TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

League Restructuring

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Colin James

Colin James
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:56 PM

What does everyone think of the new structure?

The RFL say they can't do straight promotion and relegation because of the gap between the semi-pro and full-time clubs. Their answer is to make semi-pro teams play full-time teams for the right to go up. Then when they go up they still have to bridge that gap. I don't understand how this play-off system will help. Or is that the point? To appease clubs demanding P&R while protecting SL Clubs?

Not happy with just 2 P&R spots between Championship and Championship One either. Could make it very hard for teams relegated this season. Won't be easy going back up. How long can clubs survive in Championship One? Three teams will play at least two seasons travelling further for smaller crowds than they do currently.

#2 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:49 PM

I would imagine that those teams in the Championship with Super League aspirations will go full time.

#3 wberry2013

wberry2013
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:00 PM

The fans want p&r but I don't think that the rfl do so for me they've come up with a structure where to me it's going to be vvery difficult to gain promotion. In the old days you just had to be better than the teams in your division but now to gain promotion you will have to be better than half the division aabove you

It's a awesome deal for the super league clubs butI think Leigh, fax etc will be complaining in a year or to...

Does anyone know what salary cap the likes of Leigh will have compared to the super league clubs

Wayne

Edited by wberry2013, 24 July 2014 - 05:02 PM.

#4 Colin James

Colin James
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:04 PM

Imagine if the bottom four SL clubs win the play-off series for a few years running. It's not inconceivable that this system won't actually see anyone promoted and if that happens we'll be restructuring the whole thing again in a few years.

I suspect we may see some clubs gambling with their finances to try and get promoted and if they miss out on promotion for a few years of said gamble getting into real difficulty.

#5 wberry2013

wberry2013
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:54 PM

Imagine if the bottom four SL clubs win the play-off series for a few years running. It's not inconceivable that this system won't actually see anyone promoted and if that happens we'll be restructuring the whole thing again in a few years.
I suspect we may see some clubs gambling with their finances to try and get promoted and if they miss out on promotion for a few years of said gamble getting into real difficulty.

Thats the way I see it going....

Simple question, would leigh beat teams like salford, wakey, fc, and kr now in a league and then in a play off?? I would guess, no! This is definitely not a dig at leigh, it a dig at the rfl and SL shafting them.

Wayne

#6 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:28 PM

I don't have a specific problem with the format. At the end of the day, the opportunity to proceed in the league is there if you are good enough. If you are better than the team above you, you will proceed and if not then you won't. Best teams will be in superleague each year.

Normal P&R does have the issue that a relegated team is often better than the one being promoted. This new system is effectively using a playoff of sorts for the bottom of the superleague and top of SL 2 to decide who goes into SL. It does therefore have the potential to offer both P&R and some stability for clubs as there is unlikely to actually be much movement.

By the way, I do not like it and my major concern is the over stretching of some present championship clubs to achieve something beyond them financially. I feel that the "look after yourself" attitude of the rugby league at present will see that the better championship teams struggle and will smash themselves to pieces on the rocks of Super League 1.

But they have the chance.

Edited by Little Lion Man, 24 July 2014 - 07:31 PM.

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

#7 wberry2013

wberry2013
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:07 PM

Very well put, I think between the last few post on here we've pretty much summed up how it will go.

I totally agree with your fear about some "top" championship clubs over doing it, trying to reach for the carrot.

Wayne

#8 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:02 PM

There is one thing I did not understand about the new System ( yes just one!). The quite - "With annual promotion and relegation restored, there is a recognition that all teams need to use the same points scoring system."

Why? What difference does it make if the points scoring system in league 1 is different just because a team gets promoted for the following year? The middle 8 gave points zero'd as they come from two differing leagues anyway so just cannot see why that is so important.

But they always need something to decide on the week before the league starts! (That and DR of course).

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

#9 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:01 AM

Personally I think the system is flawed. Yes ok we accept that the SL teams are full time thus stronger but in fairness this is simply because those who qualified way back when had a massive advantage.
Yes teams now in the championship can mould themselves as SL clubs but realistically how many can sustain it?
Surely a better distribution of RL money would be a better solution. As for the play off system .... Association Football doesn't recognise it at any level so why is it good for RL , ok it may generate a touch of interest at the end of the season but the best team can still lose out on promotion .

#10 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:49 PM

In truth this system is all geared up for the Bulls and the Broncos to make it easier for them to get back in to SL.    Solly says there is no "parachute payment" for those two relegated teams but adds that they will each pick up £750k being the highest payments for the top 2 Championship clubs!!!!!   But the top 2 Championship clubs this year will only pick up £550k and £500k.

The 4 SL teams that will play in the middle 8 will have had several years in SL and the £1.65 million they have received in Sky money each year and they will have a team financed by about £2 million from Sky money next season.   The top four Championship clubs IF 2 of them are the Bulls and the Broncos will have a team assembled on £750k, £750k, £550k and £500k funding.   They are not calling the £1 million match that for nothing!!!!!

The bit that narks me is that Solly keeps saying they consulted the fans.    Well I'm sorry but there are a heck of a lot fans that I know who were never consulted, not even by their own clubs who actually voted this system in.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#11 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:06 PM

The world's best sport mismanaged for over a hundred years

#12 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:43 PM

What sort of a competition will the Championship evolve into with a mix of full and part time clubs.Theres needs to be a distribution of monies so that the second tier can be full time .

#13 dummy scissors

dummy scissors
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:02 PM

In truth this system is all geared up for the Bulls and the Broncos to make it easier for them to get back in to SL.    Solly says there is no "parachute payment" for those two relegated teams but adds that they will each pick up £750k being the highest payments for the top 2 Championship clubs!!!!!   But the top 2 Championship clubs this year will only pick up £550k and £500k.

The 4 SL teams that will play in the middle 8 will have had several years in SL and the £1.65 million they have received in Sky money each year and they will have a team financed by about £2 million from Sky money next season.   The top four Championship clubs IF 2 of them are the Bulls and the Broncos will have a team assembled on £750k, £750k, £550k and £500k funding.   They are not calling the £1 million match that for nothing!!!!!

The bit that narks me is that Solly keeps saying they consulted the fans.    Well I'm sorry but there are a heck of a lot fans that I know who were never consulted, not even by their own clubs who actually voted this system in.

Yes Keith, that really does add up to a fair and level playing field!

As far as League 1 is concerned - if that is where we are playing next season - why oh why have they gone for a system where the teams involved don't play each other home and away?  I suppose it is to accommodate the new cup competition but I hate that type of league set up. Also the team that finishes top at the end of the league season has to go into a play off with the team that finishes second instead of being promoted by right which is stupid in my opinion.  If there has to be a play off system for the second promotion place let the teams second to fifth slug it out so that there is at least a clear reward for coming out on top of the league.

I must admit it seems a crazy, convoluted, confusing and contrived set up altogether to me but I suppose the fans will have to put up with it and support their favourites no matter what.  As Keith T points out the RFL consulted the fans before implementing the new system - not!!

#14 Spelly

Spelly
  • Coach
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:17 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/28464023

"--- and then on the eighth day, God created Rugby League."

Daily, my intense dislike of the Pinks, Rugby Yawnion, Manchester United, and far-right politics, grows ever larger, and will continue to do so forever more!

Question! What's the connection between Rugby League and Rugby Yawnion? Answer! There isn't one!

My girl-friend asked "If you had to choose between me and Swinton who would it be?" I replied "You know the answer to that one without even asking!"

#15 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:37 PM

official RFL stuff on website

#16 Colin James

Colin James
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:23 PM

That league one format is madness. What's wrong with Home and away, league winner goes straight up, second to fifth play in a simple play-off series (2nd v 5th, 3rd v 4th and then a final) to determine second promoted team? I'd have preferred at least three promotion/relegation spots mind.

They keep banging on about the success of the World Cup. So what do they do, crowd the calendar with domestic fixtures that don't and won't get new fans in, meaning less time for internationals. All that interest generated by the World Cup has dissipated now. When is England's next top class (NZ or Aus) international? It's going to be pushing a year on from the World Cup semi-final isn't it?

Can anyone on the Trust or board answer what consultation there was between the RFL and the club?

#17 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 644 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:31 PM

As far as we can deduce there was consultation via the championship clubs' quarterly forums of January and April this year, neither of which were attended by any member of the current BOD. I attended the July meeting but by then it was pretty much a done deal. But I gained the impression that many C1 clubs favoured a shorter fixture list owing to the considerable costs of travel.

#18 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:49 AM

Blake Solly says that the Bulls and the Broncos will not receive a parachute payment but they will receive the highest payment from the Championship of around £750k, so does this mean that at the end of next season (2015) the top two clubs will be collecting £750k with the 3rd and 4th picking up the £500k that the top two this year are fighting for?

Also there will be a parachute payment from the Championship to Championship 1 this year but ONLY for the clubs finishing 10th, 11th and 12th who will get £15k each, with nothing for the bottom two clubs.

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#19 glemiln

glemiln
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:05 PM

Also there will be a parachute payment from the Championship to Championship 1 this year but ONLY for the clubs finishing 10th, 11th and 12th who will get £15k each, with nothing for the bottom two clubs.

http://media.therfl....tember 2013.pdf

6.9  Those clubs who competed in the Championship in 2014 finishing outside top 9 will each receive £25k to faclitate transfer to C1 (League1) in 2015

5.1.29   The Champion club from tier3 (League1) will be automatically promoted and a second club promoted via play-off between clubs 2-5.

Next season League 1 clubs 1 and 2 will now play off to be promoted with the loser having, potentially, 2 more play-offs to get promoted. Clubs 3, 4 and 5 could face only two games to promotion!

5.3.13   The Tier 3 salary cap would remain at £150k with the opportunity for clubs to receive dispensation to spend up to £200k!

The salary cap for the Championship was due to increase to £900k per club.

League 1 clubs were originally scheduled to receive £75k funding for both seasons 2015 and 2016, the bottom 4 Championship clubs £150k each season.  Has it changed?

Welcome to the level playing field

It will not come as a surprise if the RFL has since changed the detail, but were the clubs consulted?

My feeling is that a lot of clubs have either sleep walked into next season or simply shrugged their shoulders, grinned and decided to be thankful for small mercies.

#20 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:40 PM

Sorry, glemlin but that document is way out of date and has been completely re-hashed.   I checked with the RFL this week and the reply I got was that the 10th, 11th and 12th teams this season will receive £15k with nothing for the bottom two.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users