Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Commonwealth Games 7s

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,244 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:29 AM

Well I would imagine he now spends most of his time creaming off corporate gigs with tales of 'funny rugby stories' and 'high level japes'. Maybe he is just stuck in the groove.

There is that.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#42 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,272 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:58 AM

Hastings, throughout, gave the impression of talking about a sport (RU as a whole to be honest) that hadn't changed one bit since the end of his playing days.

Trying to find a memorable Scottish RU player who had a bit of success in his playing days who speaks English at a level that people outside of Scotland can understand was always going to be a challenge. I guess Gavin was the best fit. At least they didn't have Campese there to talk sh*te.

28m391z.jpg

#43 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:31 AM

Trying to find a memorable Scottish RU player who had a bit of success in his playing days who speaks English at a level that people outside of Scotland can understand was always going to be a challenge. I guess Gavin was the best fit. At least they didn't have Campese there to talk sh*te.

Usain Bolt was at the games yesterday talking sh*** - but I don't think that is what organisers had in mind though.

#44 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:33 AM

Whenever you have plates, bowls, beakers and tommy tippee's within a 7s competition then it is hard to take it seriously.

Edited by Scubby, 30 July 2014 - 11:33 AM.

#45 latchford albion

latchford albion
  • Coach
  • 327 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:08 PM

Is Ian 'fabulous' Robertson not enough?

#46 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,272 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:47 PM

Whenever you have plates, bowls, beakers and tommy tippee's within a 7s competition then it is hard to take it seriously.

It means that teams knocked out of the main comp early still have something to play for and the crowd get to see lots of the lower level teams battling it out against opposition that they have more of a chance of beating. Great for development of emerging nations. It's a format that has been very successful for RU.

28m391z.jpg

#47 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:52 PM

Its come a long way since Wigan and Bradford won at Twickers.
South Africa had some very talented players.looked well drilled and would be more than a match for any current SL outfit.

As for the social / drinking side... in part LRL is correct.

Amsterdam Sevens is now a big corporate affair and this year included a leg of the IRB Womens world series.Once that was out of the way the party began with elite,social and veterans tournaments.Out of all the entries I reckon only five or six teams where looking to compete in the later stages on Sunday with most turning up looking like they had enjoyed the best of The Dam.

Still you can go to any country in the world and play sevens..i can count on one hand how many decent League short sided tournaments are around.

The last one at the beginning of this season in that RU holy of holies, New Zealand outdrew a long established RU 7's tournament. Just saying.

#48 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,922 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:57 AM

It means that teams knocked out of the main comp early still have something to play for and the crowd get to see lots of the lower level teams battling it out against opposition that they have more of a chance of beating. Great for development of emerging nations. It's a format that has been very successful for RU.

In the world tour the lower tier prizes also give competition points for the league table that govern the next year's competitors.  In the commonwealth games it just gives the lower tier nations a chance to go home with a win rather than just a few drubbings to show for their time at the games.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#49 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,272 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:51 PM

In the world tour the lower tier prizes also give competition points for the league table that govern the next year's competitors.  In the commonwealth games it just gives the lower tier nations a chance to go home with a win rather than just a few drubbings to show for their time at the games.

No bad thing IMHO. Otherwise a hell of a long way to go for 42 minutes of being stuffed by the big teams.

I've played in quite a few 7s tournaments in my younger days, usually end of season stuff. It's great fun but bl**dy hard work, especially when the sun was shining and the pitches were rock hard. These days I am quite happy to watch others play while I enjoy a cold beer.

28m391z.jpg

#50 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:03 PM

The last one at the beginning of this season in that RU holy of holies, New Zealand outdrew a long established RU 7's tournament. Just saying.

Yep now I have three fingers and a thumb left ..just saying like :-)