TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Voluntary tackles

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:01 PM

I seem to remember in the days of winter rugby you'd often see a slightly built full-back catch the ball after a 5th tackle kick, run it in a good 30m or so before "slipping" over just as they approached the opposition defensive line, presumably to avoid getting pummelled......I always thought that was a voluntary tackles of sorts though you don't see so much of it these days

The ones you see today tend to be close to the lines where players in possession dive down at, or close to, the [would be] tacklers legs, either to avoid being pushed into touch or to get over the goal line and avoid conceding a drop out. They may not be the 'classics' but the player in pssession is choosing, in his best interests, where he wants the ref to call "held" and where the play stops, so it's about as voluntary as it gets, to be honest. Strangely, these people are congratualted on TV for their 'brilliant' play, by Stevo et al.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#22 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:57 PM

To my mind it's down to the tacklers to hold off and not touch the player going to ground - If they stopped and stood clear then it would be more blatant and easy to spot!

Soon as they lay a hand on then the tackles complete (despite what the rules may state!)

Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#23 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:56 PM

Well that was a very logical response to a valid statement, can't say that I expected anything other than that.

The point I was making is that, if we'd had six tackle rugby back in the day whenever the voluntary tackle rule was invented, we wouldn't have had a voluntary tackle rule.  People would have just seen it as wasting a tackle out of the set of six.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#24 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:11 AM

The point I was making is that, if we'd had six tackle rugby back in the day whenever the voluntary tackle rule was invented, we wouldn't have had a voluntary tackle rule.  People would have just seen it as wasting a tackle out of the set of six.

Except when it prevents conceding a drop out or being forced into touch..

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users