TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

smoking at stadiums

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,668 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:59 PM

is it not hypocritical and counterproductive that some clubs still allow smoking at their stadiums?

many if not all clubs spend the rest of the week promoting healthy living, rugby league itself is supposed to be an advertisement for healthy lifestyles, yet still clubs allow smoking.

Cant people manage without a cancer stick for a couple of hours?

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#2 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,081 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:08 PM

Is rugby league in a position to take the moral high ground and potentially put off fans from coming to games for the sake of a smoking area away from the rest of the fans?
Posted Image

#3 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:09 PM

Can people live without a pint for a few hours,alcohol is hardly part of a healthy lifestyle.Yet that is sold at grounds.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#4 SteveT

SteveT
  • Coach
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:09 PM

As a smoker i've got to say that yes I struggle to go a couple of hours without a smoke especially if its a tight game but ultimately I can battle through. Cant really see how its hypocritical of clubs when they actually sell and promote alcohol, caffeine, fried food and other general food products where none of the nutritional values are available. I certainly can't remember the last time I saw a nice salad being available at a rugby ground.

#5 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,668 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:18 PM

Can people live without a pint for a few hours,alcohol is hardly part of a healthy lifestyle.Yet that is sold at grounds.

alcohol abuse is forbidden at rugby league grounds.

It is possible to consume alcohol responsibly, it is not possible to consume tobacco responsibly

Keeping it local

#6 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,668 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:19 PM

As a smoker i've got to say that yes I struggle to go a couple of hours without a smoke especially if its a tight game but ultimately I can battle through. Cant really see how its hypocritical of clubs when they actually sell and promote alcohol, caffeine, fried food and other general food products where none of the nutritional values are available. I certainly can't remember the last time I saw a nice salad being available at a rugby ground.

I agree with you about junk food, and there is a thread in which this is discussed

see post above about alcohol.

Keeping it local

#7 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:25 PM

alcohol abuse is forbidden at rugby league grounds.
It is possible to consume alcohol responsibly, it is not possible to consume tobacco responsibly

Explain drunk people at games then. Alcohol consumption isn't part of  healthy lifestyle.Your original post wasn't about responsible consumption of any substance.You thread about alcohol wasn't about consumption but the lack of availability of a pint of Scruttocks Old Dirigable or some such real ale.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 23 July 2014 - 06:27 PM.

#8 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,668 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:27 PM

yes

Keeping it local

#9 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:30 PM

yes

Yet you extolled the virtues of the beer at SLS,it appears you can't.

#10 SteveT

SteveT
  • Coach
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:30 PM

I agree with you about junk food, and there is a thread in which this is discussed

see post above about alcohol.

Fair enough mate. I don't for a second believe that smoking in the stands should be allowed but an outdoor area for smokers away from the majority of fans is surely ok. After all consumption of tobacco products isn't illegal and clubs don't exactly shy away from sponsorship from alcohol and in some cases fast food companies. 

#11 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,668 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:31 PM

Explain drunk people at games then. Alcohol consumption isn't part of  healthy lifestyle.Your original post wasn't about responsible consumption of any substance.

Explain drunk people at games then. Alcohol consumption isn't part of  healthy lifestyle.Your original post wasn't about responsible consumption of any substance.You thread about alcohol wasn't about consumption but the lack of availability of a pint of Scruttocks Old Dirigable or some such real ale.

people: bar staff and stewards not doing their job properly. 

there is no responsible consumption of tobacco. My original post was about tobacco consumption i.e. smoking. Others have quite reasonably broadened the discussion.

I only drink alcohol at games if it is worth drinking, which is rarely. If alcohol either the kind I like or the kind I don't was unavailable it would be perfectly acceptable to me.

Keeping it local

#12 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,668 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:32 PM

Yet you extolled the virtues of the beer at SLS,it appears you can't.

yes and I enjoy it

I dont abuse it and if it wasn't available I would still enjoy my afternoon at the rugby.

Keeping it local

#13 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:36 PM

people: bar staff and stewards not doing their job properly. 

there is no responsible consumption of tobacco. My original post was about tobacco consumption i.e. smoking. Others have quite reasonably broadened the discussion.

I only drink alcohol at games if it is worth drinking, which is rarely. If alcohol either the kind I like or the kind I don't was unavailable it would be perfectly acceptable to me.

yes and I enjoy it
I dont abuse it and if it wasn't available I would still enjoy my afternoon at the rugby.

So you can enjoy a pint,yet you would deny people who enjoy smoking.If people want to smoke at grounds and they can,let them.Each to their own.They know the danger yet still smoke.Let them.Just as you enjoy a pint.This isn't about irresponsible use of any substance.Right, now time for a pint of Old Dirigable and a smoke of my pipe,toodle pip.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 23 July 2014 - 06:43 PM.

#14 wackojacko

wackojacko
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:42 PM

Second-hand alcoholism is a lot less common...

#15 SteveT

SteveT
  • Coach
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:42 PM

So you can enjoy a pint,yet you would deny people who enjoy smoking.If people want to smoke at grounds and they can,let them.Each to their own.They know the danger yet still smoke.Let them.Just as you enjoy a pint.This isn't about irresponsible use of any substance.

Cant say i disagree. Again as a smoker I believe that as long as theres a designated space away from where the majority of fans are then theres no harm done apart from the folk inflicting it on themselves.

#16 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:43 PM

Cant say i disagree. Again as a smoker I believe that as long as theres a designated space away from where the majority of fans are then theres no harm done apart from the folk inflicting it on themselves.

This.

#17 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,668 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:49 PM

So you can enjoy a pint,yet you would deny people who enjoy smoking.If people want to smoke at grounds and they can,let them.Each to their own.They know the danger yet still smoke.Let them.Just as you enjoy a pint.This isn't about irresponsible use of any substance.Right, now time for a pint of Old Dirigable and a smoke of my pipe,toodle pip.

yes, because enjoying alcohol responsible can be part of a healthy lifestyle

smoking can't

I'm up for a glass or two of yellowtail chardonnay when the sun is over the yard arm.

Keeping it local

#18 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:53 PM

yes, because enjoying alcohol responsible can be part of a healthy lifestyle
smoking can't

I'm up for a glass or two of yellowtail chardonnay when the sun is over the yard arm.

So we should also ban junk food from grounds too,if you want to go the whole healthy lifestyle route.

#19 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,155 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:01 PM

Indeed.

Live and let live I say,or in the smokers case live and let die. :rolleyes:
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#20 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:32 PM

Assuming you are allowed to nip out at half time, then that's just 40-odd minutes between fags. If you can't manage that, then you have a willpower problem.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users