Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Commonwealth Games 7s

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 757 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:52 PM

I attended the Commonwealth Games sevens at Ibrox today and there were a few things that irked me.
1 Whenever there was an overlapping winger in space, the runner with the ball would invariably cut in towards the centre and where the defence was stationed. Do union players have no trust in their wingers?
2 Wales had used the extra man to score a try in the corner but were still 9 points down. Instead of a quick conversion attempt and the possibility of scoring more points before the cautioned player reentered the field, the kicker was forced to wait for his tardy colleague to amble back into position.
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#2 Gosman

Gosman
  • Coach
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:44 AM

Rugby Union 7 ' s is about possession. Having a wing isolated might lose possession so some teams (not all I note and not all the time either) might prefer to keep it closer to support players.

How did you find the atmosphere? It looks pretty rocking on television.

#3 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,077 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:11 PM

Terrible decision by the ref in the England v Samoa game.
Fides invicta triumphat

#4 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,789 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:10 PM

Strange sort of a game isn't it. There are some quick and skilful players and some good handling at times, but far too easy to find a gap and once they do it's just a case of someone racing in. Hard to get excited about, and hard to watch for too long when Inverdale is presenting.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#5 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,813 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:29 PM

Strange sort of a game isn't it. There are some quick and skilful players and some good handling at times, but far too easy to find a gap and once they do it's just a case of someone racing in. Hard to get excited about, and hard to watch for too long when Inverdale is presenting.

The online stream has just live commentary and no Inverdolt, as far as I have heard.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#6 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,210 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:24 PM

I watched the end of the Oz - Wales game, Wales had a three man overlap with less than a minute on the clock and didn't score, the player in possession obviously either lacked the nous or the confidence to take the outside and if tackled lob the ball inside.  Result?  Ruck, Oz penalty, followed by another Oz penalty and Oz score and  win. I hate it when Oz win - at anything!!!!

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#7 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,309 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:27 PM

Wales managed to repeat their last minute defeat against the English. Very pleased to see that.

28m391z.jpg

#8 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,837 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:06 PM

Probably as bad a final as i have ever seen NZ were terrible because of themselves, posing and slowing the game until they made a mistake a bit like football when they hold the ball and end up giving a goal away.

utter rubbish.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#9 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:36 PM

Were there any rugby players in any of the teams? Or was it just for players that aren't good enough for rugby?
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#10 Gosman

Gosman
  • Coach
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:50 PM

The tactics from NZ in the second part of the first half was deliberate to run down the clock whilst they were a man down. As for if the game was poor or not, I would suggest 45000 people at the game didn't agree with you.

#11 Gosman

Gosman
  • Coach
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:51 PM

The tactics from NZ in the second part of the first half was deliberate to run down the clock whilst they were a man down. As for if the game was poor or not, I would suggest 45000 people at the game didn't agree with you.

#12 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:38 AM

Why we're Fiji not in the tournament, they are a commonwealth country aren't they?

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#13 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,813 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:59 AM

Why we're Fiji not in the tournament, they are a commonwealth country aren't they?

Here you go - http://www.bbc.co.uk...w-west-26734943

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#14 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:13 AM

Here you go - http://www.bbc.co.uk...w-west-26734943

Cheers,

Politics again ehh, disappointing.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#15 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,309 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:44 AM

Were there any rugby players in any of the teams? Or was it just for players that aren't good enough for rugby?

7 rugby players in each team, plus subs.

28m391z.jpg

#16 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,069 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:48 AM

Edit
Beaten to it

Edited by Shadow, 28 July 2014 - 09:49 AM.

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#17 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,299 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:26 AM

I only saw the final but was pretty disappointed.  Obviously you expect a bit more of a conservative game when the Gold Medal is on the line but it came across as unduly negative.  The crowd didn't noticeably get excited by anything other than tries which suggests a lack of jaw-dropping excitement.

That said, I'm still looking forward to 7s in the Olympics.  If New Zealand blow up in that final I might not stop laughing for days.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#18 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,813 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:02 AM

And Fiji will be in the Olympics.

#19 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,933 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:55 AM

And Fiji will be in the Olympics.

I saw one conversation going on about how they'll manage with the extra teams in the Olympics as the 7s format of 4 teams in 4 pools is pretty fixed and not that flexible.  The likes of Malaysia, Singapore and PNG will want to be playing again but France, Fiji and the USA will be saying they want back in as more senior nations.  If they get a few more teams then they could hold it over a couple of weekends with the first weekend being a qualifying tournament for the top 16 nations.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#20 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,299 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:19 PM

I saw one conversation going on about how they'll manage with the extra teams in the Olympics as the 7s format of 4 teams in 4 pools is pretty fixed and not that flexible.  The likes of Malaysia, Singapore and PNG will want to be playing again but France, Fiji and the USA will be saying they want back in as more senior nations.  If they get a few more teams then they could hold it over a couple of weekends with the first weekend being a qualifying tournament for the top 16 nations.

Handball (huzzah!) has pre Olympic qualifying tournaments to sort out the places.  I'd suspect a way will be found to do the same for 7s.

EDIT PRIOR TO POSTING:

Oh, look.  A way has already been found.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012