Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Is Goulding the right man to take us forward?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:03 PM

For starters I am completely un-convinced that the finances are sorted or any were near sorted as yet given what had to occur to get the club through last year and given the lack of apparent push this season on business sponsorship. That brings my thoughts to 1 Raiders must have a run of wins next season to maintain fans above 800 especially as the gate takings will be down by at least 3k per home game. Players wont be on much less than this year if win money is involved so more work will need to be done to find the shortfall on income. 2. Raiders must go back up next year and giving any coach a half season chance before deciding his future at the club is madness. I agree that Paul Crarey (who was number one choice in 2011) is the man to turn it round as he has the respect of players and the RFL.

How on earth is your post apart from the last three lines relevant to the thread?

#22 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:43 AM

How on earth is your post apart from the last three lines relevant to the thread?

strange how you never commented the same on the post about gates ?  The club must ensure not only the right coach to acheive the goal is in place but that he is affordable

"we all make mistakes that's why they put rubbers on pencils"

#23 Red Stripe

Red Stripe
  • Coach
  • 992 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:49 AM

At least we managed one positive thread before getting back to the same old routine of slagging off the team, the coach, the board and anyone else you would care to name!

Mike Liversedge

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

#24 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:26 AM

getting back on topic .... having given it some thought my opinion would be NO

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#25 Raider94

Raider94
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:48 AM

If he didnt want the job when we needed him most why give him it now? Its obvious what BG thinks of the club, he wants to set up an acadamy, give young local lads a chance and he wants to take the club forward, give him a season to show what he can do before jumping on the cresta bandwagon.

Tom Heighton

#26 Red Stripe

Red Stripe
  • Coach
  • 992 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:41 AM

If he didnt want the job when we needed him most why give him it now? Its obvious what BG thinks of the club, he wants to set up an acadamy, give young local lads a chance and he wants to take the club forward, give him a season to show what he can do before jumping on the cresta bandwagon.

My thought precisely Tom.

Mike Liversedge

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

#27 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:02 PM

Tom, was this not what Cresta achieved last time he was in the position and on a much tighter budget?

In my opinion Cresta is the more experienced and more successful of the two; I tell you now if I was Director of Rugby he would have been my first call once relegation was assured.

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#28 Raider94

Raider94
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:37 PM

He did achieve it, but that doesnt mean that he's the only coach whos going to achieve that does it? Im not saying Cresta isnt a good coach, i think he would do well for us, just dont think it would be fair to get rid of Goulding before hes had a full season, next year he cant blame the previous coach, or the team he inherited, fitness etc. so lets see what he can do and if it doesnt work out thats the time to look for a new coach.

Tom Heighton

#29 bangbang

bangbang
  • Coach
  • 532 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:48 PM

Id give BG a rolling 12 month deal if he is so confident in his ability to build a team and push for promotion then what is the problem. The deal has to the best one for the club.
Rip the bludgers heads off!

#30 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:54 PM

1) For starters I am completely un-convinced that the finances are sorted or any were near sorted as yet given what had to occur to get the club through last year and given the lack of apparent push this season on business sponsorship.  

2) That brings my thoughts to 1 Raiders must have a run of wins next season to maintain fans above 800 especially as the gate takings will be down by at least 3k per home game.

3) Players wont be on much less than this year if win money is involved so more work will need to be done to find the shortfall on income. 

4) Raiders must go back up next year and giving any coach a half season chance before deciding his future at the club is madness.  I agree that Paul Crarey (who was number one choice in 2011) is the man to turn it round as he has the respect of players and the RFL.

1) Didn't the chairman state we would of cleared all the debt by Christmas

2) When we were last in this division crowds were in the 1300-1400 range. Both the soccer and the rugby's crowds generally rise and fall depending on how well the team is doing, the league is usually pretty irrelevant. We are averaging 1 win every 7 games this year. We will be winning more games and the crowds IMO will be fine. We could select a side with the best ameteurs from round here and beat the bottom 5 sides home and away. The average of the crowds in the league apart from us will be at least half of what ours will be, I can guarantee that.

3) So you think we are going to spend more money on the squad next year despite a much lower salary cap. I appreciate win pay will make a huge difference but I imagine the base rate of pay will be much higher in this league. I appreciate we will get less crowd money but I will be more than surprised if we aren't using a lot of money to pay off debt currently hence the cheap squad. Nearly every team in the league next year will have smaller than 500 crowds. With the debt cleared i don't understand why we should be worrying?

4) As I say he needs time to prove himself. Even if we didn't have a coach we would beat the southern sides. There are two promotion spots up for grabs. Next year we will be in a position to recruit better. I am confident for next year with BG. Until Crarey states he wants the job i don't see the point in chasing after him.

Based on looking at other squads our side is going to be considerably less than everyone elses. Doncaster can afford a third place in the league side on 650 crowd average and they are winning games. Dewsbury got 575 against us yesterday yet they have players like Anthony Thackeray, Karl Pryce, Lee Sheriffe ect. Clubs on nearly half the crowds have clearly much more expensive squads than ourselves. I appreciate other sides have ways of getting income in, but the fact we are averaging 1000 and own our own ground so take all beer and food money have an extremely cheap squad suggests we will be doing much better financially than others. I'm not an extremely experienced businessman, but if sides are averaging 300-400 people less a fortnight on gate money, have more expensive squads and have more rent ect we are going to be doing better financially even without seeing all the numbers.

#31 Marv Woodburn

Marv Woodburn
  • Coach
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:12 AM

Nope. Egotistical Imbecile that he is.

#32 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:47 AM

1) Didn't the chairman state we would of cleared all the debt by Christmas

2) When we were last in this division crowds were in the 1300-1400 range. Both the soccer and the rugby's crowds generally rise and fall depending on how well the team is doing, the league is usually pretty irrelevant. We are averaging 1 win every 7 games this year. We will be winning more games and the crowds IMO will be fine. We could select a side with the best ameteurs from round here and beat the bottom 5 sides home and away. The average of the crowds in the league apart from us will be at least half of what ours will be, I can guarantee that.

3) So you think we are going to spend more money on the squad next year despite a much lower salary cap. I appreciate win pay will make a huge difference but I imagine the base rate of pay will be much higher in this league. I appreciate we will get less crowd money but I will be more than surprised if we aren't using a lot of money to pay off debt currently hence the cheap squad. Nearly every team in the league next year will have smaller than 500 crowds. With the debt cleared i don't understand why we should be worrying?

4) As I say he needs time to prove himself. Even if we didn't have a coach we would beat the southern sides. There are two promotion spots up for grabs. Next year we will be in a position to recruit better. I am confident for next year with BG. Until Crarey states he wants the job i don't see the point in chasing after him.

Based on looking at other squads our side is going to be considerably less than everyone elses. Doncaster can afford a third place in the league side on 650 crowd average and they are winning games. Dewsbury got 575 against us yesterday yet they have players like Anthony Thackeray, Karl Pryce, Lee Sheriffe ect. Clubs on nearly half the crowds have clearly much more expensive squads than ourselves. I appreciate other sides have ways of getting income in, but the fact we are averaging 1000 and own our own ground so take all beer and food money have an extremely cheap squad suggests we will be doing much better financially than others. I'm not an extremely experienced businessman, but if sides are averaging 300-400 people less a fortnight on gate money, have more expensive squads and have more rent ect we are going to be doing better financially even without seeing all the numbers.

From the outside without having knowledge of the clubs debts/income and general running costs it would be very simple to think as you have. I would not compare other clubs finances with Raiders to see were the club stands in the season to come as each club will have its own problems surviving in that league.

Only time will tell but all debenture holders will have a chance very shortly to examine and make there own opinion of the clubs accounts as of November 2013 and the future is only in the Directors hands.

"we all make mistakes that's why they put rubbers on pencils"

#33 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:20 AM

I think you's could do a lot worse than giving Gary charlton the job. He got town out of that league and got us to the playoffs in his 1st year in the championship. He's local so he knows a lot of the good amateurs, remember it was Gary who signed rooney, the Phillips brothers, Lucock and duerden from the local game and all are really good players. So he has an eye for that type of talent. There was a reason why both haven and town both passed on goulding.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#34 richie keay

richie keay

Tipping Comp Winner

• Coach
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:43 AM

Lost track a bit with being away, wots been going on
Posted Image