Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

25/07/14 - Salford Red Devils v Leeds Rhinos KO 8pm (TV)

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (8 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Salford Red Devils (5 votes [62.50%])

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

2. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Leeds Rhinos (3 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#141 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:50 PM

Don't think Leeds have been the same since they got mugged by Wigan in the Magic weekend
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#142 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 943 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

I thought McGuire was mom to be honest - his kicking game was good and he created a few tries.

That singleton kid also impressed - I don't know his age but its nice to see a decent young prop coming through

I thought he played well... but not sure about the overall kicking game. His little grubber kicks where excellent but I thought one of the reasons Leeds started to lose control in 2nd half was the poor tactical kicking.... all be it from Burrows as well..... McGuire was certainly always under pressure when need to kick to corners or long but one wonders why under so much pressure (positioning) or not able to execute quick enough.... not sure it was down to McGuire but certainly Leeds were not good at the tactical kicking to help control the game and prevent Salford getting the sniff that almost did for Leeds.....

#143 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:21 PM

I hear Phil Clarke was his usual insular self last night Hemmings was making excuses for him apparently .

Edited by fieldofclothofgold, 26 July 2014 - 01:22 PM.

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#144 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,426 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:25 PM

I hear Phil Clarke was his usual insular self last night Hemmings was making excuses for him apparently .

Eddie assured the viewers that the commentators were 100% neutral.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#145 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,198 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:33 PM

Managed to turn his mic off before bursting out laughing which was great credit to him.

#146 johnh1

johnh1
  • Players
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:46 PM

If that's the case, then why does he have a vendetta against Salford?

#147 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,426 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:54 PM

It would appear that Wiggy has a vendetta against every club in SL,if you listen to various supporters.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#148 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 216 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:11 PM

I didn't get why Brian Noble got bashed so much by other fans.

But looking how this season has gone, his obsession with experienced overseas was his down fall and could have damaged the development of talented British/European talent and it also cost him his job as the younger players would of got more results IMO as recent form has proved.

The reasons why Noble picked Mullaney over Evalds, Meli over Griffin, Smith over Fages, Rapira over Walton or Walne seem to me absolutely baffling.

I hope the influx of talent continues to develop in a strengthening Salford side.

He picked Meli over Griffin because Josh Griffin only joined the club a few weeks ago, and he would have needed to be able to travel through time in order to make that particular choice. Jason Walton was in the team from day one, and only lost his place when he picked up an ankle injury a couple of months in. Steve Rapira came over having played just fifteen matches in three years (might have been thirteen matches) because of injury, and really wasn't fit at the start of the season. Only now are we starting to see what he can offer. I'm becoming more and more impressed with him, to be honest. Very aggressive.

Great game. Thoroughly enjoyed it. We had two props missing (Lama Tasi and the other, equally excellent, Walne brother, Adam) through illness and injury respectively, which left us with only two out and out props. That's clearly a weakness in the squad, and, hopefully, it'll be addressed before next season. Hooker is a problem too. I've not been sure about Tommy Lee at dummy half, but he's done a good job there this past few weeks and we missed him last night.

#149 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:59 PM

Redjohn, a quality 9 is a must for Salford over the close season. A couple of props as well and they'll be a force next year.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#150 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:38 AM

Most Salford fans have a hooker as their priority.

It seems we are moving some of this year's players on to free money under the cap. Hope there are more players to come.

#151 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 377 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:29 AM

Most Salford fans have a hooker as their priority.

It seems we are moving some of this year's players on to free money under the cap. Hope there are more players to come.

Are there any quality 9s available right now though? Other than Clark who we're told is a done deal to Warrington, not sure who's out there and off contract. Koroisau from the Rabbitohs would have been nice and provided some zip from dummy half but think he's signed for Penrith.

Might be better to stick with Lee & Tomkins who are going OK and concentrate on a couple of additional props.

#152 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:18 AM

Tomkins is going back to the Pies isn't he?

The pack is the area we need to develop and recruit.

All building nicely.