Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

27/07/14 - The Kingstone Press Championship Match Thread

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,629 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:46 AM

Discuss all this weekend's Kingstone Press Championship games here.

SUNDAY 27th JULY

Sheffield Eagles v Batley Bulldogs KO 2pm
North Wales Crusaders v Workington Town KO 2.30pm
Dewsbury Rams v Barrow Raiders KO 3pm
Keighley Cougars v Doncaster KO 3pm
Rochdale Hornets v Leigh Centurions KO 3pm
Swinton Lions v Halifax KO 3pm
Whitehaven v Featherstone Rovers KO 3pm

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:54 AM

Crusaders' return to the Racecourse looks interesting - they've got bonus points against Donny and Dewsbury in their last two home games, so there could be a win coming here. The big question, however, is will the weather be good enough for me to wear my straw hat again :beach:

#3 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:54 PM

If Swinton can put a full eighty minutes together Halifax could be in for a surprise

#4 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:54 PM

Leigh have been firing blanks for 6 weeks or so, think we need to just get to the finishing line so I expect a tough game with less than 10 in it at Rochdale

#5 Bartholemew Smythe

Bartholemew Smythe
  • Coach
  • 662 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:32 PM

Don't know about firing blanks, nothing wrong with the defence v Keighley last Saturday.
We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

#6 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,469 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:42 AM

There are a lot of nervous followers of the "middle six" at the moment with relegation beckoning for at least one of them. Who will that be though?

:hunter:         :cry:

Edited by Blind side johnny, 27 July 2014 - 12:22 PM.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#7 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:14 PM

Keighley have been dropping down the table alarmingly in the last dew weeks and are now in a relegation spot. A bonus point against the Dons is the minimum they must achieve. Doncaster have had a few squeaky wins recently. Hopefully the Cougars can pull an upset it's a vital game for them.

#8 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:16 PM

Town have beaten Cru 12-8 thanks to a last minute try, another vital 3 points in the bag. That's 6 wins on the trot for Town going into a massive West Cumbrian derby next week.

Edited by Derwent, 27 July 2014 - 03:48 PM.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#9 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:33 PM

A great win for Cougars. It lifts them out of the relegation zone, for now.

Town have beaten Cru 12-8 thanks to a last minute try, another vital 3 points in the bag. That's 6 wins on the trot for Town going into a massive West Cumbrian derby next week.

Town would be in the relegation zone if they didn't have 9, count em, nine bonus points. That's the system we are playing under so I,ve no complaints but it could ultimately save them from the drop.

#10 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:43 PM

A great win for Cougars. It lifts them out of the relegation zone, for now.
Town would be in the relegation zone if they didn't have 9, count em, nine bonus points. That's the system we are playing under so I,ve no complaints but it could ultimately save them from the drop.

Win was mainly due to a combination of lack of concentration liberally seasoned with stupidity when the Cru had the game won. Looking at the fixtures, I'm not sure if they can win another game (if poss, could they manage Keighley on the 17th., as yours truly will be there thanks to a family gathering up the road in Bingley - what's the parking like round Cougar Park?). The one saving grace is that the problems are on-field and can be sorted out in the close season as the club seems to be basically well run and appreciates the need for sound development work, which bodes well for its long term future. Oh, and I did wear my straw hat for some of the time, at least.

#11 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:10 PM

A great win for Cougars. It lifts them out of the relegation zone, for now.Town would be in the relegation zone if they didn't have 9, count em, nine bonus points. That's the system we are playing under so I,ve no complaints but it could ultimately save them from the drop.

If all BP's were removed we'd still only be 1 point from a safe position, it's not like we'd be cut adrift without them. We have lost the same number of games as both Keighley and Whitehaven.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#12 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,980 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:14 PM

Win was mainly due to a combination of lack of concentration liberally seasoned with stupidity when the Cru had the game won. Looking at the fixtures, I'm not sure if they can win another game (if poss, could they manage Keighley on the 17th., as yours truly will be there thanks to a family gathering up the road in Bingley - what's the parking like round Cougar Park?). The one saving grace is that the problems are on-field and can be sorted out in the close season as the club seems to be basically well run and appreciates the need for sound development work, which bodes well for its long term future. Oh, and I did wear my straw hat for some of the time, at least.

Lots of parking on road outside ground. There is a car park just past the ground on the oppersit side. I think it cost a couple of quid.

#13 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,980 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:15 PM

Massive win for Keighley today. Lets hope we can keep it going.

#14 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:31 PM

Massive win for Keighley today. Lets hope we can keep it going.

I hope Keighley stay up - the derbies v Bratfurt next year will be crackers! A packed Lawkholme Lane would look great on TV

#15 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,980 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:32 PM

Wouldnt it just. Its going to be a battle to stay up. Can see it going down to the wire.
Wouldnt get this without pr would we.

#16 Leyther_Matt

Leyther_Matt
  • Coach
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:20 PM

With Leigh 12-0 down within 15 minutes and looking all at sea, there must have been some cracking odds on us scoring 72 points by the end! Some great rugby played, looking forward to seeing the highlights. Great atmosphere, always like going to Spotland (the second time in a week as it happens!)

#17 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:57 PM

With Leigh 12-0 down within 15 minutes and looking all at sea, there must have been some cracking odds on us scoring 72 points by the end! Some great rugby played, looking forward to seeing the highlights. Great atmosphere, always like going to Spotland (the second time in a week as it happens!)

Very lucky not to be 12-0 down plus a man sent off really. Game completely turned on its head after the big melee. Not sure what a player has to do to earn a red but I'd have thought launching into a prone man, flat on his back with your fists might have done the job.

From that point on, it was pretty much all Leigh though. Hornets couldn't match the power and the pace and quick hands of the much bigger and more professional Leigh outfit and they ran out worthy winners. If Sarsfield did see red rather than being sin binned with Greenwood, it wouldn't have surprised me if Leigh still went on to win such was the dominance although it would have been more of a contest.

Credit to Rochdale as they kept plugging away and did manage to score some late points but must say Leigh were very impressive and looked in a different class. At no point did it look like Hornets could hold out their attack and they scored pretty much at will as the scoreline suggests.

Special mention to Martin Ridyard who kicked everything in sight for 12 from 12 conversions.

#18 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:59 PM

If all BP's were removed we'd still only be 1 point from a safe position, it's not like we'd be cut adrift without them. We have lost the same number of games as both Keighley and Whitehaven.

It's definitely tight. Five being relegated is going to lose some teams to CC1 who really deserve to keep a place. Barrow are the only real no hopers if this was just two down.

#19 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:02 PM

And it drew more spectators then one SL game.

#20 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,307 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:30 PM

Whitehaven look in trouble now, but with other teams being so inconsistent there's a possibility of even Sheffield still going down.

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users