Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

27/07/14 - The Kingstone Press Championship Match Thread

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Leyther_Matt

Leyther_Matt
  • Coach
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:43 PM

Very lucky not to be 12-0 down plus a man sent off really. Game completely turned on its head after the big melee. Not sure what a player has to do to earn a red but I'd have thought launching into a prone man, flat on his back with your fists might have done the job.

From that point on, it was pretty much all Leigh though. Hornets couldn't match the power and the pace and quick hands of the much bigger and more professional Leigh outfit and they ran out worthy winners. If Sarsfield did see red rather than being sin binned with Greenwood, it wouldn't have surprised me if Leigh still went on to win such was the dominance although it would have been more of a contest.

Credit to Rochdale as they kept plugging away and did manage to score some late points but must say Leigh were very impressive and looked in a different class. At no point did it look like Hornets could hold out their attack and they scored pretty much at will as the scoreline suggests.

Special mention to Martin Ridyard who kicked everything in sight for 12 from 12 conversions.

Don't disagree in the slightest, thought at the time that Sarsfield was very lucky not to see red and will inevitably cop a ban for a game or two.

#22 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,378 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:54 PM

Win was mainly due to a combination of lack of concentration liberally seasoned with stupidity when the Cru had the game won. Looking at the fixtures, I'm not sure if they can win another game (if poss, could they manage Keighley on the 17th., as yours truly will be there thanks to a family gathering up the road in Bingley - what's the parking like round Cougar Park?). The one saving grace is that the problems are on-field and can be sorted out in the close season as the club seems to be basically well run and appreciates the need for sound development work, which bodes well for its long term future. Oh, and I did wear my straw hat for some of the time, at least.

From the Keighley website 27th July. New car parking will be available at the Office Interiors car park on Royd ings Avenue, that's at the rear of the ground, not the A 650 side.

#23 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,378 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:57 PM

Whitehaven look in trouble now, but with other teams being so inconsistent there's a possibility of even Sheffield still going down.

derbies often produce upsets, so watch out for the wounded Haven beast biting back..

#24 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,846 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:43 PM

A great win for Cougars. It lifts them out of the relegation zone, for now.
Town would be in the relegation zone if they didn't have 9, count em, nine bonus points. That's the system we are playing under so I,ve no complaints but it could ultimately save them from the drop.

What a lot of rubbish!!!!    You might as well say if Leigh hadn't won 19 of their 20 games they might not be top.   We keep hearing your sort of argument from our neighbours who always claimed that because they win games they can't pick up BP's because you only get them for losing by 12 or less.    Well both Keighley and Haven have a record of 10 wins and 11 losses against Town's 9 wins, 1 draw and 11 losses, so all 3 teams have had the same equal chance to EARN bonus points.    Which team took a shot at goal in the last few seconds today to earn a BP?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#25 Progman

Progman
  • Coach
  • 362 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:49 PM

Is there any Keighley fans would like their old coach back because I would like ours back please

#26 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:43 AM

Very lucky not to be 12-0 down plus a man sent off really. Game completely turned on its head after the big melee. Not sure what a player has to do to earn a red but I'd have thought launching into a prone man, flat on his back with your fists might have done the job.

From that point on, it was pretty much all Leigh though. Hornets couldn't match the power and the pace and quick hands of the much bigger and more professional Leigh outfit and they ran out worthy winners. If Sarsfield did see red rather than being sin binned with Greenwood, it wouldn't have surprised me if Leigh still went on to win such was the dominance although it would have been more of a contest.

Credit to Rochdale as they kept plugging away and did manage to score some late points but must say Leigh were very impressive and looked in a different class. At no point did it look like Hornets could hold out their attack and they scored pretty much at will as the scoreline suggests.

Special mention to Martin Ridyard who kicked everything in sight for 12 from 12 conversions.

FanBlog report now up at http://theseladscanr...blogspot.co.uk/

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#27 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:54 AM

It's definitely tight. Five being relegated is going to lose some teams to CC1 who really deserve to keep a place. Barrow are the only real no hopers if this was just two down.

And don't forget, the team finishing 5th in CC1 could get promoted via the playoffs! How that side could add more value to the Championship than the team finishing 5th bottom is beyond logic. Whilst I'd love us to pull of a miracle and stay up, relegation holds no fears for us. We know what to expect in that division and we'll return better-off in every sense for having had a season at a higher level. Pretty much everyone said we wouldn't win a game, but in any other year we'd be looking to stay up.

For one, maybe two teams who've pinned their hopes/budgets on staying up, relegation will be much harder to take. I'm glad I'm not a Sheffield/Keighley/Whitehaven supporter, those guys must be cacking it. 

We were talking yesterday about finishing outside the bottom two so we could say that we were only relegated by the restructure  ;)

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#28 Battler

Battler
  • Players
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:07 AM

Great win for the Bulldogs yesterday at Sheffield.Gonna be a close run in but a favour from Worky next week and a bonus point for us against Leigh would do me fine.Then i think our game up at Whitehaven in a fortnight is gonna be a reet 6 pointer.

#29 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,378 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:03 AM

What a lot of rubbish!!!!    You might as well say if Leigh hadn't won 19 of their 20 games they might not be top.   We keep hearing your sort of argument from our neighbours who always claimed that because they win games they can't pick up BP's because you only get them for losing by 12 or less.    Well both Keighley and Haven have a record of 10 wins and 11 losses against Town's 9 wins, 1 draw and 11 losses, so all 3 teams have had the same equal chance to EARN bonus points.    Which team took a shot at goal in the last few seconds today to earn a BP?

I agree with you and I said from the start that bonus points are the system we are operating under and I have no beef with that.They do skew league places though and, good for Town, they are benefitting from the system. Without it they would be in a relegation spot. Simple.

#30 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:23 PM

The tackle happened right in front of us and sarsfield retaliated after looking at the linesman to signal the foul, I expect both to get bans
Riddy was on fire after recovering from his injury thriving in the space given to him by your preoccupation with Brierley

#31 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:11 PM

From the Keighley website 27th July. New car parking will be available at the Office Interiors car park on Royd ings Avenue, that's at the rear of the ground, not the A 650 side.

Many thanks and to guess who. One thing you don't see that often happened at the Racecourse yesterday - the ref (Mr. A.Sweet) having to be substituted through injury!

#32 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:14 PM

The tackle happened right in front of us and sarsfield retaliated after looking at the linesman to signal the foul, I expect both to get bans

We must have sat in pretty much the same spot by the sounds of it.

I didn't see anything to retaliate for and presumed that Suffolk had said something or there was a bit of history between the two players. As you say, there was a bit of a delay at the initial incident, Sarsfield seemed to look around and then think 'sod this' and lumped him. Any idea what caused this as it looked something and nothing till it kicked off?

Riddy was on fire after recovering from his injury thriving in the space given to him by your preoccupation with Brierley

Not my preoccupation  ;)  I get to both Rochdale & Leigh as my 2nd teams.  Pies and beer are that little bit better at Spotland and I like an underdog so maybe I was leaning towards Hornets yesterday though

Many thanks and to guess who. One thing you don't see that often happened at the Racecourse yesterday - the ref (Mr. A.Sweet) having to be substituted through injury!

Was Hock back early from his ban and on DR yesterday?

#33 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:00 PM

Well you don't give up. Leigh start a brawl and it's the linesman fault now! I thought it was lesser teams provoking Leigh.

#34 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,846 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:10 PM

I agree with you and I said from the start that bonus points are the system we are operating under and I have no beef with that.They do skew league places though and, good for Town, they are benefitting from the system. Without it they would be in a relegation spot. Simple.

All if's and but's that mean absolutely nothing.    Just as 31% of the RL Express readers who voted on this subject all stated Town would be the 5th team to be relegated!!!!!   Oh dear, I hope they all don't have a bet on that.  ;)  ;)

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users