Photo
- - - - -

The all-new never-ending League Restructure debate (Many merged threads)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
759 replies to this topic

#141 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:53 PM

Of course similar would apply to Keighley, they didn't have fans during cougar mania, they had hangers on who all feked off ASAP when the going got tough, and would all have feked off as soon as the team were getting good hidings in SL.

This is true. Of course how the Cougars would have done in SL is a moot point as they never got the chance.

#142 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:56 PM

well not being a clever person myself I didn't understand a word of that, although you seem to be calling someone a liar.

How do you know if you don't understand it ?

#143 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,411 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:58 PM

which games aren't?

what does it have to do with this thread?

Read the entire article and see what sort of a man we've sold our game to.

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#144 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:01 PM

I don't understand that. It's much too clever for me.

All I know is that Batley, and also Keighley and Hunslet wouldn't have had a prayer in super league. The one season they would have spent there would have ruined them, and they would have contributed nothing to Super League

You can't know that as these teams were never given the chance. If you were correct, then these teams would have had several companions in distress from Gateshead to Paris with several points in between.

#145 themainbrace

themainbrace
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:15 PM

Would this be the wrong time to say I'm sort of looking forward to next season just to see how it goes?

#146 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:16 PM

really?
I'm a rugby league fan
This year I've followed Hunslet Hawks, next year I'm thinking of following the bulls, but I'm not sure yet.
Nobody has the right to look down on someone on account of the way they choose to spend their leisure time. The 'I'm a better fan than you, I've walked barefoot to whitehaven in a blizzard' qv doesn't have a lot going for it. Nobody has anything to prove.

Nobody is saying anyone is better than anyone else. I am debating the semantics of fanatic over supporter. Being one or the other doesn't confer superiority.

#147 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:30 PM

Well I thought fan was short for fanatic so based on the meaning if that word I would expect true fans to stick with their team no matter what. Given that Bradford have lost 10,000 supporters since their zenith in SL perhaps we shouldn't classify the missing as fans in the true sense of the word, fair weather or resolute.

Maybe, ggodtime, fair weather supporters would be more apt as a moniker for the missing.

are all people who go through the turnstiles fans? You are describing what is more commonly referred to as a die-hard..... stick through thick n thin at every game etc...

just sayin...

whats interesting is crusaders got bigger crowds in champ1 against teams who were supposed to not travel well/have no fans....

finally Bradford have an advantage over other champ clubs as they will be receiving the same central funding as everyone else! They are not used to this so they can now be on a level playing field for once (apart from batley away).....

#148 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,834 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:49 AM

We overthink everything in RL.

Ooh, we may play 2nd teams... oooh, Lee Briers may play for oxford blah blah blah.

Things generally work out fine.

#149 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,769 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:07 AM

You can't know that as these teams were never given the chance. If you were correct, then these teams would have had several companions in distress from Gateshead to Paris with several points in between.

That's just nonsense. course they had a chance. Of course they had and still have a chance. What was stopping them from doing what Fev did.....going for an SL licence.

#150 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,769 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:10 AM

Read the entire article and see what sort of a man we've sold our game to.

Is a puff for a book written by someone who does not like Murdoch published by a failing left wing newspaper waging a vendetta against success. Right up your street, it seems.

#151 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:27 AM

they were saved not shafted.

As were Keighley.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#152 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:29 AM

That's kind of like the mediaeval trials for witchcraft where if you were innocent, you drowned when they threw you in the water. Poor Batley, they were saved by being left to drown in the dark, deep waters of the championship because they earned their SL spot honestly on the field instead of being the recipients of the sorcerers arts from the ruling coven of chief warlocks Caisey and Lindsay.

Saved, yeah, alright.

Batley have consistently said that they're not up to $uperleague and never applied for entry.

I'd call that realistic.

#153 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:33 AM

Quite, but Widnes and Fev were dispensable. The cabal of kingmakers got several things seriously wrong.

Surely Widnes and Featherstone were casualties of the fans' desire to have things decided "on the field".

They should've won more games than Halifax, Oldham, Sheffield and Workington.

#154 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,732 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:59 AM

How do you know if you don't understand it ?

I said you 'seem' to be calling someone a liar…I was reaching for an explanation

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#155 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,732 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:00 AM

As were Keighley.

correct

Keeping it local

#156 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,732 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:00 AM

Batley have consistently said that they're not up to $uperleague and never applied for entry.

I'd call that realistic.

Dewsbury Rams did the same

Keeping it local

#157 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,732 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:05 AM

Nobody is saying anyone is better than anyone else. I am debating the semantics of fanatic over supporter. Being one or the other doesn't confer superiority.

Bradford Bulls seem to have 6,000 'fanatics' in one of their lousiest seasons: to call people who follow a football team fanatics is ridiculous. This is more than their putative replacements can hope for on the back of success. Who knows what that would translate to in the face of a weekly hammerig.

You invoked the term 'fanatic' and used it in terms of those who followed Bradford Bulls.

Keeping it local

#158 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,732 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:06 AM

Would this be the wrong time to say I'm sort of looking forward to next season just to see how it goes?

me too

Keeping it local

#159 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,732 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:07 AM

according to you I'm not a fan

Keeping it local

#160 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,411 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:14 AM

Bradford Bulls seem to have 6,000 'fanatics' in one of their lousiest seasons: to call people who follow a football team fanatics is ridiculous. This is more than their putative replacements can hope for on the back of success. Who knows what that would translate to in the face of a weekly hammerig.

You invoked the term 'fanatic' and used it in terms of those who followed Bradford Bulls.

the word fan is a diminutive of fanatic

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users