smoking at stadiums

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#21 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:53 PM

alcohol abuse is forbidden at rugby league grounds.

It is possible to consume alcohol responsibly, it is not possible to consume tobacco responsibly

Are you sure about that? For example, what about if someone only treats themselves to a gasper or two at the rugby? how is that any less responsible than having a few pints?

#22 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,029 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:04 PM

Like I say, we're not exactly in a position to take the moral high ground. We serve fast food, beer, sweets, etc. We don't offer "healthy" side dishes and the like. It would be hypocritical to say "we ban smoking because it's not healthy."

Smoking indoors or in areas of high public concentration, yeah sure. But designated smoking areas, not an issue. Second hand smoke isn't an issue if you're going there for one!

We should try to be more accommodating to people, regardless of their (legal) habits.
Posted Image

#23 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,859 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:38 PM

;) Ah, bless you tax man, bless you all
You may take some but you never take it all
But if I give it all, I won't feel sad
As long as I got enough to buy a harry rag

Harry rag, harry rag
Do anything just to get a harry rag
And I curse myself for the life I've led
And roll myself a harry rag and put myself to bed :smoke: 

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#24 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,609 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:40 PM

So we should also ban junk food from grounds too,if you want to go the whole healthy lifestyle route.

Yes. I'm fed up with people forcing me to eat their junk food and drink their beer , just like smokers force me to I breast their carcinogenic exhilations .

To be honest id ban beer from the stands. Just about fed up of weak bladdered drinkers traipsing back and forth along my row to the bar and urinals when I'm trying to watch the game.

Edited by JohnM, 23 July 2014 - 08:44 PM.

#25 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,592 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:43 PM

Yes. I'm fed up with people forcing me to eat their junk food and drink their beer , just like smokers force me to I breast their carcinogenic exhilations .

To be honest id ban from the stands. Just about fed up of weak bladdered drinkers traipsing back and forth along my row to the bar and urinals when I'm trying to watch the game.

They obviously aren't drinking responsibly. ;)

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#26 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,185 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:12 PM

Are you sure about that? For example, what about if someone only treats themselves to a gasper or two at the rugby? how is that any less responsible than having a few pints?

because there are no circumstances where smoking isn't harmful

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#27 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,185 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:13 PM

Like I say, we're not exactly in a position to take the moral high ground. We serve fast food, beer, sweets, etc. We don't offer "healthy" side dishes and the like. It would be hypocritical to say "we ban smoking because it's not healthy."

Smoking indoors or in areas of high public concentration, yeah sure. But designated smoking areas, not an issue. Second hand smoke isn't an issue if you're going there for one!

We should try to be more accommodating to people, regardless of their (legal) habits.

see the other thread where junk food and so on are discussed

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 23 July 2014 - 09:13 PM.

Keeping it local

#28 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,185 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:15 PM

So we should also ban junk food from grounds too,if you want to go the whole healthy lifestyle route.

see other thread where this is discussed

yes we should

Keeping it local

#29 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,592 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:18 PM

see other thread where this is discussed

yes we should

Mate,it's just people smoking.

#30 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,185 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:23 PM

Mate,it's just people smoking.

well spotted

Keeping it local

#31 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,592 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:25 PM

well spotted

Thank you, I pride myself on my powers of observation.

#32 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,185 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:30 PM

Thank you, I pride myself on my powers of observation.

you'll do for me cock

Keeping it local

#33 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,305 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:44 PM

I used to smoke.  Now I hate the smell of it. When I'm near someone smoking I can't believe I used to pay to inhale that stuff!  But smoking to excess doesn't cause bad behaviour in the way that drink does.  I've seen some appalling sights at rugby through too much alcohol.  As my mam used to say "when beer's in, wit's out"  I enjoy a pint or two at the weekend (well perhaps more than one or two) but I don't drink at the rugby because TBH I've a job following what's going on sober let alone after a couple of pints.  If I were in charge I'd ban alcohol, not sure about smoking.  Fev have banned it but due to one reason or another I haven't been to a game there for a while (holidays and on Sunday a bout of the runs!)  I remember the days of winter rugby, half time just as it was gettng dusk, you could watch the flicker of matches lighting in the stand opposite as they all lit up!  Them were t' days.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#34 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,185 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:55 PM

I used to smoke.  Now I hate the smell of it. When I'm near someone smoking I can't believe I used to pay to inhale that stuff!  But smoking to excess doesn't cause bad behaviour in the way that drink does.  I've seen some appalling sights at rugby through too much alcohol.  As my mam used to say "when beer's in, wit's out"  I enjoy a pint or two at the weekend (well perhaps more than one or two) but I don't drink at the rugby because TBH I've a job following what's going on sober let alone after a couple of pints.  If I were in charge I'd ban alcohol, not sure about smoking.  Fev have banned it but due to one reason or another I haven't been to a game there for a while (holidays and on Sunday a bout of the runs!)  I remember the days of winter rugby, half time just as it was gettng dusk, you could watch the flicker of matches lighting in the stand opposite as they all lit up!  Them were t' days.

they haven't banned it apparently

Keeping it local

#35 Bartholemew Smythe

Bartholemew Smythe
  • Coach
  • 679 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:01 PM

How many RL Stadiums still allow smoking?
We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

#36 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,185 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:03 PM

How many RL Stadiums still allow smoking?

this is a guess but I'd say the 'traditional' ones.

Keeping it local

#37 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,029 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:03 PM

But if there's designated smoking areas at the ground, this won't be an issue. There are at many grounds. In fact, a lot of people don't even realise where they are. You'd have to go out of your way to breathe in smoke at the KC.
Posted Image

#38 Bartholemew Smythe

Bartholemew Smythe
  • Coach
  • 679 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:09 PM

this is a guess but I'd say the 'traditional' ones.

Regards 'traditional ones' is that in terraced areas or throughout the stadium?
We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

#39 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,185 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:09 PM

But if there's designated smoking areas at the ground, this won't be an issue. There are at many grounds. In fact, a lot of people don't even realise where they are. You'd have to go out of your way to breathe in smoke at the KC.

how do you think this squares up with the healthy life style message clubs promote in their schools and community work?

Keeping it local

#40 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,029 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:29 PM

how do you think this squares up with the healthy life style message clubs promote in their schools and community work?

About the same as then serving beer and fast food.

It's all or none in my opinion.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users