Photo
- - - - -

Is Goulding the right man to take us forward?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 5 drives 4 a drive

5 drives 4 a drive
  • Players
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:07 PM

I must admit I was full of enthusiasm when Bobby Goulding was appointed as Anthony Murray's successor, but after a disastrous season I'm far from convinced that Bobby is the right coach to steer us back up again.  I know he can't be blamed for the pathetic recruitment drive and pre-season but he's had plenty of time to turn the fortunes round, it could even be argued that the team are playing even worse than under Murray. Some of the tackling I have witnessed this season has been absolutely diabolical, powder puff springs to mind, no team at whatever level will win games of Rugby with defence so poor.

Bobby decided to go down the duel reg route with Salford when he took over, the decision split everyone's opinion when it was announced, the partnership began very promising we were loaned the likes of Evalds and Walton who were brilliant for us, they were soon recalled and are now permanent fixtures for Salford, good luck to these players of course, but since then the deal has just fizzled away to nothing, we haven't had a single player off Salford for well over a month.

If the Bod do decide to offer Bobby a long term deal, surely it can't be the 3 year contract that he is harbouring after. I would offer him a 2 year deal based on the club gaining promotion after his 1st season.

The obvious benefit of having Goulding remain as coach, would be the continuity of him being able to build his team and have a proper pre-season, unlike last season where we were into November before the appointment of Murray was sorted, a lot of the better players had found contracts with other clubs by then.

It's obvious we need our better local players like Harrison, Campbell, Dawson, Mossop & Toal to form the backbone of next season's squad. It would be great to sign up travellers like Jones and Grant but the latter is far too good a player for the 3rd tier of RL. I believe Bullock has signed a new contract at Leigh, just rewards for a player who has been without doubt our best forward this season.

I would be very interested to hear what other Raiders fans think about this very important decision.

Edited by 5 drives 4 a drive, 25 July 2014 - 06:38 PM.

#2 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:42 PM

The majority of the players in the squad aren't good enough for this division. I'm not going to judge him until next year and with a pre season under his belt.

He has an ego but as do most of the top coaches.
  • STW likes this

#3 Raider94

Raider94
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:53 PM

Think weve actually played some good attacking rugby at times, its just defence that lets us down, playing at this level they shouldnt need to be shown how to tackle. I dont think Bobbie can be blamed for the season, see how he goes next year

Tom Heighton

#4 livo

livo
  • Coach
  • 888 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:13 PM

Do we know if he is playing this week. I'm still on the fence about him really. We've only won 2 games under him. Any other club would of got rid by now. I don't believe in giving any one a 3 year deal but if we do there must be stipulations, lets say if we lose 50% of our games next season, we can get rid.

Also something has been bugging me and a lot of others aswell. After the game can he and the players start coming over to the Raiders Bar instead of staying upstairs in the Lewthwaite Suite. We might not be sponsors but we are supporters.

FACEBOOK PAGE: Barrow raiders Bar. Follow for promotions and up to date events.

#5 richie keay

richie keay

Tipping Comp Winner

• Coach
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:31 PM

One thing that does concern me about Bobby is his temperament, we saw him stupidly get himself sent off for a verbal tirade at a touch judge which resulted in a lengthy suspension. On Sunday against Sheffield I was sat at the back of the stand and witnessed Booby shoot down the steps after one of many bad decisions by the referee, and have a right go at the match commissioner. If memory serves me right did the Keighley coach Paul March not receive a 2 month stadium ban for abusing match officials. The last thing we need is our coach having to watch the matches stood on a pair of step ladders outside the ground.

Posted Image

#6 SJD

SJD
  • Coach
  • 261 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:21 PM

I'll keep this short.....NO!

#7 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:42 PM

How did he come across at the sportsman dinner?

Posted Image

#8 weststiger

weststiger
  • Players
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:34 PM

The majority of the players in the squad aren't good enough for this division. I'm not going to judge him until next year and with a pre season under his belt.
He has an ego but as do most of the top coaches.

If we leave him in charge for another season I am afraid we will not be in the position we are today ,going into the 3rd tier,no,we need the local coach up the road whom every one is talking about ,he should be the coach to take us up,he kwows what is required,to achieve this.come on BOD act know not at Christmas.

#9 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:45 PM

If we leave him in charge for another season I am afraid we will not be in the position we are today ,going into the 3rd tier,no,we need the local coach up the road whom every one is talking about ,he should be the coach to take us up,he kwows what is required,to achieve this.come on BOD act know not at Christmas.

So we are meant to sack Goulding with the intention of replacing him with someone who doesn't want the job?

At least give him a chance, Tim Sheens couldn't of coached this side to consistently competing at this level - the gulf between us and other sides is evident. If BG works hard to bring the ameteurs into the club and get involved then I am prepared to give him a go.

#10 Raider94

Raider94
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 04:59 AM

So we are meant to sack Goulding with the intention of replacing him with someone who doesn't want the job?

At least give him a chance, Tim Sheens couldn't of coached this side to consistently competing at this level - the gulf between us and other sides is evident. If BG works hard to bring the ameteurs into the club and get involved then I am prepared to give him a go.

Well said!

Tom Heighton

#11 raiders96

raiders96
  • Coach
  • 379 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:40 PM

I can see were your coming from about questioning him but he was appointed at the wrong time. If he was appointed at the start of the season instead of Murray I am confident that we would be in top 8 or in that area atm! It was always gonna be hard for Bobbie to keep us up with what he had available when he came. And I'm very confident we'll be back up next year with Bobbie.

#12 HP Beans

HP Beans
  • Coach
  • 316 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:30 PM

I'm not getting good vibes from him at the moment I'm afraid,so my answer is no!

#13 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:40 AM

I'm not getting good vibes from him at the moment I'm afraid,so my answer is no!

They are vibes though, he needs a pre season and half a season before we can judge his qualities.

His ego is big which is no denying, but so is Bellamy, Sheens, Hassler, Wane ect all coaches have one. But he has had no season to recruit, no pre season, picked up a squad up of players who are nor good enough for this league it would of been a miracle for him to keep us up.

I'm not convinced he is the right coach, but I am prepared to give him a chance. Anyone to base his coaching ability on this years success is deluded.

#14 Walnut

Walnut
  • Players
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:36 AM

Giving him a three year contract after such poor results would be ridiculous. Two years, or preferably a rolling one would be best for all parties.

I had expected this team to be going well by now as Bobby is noted for getting the best out of players, but the team does not seem to be responding as well as hoped.

With the debts under control at last perhaps some decent players will come to the club knowing that the Raiders are better placed than most others in the lower leagues to survive and get some success.

#15 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:08 PM

No he's not anymore...if we had stayed up I would have given him a chance, however now we are relegated how can we possibly afford a full time coach. Nothing against Bobby but he has had plenty of opportunity to change the squad and tactics. How many times are you going to blame pre-season and inherited squad. Only one guy for me to take this club forward, he was not willing due to commitments 3 YEARS AGO! Before certain people jump down my throat, HAS ANYONE ASKED HIM???

Answer....NO!!!!!!! 

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#16 Flaming balls

Flaming balls
  • Coach
  • 593 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:18 PM

If he's going to be asked then it needs to be "NOW" for next year.

No good waiting til season is over.

I like Bobbie, but became a little disheartened after the sportsmen a dinner. He doesn't really seem to have time for the fans. I know he's a coach but without the fans there is no team to coach.

#17 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:42 PM

I think that considering the season we have had on the field our support has been terrific. I know the Sheffield gate was the lowest at 871 but the average home gate so far is 1079.

What worries me most is the gates of all the games in CH1. The average gates are

Gateshead  274

Gloucester  236

Hemel         201

Hunslet       452

Oldham      491

Oxford        262

Scorpions   256

Skolars       411

York            537

The present gates of Swinton,Rochdale & Crusaders are little better than the above.

If this situation occurs I think we have got real problems.

Posted Image

#18 HP Beans

HP Beans
  • Coach
  • 316 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:51 PM

They are vibes though, he needs a pre season and half a season before we can judge his qualities.
His ego is big which is no denying, but so is Bellamy, Sheens, Hassler, Wane ect all coaches have one. But he has had no season to recruit, no pre season, picked up a squad up of players who are nor good enough for this league it would of been a miracle for him to keep us up.
I'm not convinced he is the right coach, but I am prepared to give him a chance. Anyone to base his coaching ability on this years success is deluded.

I understand the give him time bit RSN but to compare his ego with those coaches is a joke,they are all proven coaches Bobbie is not!
Rolling contract at best for me considering the financial situation,I cannot trust somebody who picks himself in the team at whatever age he is and then gets himself a ban after gobbling off in front of all his own supporters,surely a coach should be leading by example not being made an example of!

#19 RAIDERSRUS

RAIDERSRUS
  • Coach
  • 442 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:29 PM

I was more than happy to give Goulding a chance when he came in, but all he has done is show what a loose cannon he is. You can't have your head coach constantly mouthing off at referees, touch judges, players etc.... He's had long enough now to make some sort of difference but nothing has changed, don't forget he has brought a few of his own players in so he can't keep blaming the squad he inherited. Offer Paul Crarey the job and make it worth his while to do it.

#20 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:59 PM

For starters I am completely un-convinced that the finances are sorted or any were near sorted as yet given what had to occur to get the club through last year and given the lack of apparent push this season on business sponsorship.  That brings my thoughts to 1 Raiders must have a run of wins next season to maintain fans above 800 especially as the gate takings will be down by at least 3k per home game. Players wont be on much less than this year if win money is involved so more work will need to be done to find the shortfall on income. 2. Raiders must go back up next year and giving any coach a half season chance before deciding his future at the club is madness.  I agree that Paul Crarey (who was number one choice in 2011) is the man to turn it round as he has the respect of players and the RFL.

"we all make mistakes that's why they put rubbers on pencils"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users