Photo
- - - - -

25/07/14 - St Helens v Widnes Vikings KO 8pm

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (7 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. St Helens (4 votes [57.14%])

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

2. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Widnes Vikings (3 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,746 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:48 AM

Discuss St Helens v Widnes Vikings here.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:51 AM

we can win this to make it 3 on the run against stains 

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#3 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:46 AM

Saints by 18+.

#4 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:59 AM

We've struggled against Widnes a bit over the last few years, and if they continue where they left off against Warrington last week then we'll have our work cut out. Our win win loss pattern also suggests that we'll come up short in this one.

Walsh's return will no doubt help. Could go either way but I'm reasonably optimistic that we can get the points. It won't but much of a surprise either way though.

#5 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,715 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:22 PM

We've struggled against Widnes a bit over the last few years, and if they continue where they left off against Warrington last week then we'll have our work cut out. Our win win loss pattern also suggests that we'll come up short in this one.

Walsh's return will no doubt help. Could go either way but I'm reasonably optimistic that we can get the points. It won't but much of a surprise either way though.

Although we get Walsh back, we've lost Hohaia and Hohaia is a calm head on that pitch.  Not so sure about Walsh.  Also, Walsh has been out for weeks, proving to be pretty unreliable really which is a shame, and then if Wheeler plays the last time he was at six was when? Months ago?  So I think we could fall down on our halves this time out.  Our forwards though have no excuse!

#6 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,333 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:32 PM

Either Saints by miles or Widnes if it's close. If Widnes are training to peak in a couple of weeks, then they could be very dangerous opposition tonight...

#7 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,726 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:50 PM

doh...

#8 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,256 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:08 PM

:)

#9 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:37 PM

Walsh stretchered off with a serious ankle injury. Initial reaction suggests that he won't be playing again this season.

Massive loss.

#10 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:03 PM

44-22 FT score. That's an excellent win, and it's pleasing to see Makinson get a hat-trick and Masoe get a double.

Unfortunately it's all come at far too high a price. We knew we were lacking depth in the creativity department, and now with Walsh (presumably) joining Lomax in being out for the season, and Hohaia being out for two months, things are looking bleak as we head into the business end. Injuries obviously happen to all teams and you just get on with things as best you can, as we will, but I can't see any of our potential remaining halves combinations being too successful in unlocking tight defences come playoff time.

Credit to Widnes too for not rolling over and managing to put a respectable number of points on the board after being 32-0 down.

Edited by MrFussy, 25 July 2014 - 09:04 PM.

#11 snapski

snapski
  • Coach
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:08 PM

Saintslass along soon to say the world will end

#12 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,555 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:10 PM

Radio 5 reporting a compound leg fracture for Walsh.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#13 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:12 PM

Is a compund fracture when the bone comes out the skin? Like Chev Walker suffered? Or is that an open fracture?

Either way it's grim news. Hopefully he'll make a full recovery and will be able to carry on with his career with no long term issues.

Best of luck to him, it's been a pleasure watching him play this year.

Edited by MrFussy, 25 July 2014 - 09:43 PM.

#14 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,715 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:06 PM

Saintslass along soon to say the world will end

World hasn't ended, but the season has.  No team can go without all their playmakers at this time of year and expect success, and we have now lost Walsh, Lomax, Hohaia and Wilkin for the season.

Is a compund fracture when the bone comes out the skin? Like Chev Walker suffered? Or is that an open fracture?

Yes, that's a compound fracture, like Chev Walker's.  Apparently Walsh's bone came out of his skin.  Not sure which one though as some are saying ankle, some saying shin.  Hard to tell I guess but his ankle was pointing in the wrong direction.  Apparently his wife was distraught when he was waiting for the ambulance, which I guess she would be as he was on oxygen and in a great deal of pain.  He was looking good too, it was so good to have him back on the pitch.  So sorry for him.  What a miserable time he has had since Easter.

Edited by Saintslass, 25 July 2014 - 10:07 PM.

#15 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:14 PM

World hasn't ended, but the season has.  No team can go without all their playmakers at this time of year and expect success, and we have now lost Walsh, Lomax, Hohaia and Wilkin for the season.

Yes, that's a compound fracture, like Chev Walker's.  Apparently Walsh's bone came out of his skin.  Not sure which one though as some are saying ankle, some saying shin.  Hard to tell I guess but his ankle was pointing in the wrong direction.  Apparently his wife was distraught when he was waiting for the ambulance, which I guess she would be as he was on oxygen and in a great deal of pain.  He was looking good too, it was so good to have him back on the pitch.  So sorry for him.  What a miserable time he has had since Easter.

Sounds absolutely horrible :( Hopefully they can make him comfortable asap, although I'm sure the mental pain of it won't pass in a hurry. As you say his luck has been out for months now, and to culminate in this is a devastating blow.

What happened to Wilkin? He's gone for the year too? If that's true then I assume that Wheeler and Wellens will be our first choice pairing.

Edited by MrFussy, 25 July 2014 - 10:20 PM.

#16 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,715 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:24 PM

Sounds absolutely horrible :( Hopefully they can make him comfortable asap, although I'm sure the mental pain of it won't pass in a hurry. As you say his luck has been out for months now, and to culminate in this is a devastating blow.

What happened to Wilkin? He's gone for the year too? If that's true then I assume that Wheeler and Wellens will be our first choice pairing.

I was told tonight that his shoulder is knackered and he's likely to be gone for the season.  It was the shoulder that was allegedly dislocated a little while ago.  In other words, we rushed him back and now possibly he and the team are going to suffer.

There is no way we can make anything of this season without Walsh, Hohaia, Wilkin and Lomax.  It just isn't going to happen.  I hope they throw Charnock in and see what he can do.  I'd rather end the season with the encouragement of watching a young half have a go than just fizzle out with Wheeler (who was almost totally absent tonight) and Wello (who was a liability) in the halves.

Oh, we lost Flanagan as well.

Edited by Saintslass, 25 July 2014 - 10:25 PM.

#17 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,726 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:36 PM

Sorry to hear about walsh's injury, sounds grim, hope he has a speedy recovery

#18 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:34 PM

:)

who are hammering barrow this week 

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#19 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:36 PM

well that was a real anti-climax after last week, still it could be worse we could be barrow 

#20 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,715 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:51 PM

well that was a real anti-climax after last week, still it could be worse we could be barrow 

Have you heard whether Brown is ok?  I hope he isn't out for long.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users