TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Rams release Grayston

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#101 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:18 PM

Again, why are you dismissing people's opinions in this way? What's Wakefield Ram's affiliation to the club?

I am not dismissing people's opinion, but the three mentioned seem unable to brook any criticism of the club.
It's as though we are not allowed to question the club's decisions.

Never suggested for a minute that you or any of the other posters are anything other than loyal supporters, but if you take your bats and balls home regarding squadbuilder, then you can hardly be regarded as committed. can you. Again, tom and GFDU are in a tricky position when it comes to giving their opinions and it is to their credit that they have the bottle to stick their heads above the parapet and take the flak on behalf of the club. Maybe some of you should consider the position you are putting these lads in - if they now said "stuff the forum" you could hardly blame them.

If we choose to withdraw funding of the Squadbuilder, that's hardly lack of commitment to the club; consider those who do not contribute - does that show their lack of commitment?
Why should Tom and GFDU be in a tricky position for giving their opinions? I understand that they are no more employed by the club than I. Here it seems you want to allow them to offer an opinion, but not for some others.

If not happy with a decision I will question it. With regard to this thread it is more the bland statement, rather than the decision, that troubles me.
Legs, Dews, Legs.

#102 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:23 PM

The Championship is a very competitive league. If GM decides he has better players than Grayston, then that is his decision. We are 5th in the league, so it would appear his judgement is not completely flawed.

We have had this same scenario before and will again. That's the nature of professional sport but some seem to regard this as a sinister plot.

Grayston showed promise, he wasn't a world beater, but he was GMs signing. He has gone, can we get on with the rest of the season now?

#103 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:50 PM

Again, why are you dismissing people's opinions in this way? What's Wakefield Ram's affiliation to the club?

Just to be clear, I have no affiliation to the club other than supporting the team for 40 years. There's no party line to toe. Players come, players go, I'm not quite sure why Grayston's departure is such a big deal.

#104 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,750 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:51 AM

I'd just like to make what I hope is my final comment on this matter.

The cause of the upset for me at least is not simply the fact that Grayston has gone but in the very mature of how this affair has been managed by the club. When he first joined the club this was announced with a minor fanfare as another youngster with great potential, recruited in the face of competition, Australian experience etc of whom much was expected, giving fans a frisson of anticipation. After a couple of weeks spent in achieving the required level of fitness he was given his debut, which wasn't especially auspicious but contained glimpses of promise. When he finally got a short run of games he started to look like the player that we had been led to expect mom performances etc. In particular he had clearly become a favourite with many of the fans, the kind of player that created a small feeling of excited anticipation. Then, following the fev game at which no-one excelled he was dropped. Fair enough - coaches prerogative and the rest and we all assumed that he would get another chance shortly.

Then, after a couple of decidedly mixed team performances question began to be asked on here (and much more widely on the terraces) as to why he was not getting another run out given his earlier performances. The official response was - silence, zilch, nothing. More questions were asked and yet more more silence resulted leading to no little frustration and a growing feeling amongst fans that the club appeared to be clamming up once more. Then, from out of the blue comes this announcement that he is leaving "in the best interests of the club and the player". This is anodyne corporate speak at its worst and served to create a clear impression of a communication gulf between club and supporters borne of disinterest by the club in the fans' concerns. Then this forum storm ensued. Rightly or wrongly many fans felt that they simply were regarded as unimportant in the scheme of things and, if that were so, they might well need to reconsider their own relationship with the club.

I am sure that the reality of the situation is much more complicated but how would we know? The sensitivity with which the customer (fan) relationship was handled was limited to say the least. In business, which is what this is, perception is everything and wounds take time to heal. Messengers often get caught in the crossfire, which is regrettable but normal.

I genuinely hope that Sunday's attendance wasn't an indication of such disenchantment but I am afraid that it didn't bode well.

Edited by Blind side johnny, 28 July 2014 - 07:58 AM.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#105 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:49 AM

my final word on this , sometimes there are a variety of reasons that changes happen with playing staff  at all clubs   from time to time that  cannot in fairness be made public knowledge , now i have no inside knowledge of any other reason for jordan being released other than the ones made public and i believe the coach when he says that the decision is in the best interests of both the club and the player . it is obvious that glenn does not think this particular player can take the club forward considering his general options but would it be fair for a coach to say " we have released so and so because i dont think he is good enough or hes gone because his defence is ###### or his positional play is terrible. i dont think so .

On a much wider note and no way connected to the recent situation i have known players in the past be released for reasons such as thieving from club or teammates and the use of narcotics as well as illness . in those cases it is nigh on impossible in fairness to make the reasons public knowledge so what can a club do but put a diplomatic lean on it in those cases ?.

like i said previously i know of no other reason for the released players departure this season other than those stated by the club in public , coaches perogative rightly or wrongly but ultimatly his responsibility .

Edited by guest from down under, 28 July 2014 - 08:50 AM.

#106 RALFERS08

RALFERS08
  • Players
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:19 AM

How difficult is this whole situation to understand? Well not difficult at all it happens day in day out at every single team on the planet no matter what the sport.
Club signs player they think will improve the team, they announce signing to the fans and advertise the said player as a world beater (normal marketing technique in business)
Said player fails to work out for whatever reason, club release player with standard explanation of it was best for player and club so said player has no blemish on their cv.
Job done no need for any conspiracy theories or dummy's to be spat out the pram on forums. It's just life in team sports just move on and stop pretending like the club has sold the Crown Jewels, save all this shouting and hot air for the terraces on a Sunday cheering on your team.

#107 christheram

christheram
  • Non-Batley
  • 500 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:34 AM

Must say this thread is becoming alittle boring. I'm actually laughing at everyone! Only dewsbury fans would do this!

#108 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

The cause of the upset for me at least is not simply the fact that Grayston has gone but in the very mature of how this affair has been managed by the club. When he first joined the club this was announced with a minor fanfare as another youngster with great potential, recruited in the face of competition, Australian experience etc of whom much was expected, giving fans a frisson of anticipation. After a couple of weeks spent in achieving the required level of fitness he was given his debut, which wasn't especially auspicious but contained glimpses of promise. When he finally got a short run of games he started to look like the player that we had been led to expect mom performances etc. In particular he had clearly become a favourite with many of the fans, the kind of player that created a small feeling of excited anticipation. Then, following the fev game at which no-one excelled he was dropped. Fair enough - coaches prerogative and the rest and we all assumed that he would get another chance shortly.

Then, after a couple of decidedly mixed team performances question began to be asked on here (and much more widely on the terraces) as to why he was not getting another run out given his earlier performances. The official response was - silence, zilch, nothing. More questions were asked and yet more more silence resulted leading to no little frustration and a growing feeling amongst fans that the club appeared to be clamming up once more. Then, from out of the blue comes this announcement that he is leaving "in the best interests of the club and the player". This is anodyne corporate speak at its worst and served to create a clear impression of a communication gulf between club and supporters borne of disinterest by the club in the fans' concerns. Then this forum storm ensued. Rightly or wrongly many fans felt that they simply were regarded as unimportant in the scheme of things and, if that were so, they might well need to reconsider their own relationship with the club.

I am sure that the reality of the situation is much more complicated but how would we know? The sensitivity with which the customer (fan) relationship was handled was limited to say the least. In business, which is what this is, perception is everything and wounds take time to heal. Messengers often get caught in the crossfire, which is regrettable but normal.

I genuinely hope that Sunday's attendance wasn't an indication of such disenchantment but I am afraid that it didn't bode well.

Spot on BSJ...Whatever the rights and wrongs of this debate one thing we do know for sure after yesterday is that unfortunately disenchantment of some sort has set in.  How else can we explain our Doggie size gate when as the glass half full half of this forum  keep telling us we are 5th in the League??

My final comment on this subject before Chris the Ram dies from aching sides...

#109 ramsfandan

ramsfandan
  • Players
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:06 PM

stop moaning and get behind the team glen doesn,t think hes good enough... the end

#110 Heckler

Heckler
  • Coach
  • 421 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:29 PM

...and he would probably be our only Dewsbury born player.

Hemingway and Gallagher are both Dewsbury born.

#111 graham fisher

graham fisher
  • Coach
  • 576 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:02 PM

I don't think yesterday's appalling gate is to do with Jordan Grayston leaving. Certainly worrying though, surely our lowest league gate we've ever had in this league?

I agree with Chris on this,yes the crowd was worryingly low,to be honest I thought we'd have had at least 700 there! Barrow brought a few but not as many as in the past & it's the holiday season,I know of quite a few that were missing due to been away. I don't think it was a case of staying away because of certain players leaving,I hope not anyway!!

#112 JimbobRam

JimbobRam
  • Coach
  • 444 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:52 PM

Hemingway and tommy are batley lads.

#113 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:28 PM

Must say this thread is becoming alittle boring. I'm actually laughing at everyone! Only dewsbury fans would do this!

Oh no it's not - boring that is; nor is it funny either.
Legs, Dews, Legs.

#114 christheram

christheram
  • Non-Batley
  • 500 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:37 AM

Oh no it's not - boring that is; nor is it funny either.

it's just everytime I come on here seems everyone's moaning over something, saying that, it is a fans forum, where else best to moan? Atleest we all agree on 1 thing though, we all love the same team

#115 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:59 AM

Ok, my last post too!

To be fair, GFDU and Ralfers have summed up my thoughts.

Particularly GFDU's point about the disclosure of sensitive information. Hypothetically, in whose interests would it be to make a coach's personal opinions about a player public?

If there's been a serious breach of club discipline then that would probably be communicated by the club through me, but there hasn't, so it wasn't!

You're right. We don't know anything about the above....,mainly because you are the only connected with the club who keeps us up to speed with events and lets be honest, we don't get to know half of it. If Grayston fits the above criteria then it might be easier if we knew rather than pretending we are doing the lad a favour...

I don't know anything about the above either + see comments above.

I am not dismissing people's opinion, but the three mentioned seem unable to brook any criticism of the club.
It's as though we are not allowed to question the club's decisions.

If we choose to withdraw funding of the Squadbuilder, that's hardly lack of commitment to the club; consider those who do not contribute - does that show their lack of commitment?
Why should Tom and GFDU be in a tricky position for giving their opinions? I understand that they are no more employed by the club than I. Here it seems you want to allow them to offer an opinion, but not for some others.

If not happy with a decision I will question it. With regard to this thread it is more the bland statement, rather than the decision, that troubles me.

Some posters just seem more focused on why somebody thinks something instead of responding to what they think.

You are entitled to question the club's decisions and criticise them - and nobody would ever try to stop that. I've moved some posts to two new threads this morning to allow fans a clearer platform to debate the current hooker selection issue and Sunday's poor attendance. It's all good stuff!

Nobody's trying to stifle or censor debate but I am by default positive about the club because I am a supporter. And when you criticise the club on that club's forum don't be surprised if your views are challenged by people like me!

Debate's healthy and it's what will ultimately drive us forward.

I'm sorry if you though it was a bland statement, but there's not much to say about a player who's not played for a month and who made a total of nine appearances without scoring a try.

There was a bit of fanfare around Jordan signing because he was and still is a decent player. The club should make no apologies for adding a little bit of fanfare to these kinds of announcements - particularly when there are season tickets to be sold!

I don't understand what you were hoping for in regards to your "zilch, silence, nothing" point. Do Bradford Bulls provide coach's reasons for why Jamie Foster isn't getting picked at the moment? Or is it just assumed that he's out of favour?

There are first team squad members at every level of the professional game that regularly don't get selected. I think it's a little unrealistic to expect bespoke explanations for each and every omission.

As mentioned, if there's a serious club disciplinary breach then that'd be communicated and injuries are usually reported by the coach in the central RFL previews which I publish to the official site. I think collectively that provides a decent insight into selection.

I think it's worth menioning as well that thanks to the work of volunteers, the club communicates much more often than it used to through official platforms.

We have fantastic, unique match reports from Ossy, professional match photos from Steve and extended video highlights of every game from Ben. Not many clubs at any level have that and offer it to fans for free.

And four separate press releases went out on Friday so that fans were kept up to speed with who's coming in and who's going out.

Maybe my releases are a little bland, but I don't think we do too badly as a club in terms of communicating with fans.

Edited by Tom Coates, 29 July 2014 - 09:17 AM.

#116 reg gasnier

reg gasnier
  • Facebook
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:38 PM

Think you've covered everything tom only small point I'll address presume your nine games included pre season friendlys and I thought jordan was the seasons first try scorer at Keighley now I've done mate

#117 colinb

colinb
  • Coach
  • 949 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:12 PM

Ok, my last post too!

To be fair, GFDU and Ralfers have summed up my thoughts.

Particularly GFDU's point about the disclosure of sensitive information. Hypothetically, in whose interests would it be to make a coach's personal opinions about a player public?

If there's been a serious breach of club discipline then that would probably be communicated by the club through me, but there hasn't, so it wasn't!

I don't know anything about the above either + see comments above.

Some posters just seem more focused on why somebody thinks something instead of responding to what they think.

You are entitled to question the club's decisions and criticise them - and nobody would ever try to stop that. I've moved some posts to two new threads this morning to allow fans a clearer platform to debate the current hooker selection issue and Sunday's poor attendance. It's all good stuff!

Nobody's trying to stifle or censor debate but I am by default positive about the club because I am a supporter. And when you criticise the club on that club's forum don't be surprised if your views are challenged by people like me!

Debate's healthy and it's what will ultimately drive us forward.

I'm sorry if you though it was a bland statement, but there's not much to say about a player who's not played for a month and who made a total of nine appearances without scoring a try.

There was a bit of fanfare around Jordan signing because he was and still is a decent player. The club should make no apologies for adding a little bit of fanfare to these kinds of announcements - particularly when there are season tickets to be sold!

I don't understand what you were hoping for in regards to your "zilch, silence, nothing" point. Do Bradford Bulls provide coach's reasons for why Jamie Foster isn't getting picked at the moment? Or is it just assumed that he's out of favour?

There are first team squad members at every level of the professional game that regularly don't get selected. I think it's a little unrealistic to expect bespoke explanations for each and every omission.

As mentioned, if there's a serious club disciplinary breach then that'd be communicated and injuries are usually reported by the coach in the central RFL previews which I publish to the official site. I think collectively that provides a decent insight into selection.

I think it's worth menioning as well that thanks to the work of volunteers, the club communicates much more often than it used to through official platforms.

We have fantastic, unique match reports from Ossy, professional match photos from Steve and extended video highlights of every game from Ben. Not many clubs at any level have that and offer it to fans for free.

And four separate press releases went out on Friday so that fans were kept up to speed with who's coming in and who's going out.

Maybe my releases are a little bland, but I don't think we do too badly as a club in terms of communicating with fans.

Reading this as Batley fan, I have to say the ''releases'' from the Dews Club via Tom Coates leave us standing here at the mount ( Well done Tom). We get NOTHING on Forums or the Club page as we found out on Sunday when the team was announced at Sheffield that

Surprise Surprise,we had signed Heaton from Fax, and 2 Dual regs from the Giants.

Also we have NO mention over here about Grayston, so where does that leave HIM??

Have to say the passion on this topic is good.

See you ALL on the 17th.

ColinB.

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

#118 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:57 AM

Reading this as Batley fan, I have to say the ''releases'' from the Dews Club via Tom Coates leave us standing here at the mount ( Well done Tom). We get NOTHING on Forums or the Club page as we found out on Sunday when the team was announced at Sheffield that
Surprise Surprise,we had signed Heaton from Fax, and 2 Dual regs from the Giants.
Also we have NO mention over here about Grayston, so where does that leave HIM??
Have to say the passion on this topic is good.
See you ALL on the 17th.
ColinB.

Excellent post, Botters. In the case of general transfer deadline day logistics and the subsequent lack of news, I would have to question the wisdom of our Chief Executive booking a vacation for one of the busiest and most important weeks of the season. I realise that everyone deserves a holiday, but surely this could have been timed better.

Edited by TheTerminator, 30 July 2014 - 10:08 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users