Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Oldham Sunday

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:22 PM

Massive game, sounds like we will be taking a good following with people doing the walk, the bus full, and a few (me) going over on the train! Oldham unbeaten at home so will be a massive test, but I have a feeling our season starts for real Sunday, win all our games we will finish top! C'mon you Huns!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#2 poolhawk

poolhawk
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:16 PM

It is a massive game this for us now, I would say a must win game.

Yeah defo a lot going, I know a few who are going who normally don't go to away games, I think we all know this is a big game for us.

#3 Progman

Progman
  • Coach
  • 362 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:23 PM

Had to make a late substitution for walk are Davids done it instead off me. The walkers got off ok and I'm informed its going well

#4 oldham13

oldham13
  • Coach
  • 691 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:45 PM

Congratulations to the people who undertook the sponsored walk to todays match, Well Done, hope you raised plenty on money.

Cracking game of rugby league between two well supported teams, it is nice to have vocal and passionate visiting fans at the game.

We Are Oldham Roughyeds

#5 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 892 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:52 AM

Didn't do enough to win I'm afraid. The complaints from the players that the match-winning try was short, or in touch, or both, were probably justified (and I was pretty close to where it occurred) but despite dominating for 25-30 minutes of the second half, going into the last few minutes with just a three-point lead always leaves you wide open to a dodgy refereeing decision (and there had been plenty - both ways - in the previous 79 minutes!).

Even though we did get on top over the third quarter thanks to a mountain of possession, Oldham always looked the better team when they did get the ball and it was their first half performance, when they built up a ten point lead, that ultimately sowed the seeds of victory.

Meanwhile Hunslet supporters are quite rightly entitled to be questioning team selection and tactics (again). Back to the bad old days at one point, with Grimmer at full-back, Watson at scrum half and I'm sure Oakes was at stand-off at one scrum!!

Just about knocks on the head any chance of finishing top now; if are to win promotion we are going to have to do it from second, maybe even third place.

On this performance, that looks very unlikely.

#6 pudsey hawk

pudsey hawk
  • Coach
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:46 AM

Didn't do enough to win I'm afraid. The complaints from the players that the match-winning try was short, or in touch, or both, were probably justified (and I was pretty close to where it occurred) but despite dominating for 25-30 minutes of the second half, going into the last few minutes with just a three-point lead always leaves you wide open to a dodgy refereeing decision (and there had been plenty - both ways - in the previous 79 minutes!).

Even though we did get on top over the third quarter thanks to a mountain of possession, Oldham always looked the better team when they did get the ball and it was their first half performance, when they built up a ten point lead, that ultimately sowed the seeds of victory.

Meanwhile Hunslet supporters are quite rightly entitled to be questioning team selection and tactics (again). Back to the bad old days at one point, with Grimmer at full-back, Watson at scrum half and I'm sure Oakes was at stand-off at one scrum!!

Just about knocks on the head any chance of finishing top now; if are to win promotion we are going to have to do it from second, maybe even third place.

On this performance, that looks very unlikely.

Agree 100% with everything you said.I think this division is our level.need fresh ideas

#7 Hunslet Miner

Hunslet Miner
  • Players
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

Agree that it looks pretty difficult to win this league, and by conceding that try in the last few minutes @ Oldham has made it even harder, but it is still in our hands. Our points difference over Oldham is huge [+174] and we have to keep York away from a bonus point when we meet them at home in two weeks time. No small ask. However, we are a good team and on our day we can beat any other team in the league. Even Castleford's second team otherwise known as York. We have some quality players. David Marsh's leadership on the field is immense. Danny Grimshaw, Danny Maun and John Oakes have also been outstanding. In my view, when Liam Hood is fit and on top of his game, is the best play maker out of dummy half in this league by a mile. Check out the recent Hunslet match videos. Long fast passes, devastating runs, unselfish off loads to put others in to score. We need Stuart Kain back at full back and Jimmy Watson back at centre. I still believe that we can made the play off final @ Headingley in October

#8 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:14 PM

Granted I was behind the sticks with a terrible view all game but I never saw Grimmer at fullback? For me there were numerous factors why we got beat but after thinking on it today none of them for me were down to the coach. We got caught cold in the opening 20 mins and were she'll shocked we just couldn't get up to the intensity of Oldham, it was clear to see which team had another cup final last week and which one had a week off. Saying that we still kept in the game at half time and it wasn't for a bombed chance by Grimmer and a dubious call from the ref to allow an Oldham try under the sticks we could have potential gone in at half time infront. We came out fired up second half and took control we were finally up to the speed of he game and dominated from the off, scoring quality tries and looking like the only team that would win, next thing a fight breaks out and we get penalised for Haley retaliating to a punch aimed at him, they go up and score. We then look to settle things down and produce the play of the game bundling the winger in to touch within oldhams 20 meter line only to be penalised again, they get another penalty of the back of that and the rest is history as they say. A really disappointing defeat to take, and on another day we could have run away with it. Still not sure how the referee got to 12 MINUTES ADDED ON TIME?? But that's life, we played our best team, thought hard and came within a whisker of beign the only team to win at Whitebank this season. It didn't happen, so we move on, shame we had Hoody missing as I think we would have won comfortably.

Also ironic that dual reg players at both York and Oldham have undone us on every occasion this season yet we still don't want to embrace it simply because it's Leeds, well we all wanted 17 Hunslet players and we're getting them, so now is the time to get behind them and the coach and support us in the playoffs the time when it really matters!

As for Oldham, great club with great heritage and a die hard support that's as loyal as ours, but that ground just isn't good enough for professional sport.

Jimmy Watson was my MOM again yesterday

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#9 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:19 PM

What a ridiculous way to lose a game, with under 10 mins to go and 7 points in front the game was ours, Oldham were totally gone and were struggling to get out of their own half.The only way they were gonna get downfield was to get piggy backed downfield by penalties - and boy did we give them plenty in that last few mins.You could have wrote it in stone at 23 -20 what would happen - and it did.Fair play to Oldham they were miles better than us in the 1st half and 16-6 was probably lucky for us but somehow we dragged ourselves into a lead but that last few mins when all we had to do was not give any pens away was just madness.

Posted Image

#10 pudsey hawk

pudsey hawk
  • Coach
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:37 PM

I don't have a problem with been in league 1 next season because I don't want to go back to knowing we won't win and going to places that are local. To win this league in future will be harder and only a decent team will do that.as I have said before this season was always gonna be US York or Oldham top 3 and we have lost 3 outta 4 of those games,so in my opinion we are not ready as a club to step up

#11 Gazmeister

Gazmeister
  • Coach
  • 242 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:50 PM

Was really gutted about yesterday. With seven minutes to go I had bitten my nails down to the cuticle. But it seemed inevitable what was going to happen.

Some players stood up yesterday. Thought Oakes did well again, Houston and Duffy looks a good replacement for Maples, but stand out by far was Watson - one try, two assists, two try saving tackles and five tries in three games at FB says it all to me.

Some strange choice of selected players though. Without any disrespect you cannot play Clough ahead of Broughton so don't know what happened there. I also think if Hoody was playing it would have been a different game.

I won't slate any players but there were a few missed tackles hence Oldham breaking the line at least three times.

Too late in the season to change the half backs but I would look forward to seeing how Grimmer and Marcus Elliott would go together?

Really hope we can recover and if we cannot win the league let's turn up and take whoever comes to us to the cleaners.

#12 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:51 PM

Even Castleford's second team otherwise known as York.

Three players from Castleford have played for York's first team in 2014. One was a prop that covered injuries in the pack for 2 games, one is a young half back effectively on a season-long loan deal, and Jake Webster who played in the win at your place (which I didn't agree with).

Hardly Castleford's second team though.

Posted Image

#13 Gazmeister

Gazmeister
  • Coach
  • 242 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:56 PM

Three players from Castleford have played for York's first team in 2014. One was a prop that covered injuries in the pack for 2 games, one is a young half back effectively on a season-long loan deal, and Jake Webster who played in the win at your place (which I didn't agree with).

Hardly Castleford's second team though.

Not to mention the other loanees from - is it Warrington and Batley?

#14 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:03 PM

Not to mention the other loanees from - is it Warrington and Batley?

Aye, whats wrong with loanees?

Posted Image

#15 Gazmeister

Gazmeister
  • Coach
  • 242 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:10 PM

We need some

#16 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:34 PM

I actually thought Clough sparked the pack when he came on, apart from one dropped ball he did give us options and does try to offload ( and im probably his biggest critic ).Oh for a #### half like Jamie Rooney who would have game managed that last 9 mins...

Posted Image

#17 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:36 PM

how can s c r u m half be scrubbed out ?

Posted Image

#18 poolhawk

poolhawk
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:53 PM

I think after yesterday going to be hard for us now to get 2nd, but you never know, & the main thing now is get back to wining ways a finish the season on a good run to take in to the play offs.

I still think we will reach the final a it will be between us a York, a in know our record is poor agin at York this season, but Sod's law says your going to win one of them games, how much play off final.

I remember Hartlepool playing sheff wes in play off final, before that game pools had played sheff wes 3 times that season a won all 3, so it was Sod's law what would happen on the final, & yes it did, we lost in they most important game, who says Sod's law won't work for us.

#19 pudsey hawk

pudsey hawk
  • Coach
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:53 PM

how can s c r u m half be scrubbed out ?

Lol. Rooney gone back fev hasn't he ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users