Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Voluntary tackles

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,498 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:31 PM

We hear people saying that a player has committed a voluntary tackle
But surely the only way a tackle can be voluntary is when a player goes to ground with nobody touching him then gets up and plays the ball
As soon as an opposition player lays a finger on him/ her then the ball carrier is allowed to surrender
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#2 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,921 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:33 PM

People often confuse voluntary tackles with surrendering.

Like you say, it's only a voluntary tackle if they play the ball without anyone completing the tackle.

Edited by Wellsy4HullFC, 25 July 2014 - 08:34 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,229 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:46 PM

A voluntary tackle is when you go to ground and the ref calls play on and you don't get up.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#4 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,620 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:52 AM

Voluntary tackle 4.

A player in possession shall not deliberately and unnecessarily allow himself to be tackled by voluntarily falling to the ground when not held by an opponent. If a player drops on a loose ball he shall not remain on the ground waiting to be tackled if he has time to regain his feet and continue play.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#5 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,086 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:11 AM

And that is why there is confusion, as that is not how its applied.

#6 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,205 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:22 AM

The clearest example I ever saw was Joynt in the GF v Bulls.  He took possession with Jimmy Lowes stood next to him, Lowes scrupulously avoided touching him, but Joynt went down. Voluntary tackle, but no penalty.  Was it Russell Smith?  Can't remember,  But the Bulls were on the wrong end of some lousy decisions that day.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#7 Marv Woodburn

Marv Woodburn
  • Coach
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:53 PM

Voluntary tackle 4.

A player in possession shall not deliberately and unnecessarily allow himself to be tackled by voluntarily falling to the ground when not held by an opponent. If a player drops on a loose ball he shall not remain on the ground waiting to be tackled if he has time to regain his feet and continue play.

which they do, voluntary tackle, nothing to do with the play the ball. God it annoys me so much! It looks almost as cowardly and pathetic as the footballer who feigns injury.

Edited by Marv Woodburn, 27 July 2014 - 05:54 PM.

#8 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:11 PM

Only ever seen one given in over 40 years of watching: circa1990, a winter's Wednesday night at Watershedings, Oldham v Feath, against David Hobbs who dropped on a loose ball but didn't try to get up but waited to be tackled just as the description in BSJ's post above.

#9 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:23 PM

The clearest example I ever saw was Joynt in the GF v Bulls. He took possession with Jimmy Lowes stood next to him, Lowes scrupulously avoided touching him, but Joynt went down. Voluntary tackle, but no penalty. Was it Russell Smith? Can't remember, But the Bulls were on the wrong end of some lousy decisions that day.

Yeah, ref bottled the decision that day.
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#10 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:52 PM

Any referee alive would have eschewed penalising the godlike figure of Chris Joynt when faced with the snarling pantomime villain of Jimmy Lowes. Never a penalty:)
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#11 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:39 AM

The clearest example I ever saw was Joynt in the GF v Bulls.  He took possession with Jimmy Lowes stood next to him, Lowes scrupulously avoided touching him, but Joynt went down. Voluntary tackle, but no penalty.  Was it Russell Smith?  Can't remember,  But the Bulls were on the wrong end of some lousy decisions that day.

I didn't have a problem with that one myself :biggrin:

#12 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,181 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:42 AM

shall we start another thread called joynts voluntary tackle?? the last one went on for about 10 years

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#13 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:12 AM

Voluntary tackles are an archaic remnant of unlimited tackle rugby.

Edited by Griff, 28 July 2014 - 09:13 AM.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#14 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:40 AM

Except the Ref shouted play-on so Joint started crawling forward until a Bull player touched him. Tackle then complete

#15 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,498 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:43 AM

so no opposition player laid a finger on Joynt? What did he do after he went down?

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 28 July 2014 - 11:50 AM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#16 GaryO

GaryO
  • Coach
  • 427 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:44 AM

Voluntary tackles are an archaic remnant of unlimited tackle rugby.

So you endorse a player throwing himself to the floor when actually he is cheating the opposition, before I am castigated for that statement if you watched the Hull v Cas game you will have witnessed young Shoal fielding a ball very close to his goal line, it was a very good chase by the Cas players but they were denied tackling him and forcing him over the goal line to effect a drop out has he "vlounterially" went to ground.

I suppose we should congratulate him for realising that referees are either ignorant of the rule or don't have the bottle to endorse it.
"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

#17 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:01 PM

I seem to remember in the days of winter rugby you'd often see a slightly built full-back catch the ball after a 5th tackle kick, run it in a good 30m or so before "slipping" over just as they approached the opposition defensive line, presumably to avoid getting pummelled......I always thought that was a voluntary tackles of sorts though you don't see so much of it these days

#18 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:55 PM

So you endorse a player throwing himself to the floor when actually he is cheating the opposition, before I am castigated for that statement if you watched the Hull v Cas game you will have witnessed young Shoal fielding a ball very close to his goal line, it was a very good chase by the Cas players but they were denied tackling him and forcing him over the goal line to effect a drop out has he "vounterally" went to ground.

I suppose we should congratulate him for realising that referees are either ignorant of the rule or don't have the bottle to endorse it.

Well, if you wish, I suppose.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#19 GaryO

GaryO
  • Coach
  • 427 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:31 AM

Well, if you wish, I suppose.

Well that was a very logical response to a valid statement, can't say that I expected anything other than that.
"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

#20 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,994 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:45 AM

So you endorse a player throwing himself to the floor when actually he is cheating the opposition, before I am castigated for that statement if you watched the Hull v Cas game you will have witnessed young Shoal fielding a ball very close to his goal line, it was a very good chase by the Cas players but they were denied tackling him and forcing him over the goal line to effect a drop out has he "vlounterially" went to ground.

Spot on - that for me was the perfect example of a voluntary tackle not penalised.

Rangi got done season before last I think.

Ball was dropped by opposition and Rangi pounced on it, never got tackled as opposition stayed clear and he got up and played the ball

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.