best game you ever saw

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:52 AM

Apart from a lot of the games referred to above, Aus-NZ in the World Cup semifinal 1995.

And Hoyland Vikings' against the odds victory against Rotherham in the South West Yorkshire Cup Final - 2002, I think it was.  Great entertainment on so many levels.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#22 Rover and out

Rover and out
  • Players
  • 99 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:04 AM

Agree with the World Cup semi final, for commitment and effort it can't be beat.

The best game I've been at live would be last season when Fev beat Sheffield with a try in last few minutes which I think sealed the league leaders shield for the fourth year in a row.

I'd also mention the 98 grand final between Fev and wakey, I was 11 years old and even tho Fev lost it was that game that made me fall in love with the rovers, I've never felt emotion like it a rugby game.

Edited by Rover and out, 24 July 2014 - 09:05 AM.

#23 Celt

Celt
  • Coach
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:56 AM

I have seen a lot of brillianbt games, and the RLWC semi final was up there. However for me, the best game I have ever seen is the Challenge Cup semi-final between Leeds and St Helens in 2003. 

I don't support either team, but the game was incredible.  26-20 to Saints with a minute to go.  Leeds scored in the corner, and sinfield goaled with the last kick, from the corner on his wrong side.  in extra time a lot of players were cramping, and Danny McGuire hit a drop goal, and then scored a superb solo try to win it.

Incredible match.

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

#24 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,588 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:41 AM

I have seen a lot of brillianbt games, and the RLWC semi final was up there. However for me, the best game I have ever seen is the Challenge Cup semi-final between Leeds and St Helens in 2003. 

I don't support either team, but the game was incredible.  26-20 to Saints with a minute to go.  Leeds scored in the corner, and sinfield goaled with the last kick, from the corner on his wrong side.  in extra time a lot of players were cramping, and Danny McGuire hit a drop goal, and then scored a superb solo try to win it.

Incredible match.

That was an epic. Absolutely loved it.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#25 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,877 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:33 AM

Incredible match.

There was also the 1995 World Cup Semi Final between Aus and NZ which went to extra time and Matthew Ridge missed a long range drop goal - I could have muddled some details!

That stadium has seen some right classics.

#26 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,588 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:57 AM

There was also the 1995 World Cup Semi Final between Aus and NZ which went to extra time and Matthew Ridge missed a long range drop goal - I could have muddled some details!

Extended highlights of that match.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#27 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:03 PM

NZ v Samoa in the WC last year, brilliant entertainment. Also Featherstone v York in the CC 2004 as Gav mentioned. A man down, a lower league and scored in the last minute to get into the QFs as an NL2 side, great stuff!

It's time to park the camels.

#28 Human Punk

Human Punk
  • Coach
  • 327 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:38 PM

Been to some great Wigan v Saints games (not so much recently), and had a surreal out of body experience due to over-excitement at a Cas-Leeds game at Wheldon Road when it looked like Iestyn Harris was about to score a winner (his hat-trick try I think) for Leeds (Cas-Leeds would be my general choice for almost guaranteed entertainment).

But the best would be the 'voluntary tackle' grand final. A good game, a great finish, and made all the better by Jimmy Lowes' massive whinefest.

I can't include the WC semi because it still makes me feel sick to think of it. F'in Sinfield!

I wish I'd been at the 'wide to west' game, that must have been something, although I suspect you had to be watching it on TV to get the full impact of Matt Elliot falling off his seat at the end.

#29 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,710 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:06 PM

1st cc Leeds v Wigan February 1957 OR RLCC final 1965 Hunslet v Wigan Or the Cup final that Terry Webb mentioned Hull v Wigan
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#30 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:53 PM

Great thread VW - my choice is a game I think you may have been at

2007 NL1 Grand final at Headingley Cas v Widnes

Now that WAS a game

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#31 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,942 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:32 PM

The 1992 thrashing of the Aussies at Melbourne, what a day (and night) that was.

Closer to home, the 0-0 draw between Whitehaven and Workington in 1993 was a belter. No points but a game that had everything else, including the best tackle I ever saw by Des Drummond on David Seeds.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#32 JM2010

JM2010
  • Coach
  • 147 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:39 PM

I'm going for Eng vs NZ last year and Origin game 1 this year

#33 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 290 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:19 PM

Wigan vs Leeds, 2003 play-offs

I will never forget that game a man sat next to me was smoking so rather than catch cancer and die i left the ground after 10mins

#34 squith83

squith83
  • Players
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:34 PM

for me as a wakefield fan, 1998 1st div grand final at huddersfield against fev. was the most draining game i have ever been to. had everything in it.

1999 super league v st helens at oakwell in barnsley. saint undefeated in first 9 games and we turned them over in our first season in super league. lyton scott with a drop goal and tommy matryn missed penalty with last kick of the game, albeit from within his own half. 

as a rugby league fan 1995 world cup semi aus v nz was awesome, as already said before. i remember it like it was yesterday. matthew ridge on his wrong foot from about half way just missing with a drop goal will live with me till i die. 

#35 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,167 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:54 PM

Now that WAS a game

I was there that day, in the new stand cheering for Cas.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#36 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,478 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:43 PM

1st cc Leeds v Wigan February 1957 OR RLCC final 1965 Hunslet v Wigan Or the Cup final that Terry Webb mentioned Hull v Wigan

That Wigan v Hunslet was a great game and Hunslet could have won it. A home grown squad with one Welshman against a star studded team of talents.

it was the first time I saw losers go on a lap of honour and boy did they deserve it.

#37 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:57 PM

Aye a belting game. The stadium has seen some cracking games and on occasions these have involved the Giants...

#38 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 509 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:13 AM

Extended highlights of that match.

For those of us who had watched this game I think it made it all the more significant when NZ later won the WC and the 4 Nations.

#39 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:53 AM

Now that WAS a game

trust you kenny

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#40 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:54 AM

and who can forget the 1989 WCC between widnes and canberra raiders tremendous fight back by the chemics to win 30-18

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users