example, whenever the Classico is on in Spain you hear of viewing figures of around 1 billion but it's nowhere near that. That's more potential viewing figures than actual. You have to take it all with a pinch of salt.

#43 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 872 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:15 PM

That's where the 30% came from

2012-13 - 48,700

2013-14 - 63,400

Apologies if I was comparing apples to oranges

No need to apologize... I'm just trying to ensure I'm reading things correctly.

No problems and thanks

#44 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 645 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:34 PM

I have just read a quote from Nigel Wood where he states "The game is at an all time high with almost 39 million watching the game live-either at the ground or on television"

Which leads me to ponder how big the population of Yorkshire and Lancashire really is?

Seriously though to make a broad staement like this, one would presume there are facts to back it up, as of yet though no actual facts seem avaliable.

Aren't something like 50% of viewers from the southern regions of England?

Anyway, If there are 75 games broadcast on Sky at 200,000 per game then thats 15m.  Add in a few million for the CC fixtures, a significant amount for WC games and live attendances up to 3m, it's quite easy to see where the 39m comes from.

#45 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 736 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:37 PM

Just had a look for April 2013 -2014 for 14+ - this is at 63,400...

And is not a true reflection based on previous APS figures as all the other year on year figures from 2006 onwards are based on the participation of players 16 years of age upwards.

http://www.sportengl..._APS7_final.pdf

Edited by LordCharles, 24 July 2014 - 03:39 PM.

#46 IM2

IM2
  • Coach
  • 895 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:55 PM

this all looks great however SL crowds seem dire this year

Season Tickets 2014
- �85 - season ticket
- �125 - family ticket
- �30 - 4 game pack

skolars shop here:
http://www.skolarsrl.../match-tickets/

Haringey Team of the Year 2014 Skolars U19s

Haringey Club of the year 2011
London RL Club of the year 2011

Skolars if Carlsberg made rugby clubs! Perhaps Leagues most progressive club!

#47 D Collins

D Collins
  • Players
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

You assume only people in Yorkshire and Lancashire watch RL?

Apparently roughly half of SL audience are from the south...read that from someone.

Doesn't SL get more viewers than RU Prremiership? Almost certain it does.

There are two big factors that RU has over RL...an international game, but also RU being based in the wealthy south...means higher ticket prices = bigger gate receipts, and with games played in London the game has a bigger profile which means more sponsors etc.

As an outsider (football dominates 90% of my sports interest)...I think being critical of those who run RL is maybe a tad harsh. As a sport it's up against the 8 ball. Maybe if you are in and around the sport you tend to be more critical...but take a step back. True the international game has been neglected somewhat...but then again what opposition is there? What realistically can be done? Play Aus or NZ umpteen times per year? A tri nations could be a goer....2 games in Eng, then 2 in Aus, 2 in NZ.

From an Irish perspective, the World Cup didn't work. Throwing together fellas with Irish heritage was never going to appeal hence low gates. I don't think there are any seeds for growth here (I've never seen anyone play the game here)..therefore RL needs to focus on areas where the game is strong, or does have room for growth (team in France perhaps?)

RL has quite a good deal with Sky sports and SL never seems to be off the screen, and the Grand final at OT gets well publicised. There is very little else that can be done domestically. From an outside perspective, the game itself is viewed as culturally northern...that's it's identity whether intended or not. Then there is RU with its southern base...the toffs from the home counties (and a bit of the southwest)...that's two tribes that cannot co-exist hence the geographic division.

#48 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,425 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:04 PM

Head in sand time again from Nigel Wood. You can use statistics to twist an argument in your favour and thats whats he does. Sadly he is like his mate Ralph Rimmer failing to lead the sport properly and is either blind or ignorant to the many problems in the game. Clubs whether SL or Championship are skint and are struggling. There is alot of anger or unhappiness regarding the RFL and how its doing things from players, fans and Clubs. Maybe its because of the age we are living in but I dont remember so much public criticism of the RFL from clubs in the past. The battle between te amateur and Pro game for youngsters is still there and not being solved. The new system is not one that has gone down well with many people at all and I cant see it lasting long. I know the RFL have a tough job but Wood and Rimmer are not and never have addressed the problems in the game and seem happy to bring out some statistics and say the game has never had it so good. For me the game will be in a mess and lack leadership while Mr Wood and Rimmer are running things.  

#49 Mr Wind Up

Mr Wind Up
  • Coach
  • 179 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:56 AM

It's actually really simple. If you watched 20 games in a season, you are "20 people" effectively. It is much easier for broadcasters and administrators to give a cumulative figure of all the ratings they had during the season, as all they have to do is add up the ratings week to week. For obvious reasons, it is much more difficult to ascertain the precise number of people who watched Super League, because some people watch every game, while others may only see one game. 

Most of that 39 million figure is repeat watchers, ie people who watch regularly. It is most certainly not 39m individual people across Britain. No sport in Britain has anywhere near that amount of fans.

In my best estimate, football has around 8 million regular fans across England, which would not even be a fifth of the population. I suspect that RL is around the 1 million mark. 

Edited by Mr Wind Up, 25 July 2014 - 05:01 AM.

#50 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,006 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:32 AM

And of course the international game is thriving ; )

Am i missing something. What International game?

#51 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:48 AM

this all looks great however SL crowds seem dire this year

They are disappointing and the new system will do nothing to inspire fans to buy a season ticket. If I were a Wakefield or Hull KR fan what would convince me to get a season ticket - over waiting and seeing - when I don't even have a full fixture list to look at during the start of the season? If I wait and see, you could well see me picking my games and attending just 3-4 home matches instead of a guaranteed 12-13. And I can't blame them. Uncertainty breeds hesitancy.

#52 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:18 PM

Below follows a table of average attendances 2013 and 2014

for each of the 14 individual Super League clubs (unnamed)

followed by the calculated figure over all 14 clubs

and also over all 14 (rather than individual clubs) the percentage difference 2013 to 2014.

The individual Super League club figures listed were are given (with each club named)

in a recent posting on our Totalrl.com news-stream page (see link below)

http://www.totalrl.c...ds-investigate/

COMPARISON   -   SUPER LEAGUE CLUB ATTENDANCES    2013  /  2014

Attached Files

Edited by Honor James, 25 July 2014 - 02:36 PM.

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#53 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:38 PM

At last, I managed to find the way to put a table of figures out to forum members.

Attach it!

It's always easy when you know .............

:-)

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#54 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:59 PM

For

COMPARISON - SUPER LEAGUE CLUB ATTENDANCES 2013 / 2014

see attached file (if I can get the damned thing to attach!)

Nope!  (it is always easy when you know how - and I don't)

But OK .............

So if at first you don't succeed .................

The bottom 3 lines of the table read:

Total attendance overall 14 clubs therefore:  2013  =  118.616

2014  = 103,189

Difference over all 14 clubs 2013 to 2014 therefore:    - 15,427

Average over all 14 clubs for 2014  therefore:    13% down on 2013

Bearing in mind, however, that these are just numbers and, in many possible ways, just the numbers doesn't always paint a full picture.

:bye:

#55 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:11 PM

:blush:

Except it did work - the first time didn't it!

Sorry folks ..........

it just took an awful long time to upload and I'm not used to that because i don't normal upload anything.

:-)

#56 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,039 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:53 PM

Totally agree with Lord Charles the RFL is all about spin from the senior figures in the game. The truth never gets in the way of self preservation when Nigel Wood speaks.
The game is a business that is being run by people who are out of their depth. Our competitors Rugby Union and the NRL have made massive strides in the last ten to fifteen years. Why? very simple ....... professional leadership.
We are going nowhere with Barwick, Wood and Rimmer. By the way what exactly does Brian Barwick doing on a daily basis?

Professional leadership maybe, maybe not. It really depends on the quality of who you are leading. Lions led by donkeys has the same outcome as donkeys led by lions.

#57 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:20 PM

Could someone answer this questions if adult /youth  participation is up why are there are record number of games cancelled each week ?

Or is the increased participation in Touch rugby ?

#58 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,039 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:48 PM

Just a thought. RLIF looks after the international game? The RFL looks after the national game?

#59 themainbrace

themainbrace
  • Players
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:11 PM

I'm sure Nigel is right with his statement about the numbers watching the game.  When you add all the number together, spectators + tv viewing figures, it is the tv figures that are going to dictate what the answer will be and with a series of world cup matches on terrestial tv last year this will mean that overall figures are higher. 

That can all be true at the same time that Super League attendances have fallen.  Nigel Wood has done exactly what a lot of business leaders do when presenting their results and emphasising the positive.  To be completely scientific about it he should split the numbers out, so we can compare like-for-like.

On one hand, you could say all the things that have gone well recently with sponsorship for Super League, the Championship and the Challenge Cup as well as the £200 million Sky deal and a succesfull world cup are all things under the RFL's control.  If SL attendances have been lower is that more an issue for the directors of the individual clubs?

#60 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,039 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:31 AM

I really do despair. After nearly 60 years as a supporter of this game, I have seen the game save itself from the brink of disaster several times. It seems to me there are still fans who think it will all end in tears and who lose no opportunity to express that view.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users