TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

smoking at stadiums

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#41 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:47 AM

because there are no circumstances where smoking isn't harmful

More so than drinking alcohol? I've not seen that study...

Edited by zorquif, 24 July 2014 - 05:47 AM.

#42 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:56 AM

You lot sound like a barrel of laughs. A healthy lifestyle can incorporate some treats. You might choose to have that or those during the rugby. Just because they sell beers and pies at the rugby doesn't mean you have to ingest them all the time

#43 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:14 AM

I think l'ang's point is that, unless a smoker stands about 50 yards from the nearest person, people will always be affected by any smoke produced directly or second hand passively from them. Unless they're a clumsy bleeder, you're not likely to get splashed by alcohol, even if somebody is drinking right next to you.

Like has already been mentioned, if you willingly attend a none smoking facility, you should be prepared to do without smoking for as long as you're on the premises of said facility.

I once saw a bloke take a child of around 18 months old into one of the traps at the KC stadium. You could see the smoke coming out over the top of said trap for the duration of his cigarette. He then emerged stinking of smoke, still carrying the child who, presumably, had to "enjoy" the smoke as well. I found this behaviour appalling and an utterly selfish act.

(and before anyone asks, I was suffering with a touch of food poisoning at the time and, rather desperately, needed to spend a little time on my own... :ph34r: )

Lee Radford rang me the other week....I knew Hull FC were a bit desperate but I had no idea it had got that bad.

#44 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:18 AM

I stopped smoking years ago and the only pleasure i get is through passive smoking so please dont ban it

#45 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,080 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:52 AM

I think l'ang's point is that, unless a smoker stands about 50 yards from the nearest person, people will always be affected by any smoke produced directly or second hand passively from them. Unless they're a clumsy bleeder, you're not likely to get splashed by alcohol, even if somebody is drinking right next to you.

Like has already been mentioned, if you willingly attend a none smoking facility, you should be prepared to do without smoking for as long as you're on the premises of said facility.

I once saw a bloke take a child of around 18 months old into one of the traps at the KC stadium. You could see the smoke coming out over the top of said trap for the duration of his cigarette. He then emerged stinking of smoke, still carrying the child who, presumably, had to "enjoy" the smoke as well. I found this behaviour appalling and an utterly selfish act.

(and before anyone asks, I was suffering with a touch of food poisoning at the time and, rather desperately, needed to spend a little time on my own... :ph34r: )

I think they raises other issues then to be honest, like banning children from the smoking area. I agree, totally selfish.

But I think the result of "second hand drinking" is more than second hand smoking. I reckon it causes far more problems than smoking ever will.
Posted Image

#46 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:49 AM

If the facility allows smoking it isn't a non-smoking facility though is it?  If over 50% of the area is uncovered then smoking in that area is perfectly legal and so if the facility decide to allow smoking in that area then it's up to non-smokers to take it on the chin for 80 minutes.  Smoking isn't going to kill anyone over an 80 minute spell.  However, drink enough in 80 minutes and death is possible, and not necessarily to the drinker.  All it takes is one punch ...

#47 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:52 AM

Having said that, an effective alternative for smokers struggling with the tension at matches are e-cigs.  They're legal everywhere and even if a facility bans them you can easily get away with using them because they don't emit smoke and with a bit of clever handling, especially if using a cartomiser e-cig (rather than the liquid ones, which are bigger), nobody has a clue.  As an e-cig user I can confirm this as I got away with using them in Wembley and Cardiff during the world cup. Both are facilities which ban the use of e-cigs.

#48 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,099 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:54 AM

Our clubs just aren't organised enough on match days. You go somewhere like the Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane and they give pass outs onto an external concourse for smokers to go and indulge themselves away from the rest of the crowd. I've not seen anything similar in any RL stadium over here.

#49 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 250 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:04 AM

Having said that, an effective alternative for smokers struggling with the tension at matches are e-cigs.  They're legal everywhere and even if a facility bans them you can easily get away with using them because they don't emit smoke and with a bit of clever handling, especially if using a cartomiser e-cig (rather than the liquid ones, which are bigger), nobody has a clue.  As an e-cig user I can confirm this as I got away with using them in Wembley and Cardiff during the world cup. Both are facilities which ban the use of e-cigs.

I use e-cigs, and they're marvellous. Even my GP thinks so. That said, I was stood OUTSIDE at the Millennium Stadium for the World Cup and was approached by one of the stewards. "You're not going to believe what I'm about  to say..." said he, before pointing out that (even though I was OUTSIDE) I had to go even further OUTSIDE to the concourse.

Apparently they might "worry" some people (or a word to that effect) and make them think you're actually smoking; thus making loads of other people reach for the Embassy Number Ones.

This is how mental it's getting.

#50 Mistress_Marlowe

Mistress_Marlowe
  • Coach
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:23 AM

But I think the result of "second hand drinking" is more than second hand smoking. I reckon it causes far more problems than smoking ever will.

How does other people drinking affect you?

Drinking poisons the individual drinking; smoking poisons the smoker and the passive smokers in the vicinity.

Drinking to excess may cause bad behaviour the drinker, but only then might drinking affect others. One cigarette is all it takes to cause others bodily harm.

Give me 'annoyance' over tar in my lungs any day!

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. ~ Oscar Wilde

#51 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:42 AM

Legally, the mark is more than 50% enclosed.  So, if a stand has no sidewalls, it's legal to smoke there.  If it has sidewalls, that's more than 50%, so you can't smoke there.

Clubs can, of course, increase the restrictions, but not reduce them.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#52 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:42 AM

If the facility allows smoking it isn't a non-smoking facility though is it?

I was talking about a none smoking facility, therefore it's a none smoking facility.

.  As an e-cig user I can confirm this as I got away with using them in Wembley and Cardiff during the world cup. Both are facilities which ban the use of e-cigs.

You must be very proud of yourself. What if somebody had accidentally dropped a glass bottle on your head in spite of them being banned from the stadium but they "got away" with smuggling it in?

Apparently they might "worry" some people (or a word to that effect) and make them think you're actually smoking; thus making loads of other people reach for the Embassy Number Ones.

This is how mental it's getting.

I don't think it's "mental", it's a very good point.

The second hand smoking I'm talking about is where people inhale smoke either directly from another person's cigarette or the smoke they exhale.

You don't see many drinkers gargle their alcohol then spray it out over everybody near them.

Edited by Old Frightful, 24 July 2014 - 08:44 AM.

Lee Radford rang me the other week....I knew Hull FC were a bit desperate but I had no idea it had got that bad.

#53 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,659 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:47 AM

More so than drinking alcohol? I've not seen that study...

http://www.nhsgrampi...lthy-living.pdf

http://www.wikihow.c...ink-Responsibly

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC1972463/

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 24 July 2014 - 08:51 AM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#54 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:45 AM

They should bring back the John Player Trophy and have them birds giving cigs away

#55 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,659 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:51 AM

They should bring back the John Player Trophy and have them birds giving cigs away

correct.

I once copped for a blender. This lass came up to me in the car park and asked me what cigs I smoked. I told her John player and have me the blender. I was lying of course.

Keeping it local

#56 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:55 AM

So:

number 1 - I can't see where it says that drinking alcohol, even under those guidelines, does not harm the body.

number 2 - doesn't mention harm nor the lack thereof

number 3 - a review for a book published in 1981. You can drink and stay healthy does not say that the alcohol does not cause harm - just that you can manage that harm to acceptable levels. Which is basically the message from the rest

In any case, none of those compare smoking to drinking and the harm caused by each. I would wager that the harm done to the body by one gasper isn't that much worse than one pint.

Edited by zorquif, 24 July 2014 - 09:55 AM.

#57 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:01 AM

Smoking is a bit like sex the next best thing to doing it is watching someone else doing it

#58 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,659 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:04 AM

(and before anyone asks, I was suffering with a touch of food poisoning at the time and, rather desperately, needed to spend a little time on my own... :ph34r: )

your second para is important

what I'm really concerned about is the duality of values regarding the message clubs try to get across in their education and community schemes and what they find perfectly acceptable on match days.

Keeping it local

#59 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,659 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:09 AM

So:

number 1 - I can't see where it says that drinking alcohol, even under those guidelines, does not harm the body.

number 2 - doesn't mention harm nor the lack thereof

number 3 - a review for a book published in 1981. You can drink and stay healthy does not say that the alcohol does not cause harm - just that you can manage that harm to acceptable levels. Which is basically the message from the rest

In any case, none of those compare smoking to drinking and the harm caused by each. I would wager that the harm done to the body by one gasper isn't that much worse than one pint.

http://www.mayoclini...ol/art-20044551

if alcohol was banned at rugby league grounds I would be fine with it.

Keeping it local

#60 alan30058

alan30058
  • Coach
  • 189 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:21 AM

Can people live without a pint for a few hours,alcohol is hardly part of a healthy lifestyle.Yet that is sold at grounds.

The clubs make big profits from the bar sales.

They wouldnt make anything by allowing smoking.

Selective moralising methinks  ;) ??

Edited by alan30058, 24 July 2014 - 04:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users