Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

RL Express Cream of the Championship Crop

...youve got to laugh...

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 252 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:13 PM

RL Express/TotalRL have today published their "Cream of the Championship Crop" team at http://www.totalrl.c...mpionship-crop/

here it is, in all its glory...can you spot a slight selection bias?

Full-back – Miles Greenwood (Batley)
The Batley full-back has been in incredible form so far this season, bagging 19 tries despite a difficult campaign for John Kear’s men. If they are to stay in the Championship, the experience and class of Greenwood will prove vital as the business end of the season approaches.

Right wing – Liam Kay (Leigh)
Kay is one of the most prolific wingers in the Championship, and will surely be attracting the attention of Super League clubs if he continues in his incredible vein of form. However, will he choose to stay with the Centurions instead?

Right centre – Scott Turner (Sheffield)
It’s been a difficult season for Sheffield – at least in comparison to the last couple of years. However, Turner has been a real bright spot for Mark Aston’s side this campaign, popping up with some crucial tries and some big reads in defence. A class act.

Left centre – Steve Tyrer (Halifax)
A goal-kicking extraordinaire as well as a classy centre, Tyrer’s recent decision to pen a new deal with Halifax will have been music to Fax fans’ ears. Strong and robust – as well as classy with ball in hand – Tyrer is a top centre, and one of the best outside of Super League.

Left wing – Alex Brown (Batley)
Brown is a rampaging winger who impresses almost each and every week for Batley. He’s known to have sat a few defenders on their backsides over the course of the season, and if Batley make the play-offs, the likes of Brown make them a tricky prospect to play against.

Stand-off – Scott Murrell (Halifax)
Murrell has been outstanding since signing for Fax last season, and he proved himself as perhaps the best stand-off outside of Super League with an incredible performance against Whitehaven last weekend. With ball in hand, he’s one of the most dangerous players in the league.

Scrum-half – Ryan Brierley (Leigh)
The incredible Brierley continues to grab headlines all across the country – with the Leigh half-back already grabbing an astonishing 29 tries in 2014. With Leigh riding high at the top of the league, the form of Brierley will be vital in their pursuit of honours.

Prop – Mitch Stringer (Sheffield)
Stringer is a top forward who only knows one way – forward. The Sheffield powerhouse has played a key role in their back-to-back Championship successes, and will play a key role in the remainder of the season – as the Eagles chase safety.

Hooker – Anthony Thackeray (Dewsbury)
Technically not a hooker, but the form of Anthony Thackeray has played a big role in Dewsbury’s chase for a play-off place this year. He has a knack of scoring stacks of tries, and is arguably the Rams’ best player.

Prop – Luke Ambler (Halifax)
Ambler, like Mitch Stringer, is a barnstorming prop who has a real classy offload. He is Halifax’s key man in the pack in 2014, and he has all the tools to go on and play Super League in the coming years.

Second row – Tommy Goulden (Leigh)
Goulden is a classy back-rower who has been in top form for Leigh so far this season. Often has a knack of coming up with a real game-changing play from nowhere.

Second row – Ross Divorty (Halifax)
Divorty has it all; offloads, power and even a touch of pace. A try-scoring second row forward who is a joy to play with as a centre, Divorty is one of Halifax’s top assets as the business end of the season approaches.

Loose forward – Sam Barlow (Leigh)
The former Halifax man has a reputation for being fiery, but that only serves to make him an even bigger asset for Paul Rowley’s men moving forward.

no Fev or Donny players - four Leigh players (none of which I'd argue with)...but 4 Fax players and 3 former Fax players...

in unrelated news, the guy who wrote this article is the League Express hack who regularly covers Halifax (and Bradford Bulls) games for the paper.

So...anyone fancy a straight swap of Greg Worthington for "classy centre and goalkicker extraordinaire" Steve Tyrer? :rofl:

#2 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:21 PM

With a bit of luck the S/L clubs will look at it and we won't lose any players we want to keep
  • jkb likes this

#3 The Blues Ox

The Blues Ox
  • Coach
  • 104 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:32 PM

For me the 4 Fax players are in there on merit but obviously I see them each week. I could argue Saxton and Johnston have been unlucky not to get a mention but those 4 have consistently been our better performers this year and for me I think Murrell is the best player in the Championship and at the moment Ambler is the best prop. Im biased though.

It would be interesting to see how it compares to the team of the year at the end of the season as the team of the weeks are usually a good indication so i would say with that in mind Tyrer and Ambler would be in but maybe not Divorty and Murrell.

Edited by The Blues Ox, 24 July 2014 - 04:34 PM.

#4 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 252 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:30 PM

Im biased though.

That's the point - every fan could name our Championship dream team consisting from our own players of 1-13 , but this is a supposedly unbiased media one that's been compiled by a guy who has probably only watched one team regularly all season.

#5 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,194 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:39 PM

Sounds like Fev's shopping list for next season, oh hang on Mr Moneybags has left :lol:

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#6 Deano44

Deano44
  • Coach
  • 303 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:28 PM

Sounds like Fev's shopping list for next season, oh hang on Mr Moneybags has left :lol:

not half as funny as the drubbing you got at the weekend piggy.....I would wait until your clear of the Championship 1 trap door before scoffing at others old cocka  :tease:

#7 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,416 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:29 PM

Thanks for the emoticon, that way we know your comment is hilarious!

Three ex-Fev players in there anyway.

###### list. On current form I think Sharp, Worthington, Mendeika, and Ellis could be in there.

• jkb likes this

A Fev Blog

#8 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:50 PM

to put a scrum half in front of Andy Ellis at hooker just shows how silly this is.

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#9 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:52 PM

Thanks for the emoticon, that way we know your comment is hilarious!

Three ex-Fev players in there anyway.

###### list. On current form I think Sharp, Worthington, Mendeika, and Ellis could be in there.

Wouldn't swap them 4 for anyone in the championship

#10 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:20 PM

Turner plays on wing for eagles not center 

#11 saddleworth

saddleworth
  • Coach
  • 223 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:12 PM

Not worth replying to. All mouth and trousers.

#12 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:56 PM

And you Sir are a James Blunt.

#13 RedAndGoldArmy

RedAndGoldArmy
  • Twitter
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:00 PM

As a Sheffield fan, Scott Turner shouldn't be anywhere near centre selection, an out and out winger who's extremely consistent at that. Surprised to not see Ellis in at hooker, nearly as surprising as Stringer being in, probably our third best prop this year behind Lillycrop and Battye.

We're The Red and Gold Army!!  

Championship Champions of 2013 and 2014

#14 Snowys Backside

Snowys Backside
  • Players
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:20 AM

Leigh have 5 in !!!

Alex Brown is ours too !!

#15 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,905 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:13 AM

It's all subjective and we all have club bias so don't take it too seriously. For example, I haven't seen a better second row than Brett Phillips this season but because he plays for Town he wouldn't get considered.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#16 Monkeymagic22

Monkeymagic22
  • Coach
  • 169 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:17 AM

These so called teams are a bit fun, has no real relevance for me.

#17 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:33 PM

Ellis and Sharp are realistically the only Fev players who could be considered, Mendeika has been class but which is his best position? Worthington has been absent through injury quite a bit, and so have all our star forwards of last year,apart from Lockwood who hasn't hit lat seaon's heights so far. On current form I would put Andy Kain in contention, but he started the season struggling with injury, and is now in transition between traditional stand off and playmaker with his kicking game coming on leaps and bounds. I've a feeling he will be up there by the end of the season, dodgy groin permitting, and there could be one or two more. But could you pick anyone else but Brierley and Cooke in the halves, no matter how well Murrell has been playing? 

#18 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,002 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:52 PM

Mattinson is the best hooker in this league ... Never mind about anyone else . And that's totally unbiased and no mistake . Cumbrian teams are off the radar for journo's

Edited by DavidM, 26 July 2014 - 01:53 PM.

#19 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 252 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:13 PM

Mattinson is the best hooker in this league ... Never mind about anyone else . And that's totally unbiased and no mistake . Cumbrian teams are off the radar for journo's

Yes they are for journos, but opposing fans notice the better players and comment on them on forums - I have seen loads of comments about how well Brett Phillips has done this season, similarly Harrison at Barrow over the years. Haven't seen anything about Mattinson but maybe he's a quieter sort of player. Certainly when other teams talk about Fev Ellis is one of the players they single out.

#20 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:21 PM

Ellis. all the rest is propaganda.

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users