League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The all-new never-ending League Restructure debate (Many merged threads)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
759 replies to this topic

#21 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:11 PM

As a fan of a Championship On.. Ahem, League One club I'm baffled by the decision to play 1st vs 2nd at the end of the year to decide automatic promotion with the loser dropping into the play offs with 3rd, 4tg and 5th.

What a pointless game, the league winner should go up automatically with 2-5 contesting for the second place via play offs.

Probably because they don't all play each other home and away. Not ideal but it would likely cause more strife if it was straight promotion.

#22 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 630 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

What a pointless game, the league winner should go up automatically with 2-5 contesting for the second place via play offs.

But arguably the League 1 regular season isn't entirely fair, as teams don't play everyone home and away. So the top team may have played the 2nd placed team at home but not away, thereby giving them an unfair advantage.

#23 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

As a fan of a Championship On.. Ahem, League One club I'm baffled by the decision to play 1st vs 2nd at the end of the year to decide automatic promotion with the loser dropping into the play offs with 3rd, 4tg and 5th.

Agree with this, I'd also have liked to see winner of Championship go up to the Super League the following year with the rest decided by the middle 8.

If the idea is to make every game count, league winners should count for something more as this is where most games are played.

#24 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 900 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:02 PM

I'm ok with the re-branding, although not a massive fan of the Million Pound Game - sounds a bit tacky, but then in the world of Magic Weekend, Summer Bash, T20 Blast etc then at least it has something to talk about,.

Plus nowadays million pound game for what we perceive as a major sport is not a lot with respects to get media talking or even excited. If anything it reinforces the poor mans aspect... as people will invariable compare to other headline sports.

#25 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 900 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:06 PM

I thought it is because not all teams play all teams twice.  Fixture list includes an element of geography and some teams may only play a other team once.  Thus the top team may have played different teams less or more times than the other team.

So I would have thought its to introduce some fairness..... Not saying I agree with a league that doesn't have you playing all teams twice home and away... but there we are... anyway reminds me of the other decades.

Anyway in case you missed the info:

How will the new structure work for League 1?

The 14 League 1 clubs will each play 22 games – 11 home and 11 away, playing each other once and nine teams twice with fixtures scheduled on a geographical basis

Edited by redjonn, 24 July 2014 - 02:11 PM.

#26 bamfordsbeans

bamfordsbeans
  • Coach
  • 174 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:17 PM

Has the payment to all clubs been announced. If so does anybody know what it is?

#27 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:49 PM

Given that the decision's been made, we'll just have to wait and see how it pans out (I'll give it three years before they're back to the drawing board - any other offers?). Old b*gg*rs like me  might see a certain resemblance between the Championship one structure and the old RL one division set up.

#28 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:58 PM

Ey up - so really, to snatch the place in the top league really one of the championship clubs only has to win ONE game against a SL club? THE MILLION QUID GAME indeed... Does that put to bed the naysayers (me included) that the game in the salary cap will prove too much? Bascially, even if the gap in caps is so much that a championship club can't hope of coming in the top four of the middle eight, they only have to beat their fellow championshippers and then a one off versus the SL teams?

#29 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:51 PM

Ey up - so really, to snatch the place in the top league really one of the championship clubs only has to win ONE game against a SL club? THE MILLION QUID GAME indeed... Does that put to bed the naysayers (me included) that the game in the salary cap will prove too much? Bascially, even if the gap in caps is so much that a championship club can't hope of coming in the top four of the middle eight, they only have to beat their fellow championshippers and then a one off versus the SL teams?

As a result of the salary cap difference between the bottom 4 SL and top 4 Championship sides there could be an awful lot of mismatches in that middle 8 before you get to the million pound game, which might kill interest in it before it happens.

As a fan of one of the Championship's newest members (Bradford, sigh) I hope that isn't the case, but Bradford haven't exactly been competitive this season while managing on half the Sky cash their opponents have had at their disposal, so the omens aren't great for a more even competition when that situation is replicated across 4 clubs in an 8 team mini-league.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#30 Colin James

Colin James
  • Coach
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:03 PM

The solution to the problem of semi-pro clubs finding the gap to SL too big to bridge seems to be to simply make promotion difficult. You have to beat professional teams with a semi-pro squad to go up. It's just a weak attempt at appeasing those who want proper P&R. What happens if after three seasons not one team has actually been promoted?

#31 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:17 PM

As a result of the salary cap difference between the bottom 4 SL and top 4 Championship sides there could be an awful lot of mismatches in that middle 8 before you get to the million pound game, which might kill interest in it before it happens.

As a fan of one of the Championship's newest members (Bradford, sigh) I hope that isn't the case, but Bradford haven't exactly been competitive this season while managing on half the Sky cash their opponents have had at their disposal, so the omens aren't great for a more even competition when that situation is replicated across 4 clubs in an 8 team mini-league.

Agree with this. I said it a few weeks ago, any club doomed in the bottom 4 places (with a few games to go) will not be able to resist the temptation to rest key players ahead of the split. They will want to be firing on all cylinders come the "Qualifiers" because they will want to ensure they are back in SL again. I can certainly see a club like Wakefield or Hull KR putting second string sides out against the likes of Leeds, Warrington and Wigan at the end .

This is what full time professionalism is all about. Better players, bigger squads. It is all stacked against the Championship sides.

#32 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,536 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:44 PM

A nit-picking question maybe but valid all the same: how will slary caps be measured in clubs with full-time players and those with part-time players? Currently there is a significant and justifiable difference between the systems of assessment of RL income between SL and Championship clubs. Unifying these will be difficult I believe.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#33 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:44 PM

If we get promoted this year it looks like we'll have a bluddy hard time staying up!

It's time to park the camels.

#34 Colin James

Colin James
  • Coach
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:54 PM

There's going to be chaos if the bottom four SL teams get through the P&R playoffs for the next three years and nobody is promoted. Within five years we'll be having another re-structuring.

#35 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,867 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:04 PM

The fact that they've finally changed the name of the league is a huge bonus. Championship One (the league below the Championship)? How bloody stupid is that!
Posted Image

#36 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,122 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:21 PM

n

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 24 July 2014 - 06:21 PM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#37 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,093 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:11 PM

Can Martyn or someone genuinely find the answer to my following question;

When will the fixtures for the 'Super 8' trio of leagues be decided? It's mentioned how many games the teams play, but, without knowing who will be in the league, how can clubs market, budget and organise the Super 8 fixtures?

And, like John, I now ask not only as a Super League fan but a newly relegated Championship fan too.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#38 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:22 PM

40 community clubs is down from 44 last year. Can't help but feel that will be down again if league 1 expands, also if they're not inviting every NCL club they may as well be honest about what they're doing and drop it to 20 so we don't need the extra round

are there qualifiying rounds?

#39 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,123 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:54 PM

What a terrible mess.

We may well have appeased some fans of the big Championship clubs and we may have widened some interest at the end of the season. But at what cost?

It will be completely impenetrable to the casual fan, who won't hang around to have the context explained. They'll have already switched over to the darts.
People called Romans they go the house

#40 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:56 PM

There's going to be chaos if the bottom four SL teams get through the P&R playoffs for the next three years and nobody is promoted. Within five years we'll be having another re-structuring.

Won't last that long. As soon as it becomes clear that the bottom 4 SL clubs in 2015 will retain their places for 2016 (ie half way through the qualifiers) there will be calls for change. In fact, if there are a couple of big scores in the first week of qualifiers we won't even have to wait for the halfway mark.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users