Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

bobbie goulding

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#21 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,572 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:48 PM

For anybody who is interested and doesn't know the directors are all shown on the Club Website, Match Programme and Companies House Website. As far as I am aware there are now 5 and for somebody who has been on the Board I don't think that's enough. I wonder if there will be any nominations at the AGM.

Posted Image

#22 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:38 PM

what does it actually take to become a director? 

#23 livo

livo
  • Coach
  • 888 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:02 AM

It takes nothing to be on the BOD apart from passion and a bit of know how. No offence, but I think thats whats gone wrong in the past. Some people have had financial reasons to do the job. Before I get in trouble, I'm not talking about everyone from the past BOD's.

Michael, I think Paul Ballantyne has put himself forward.

FACEBOOK PAGE: Barrow raiders Bar. Follow for promotions and up to date events.

#24 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:31 AM

From last time I spoke with an ex director there is currently 4 active Directors.

Dave Sharp   Chairman

Andy Gafney  Director of Rugby

Jeff Warrell  Director of Rugby

Phil Heighton  Facilities Director

Peter Hornby    RFL Club Delegate

There is only 4 Directors above that are Active (as I understand) The RFL delegate has missed the majority of Directors meetings since being voted on and unless things have changed no report or feed back from the RFL meetings have been received by the club.

That leaves 3 Directors to carry out votes on decisions made in the Board and 1 Chairman with a casting vote only (casting vote should never be required if 3 Directors vote (unless one abstains).

Finaces is the most important position for the club so will be interesting to see who has been carrying out this role since Keith Holt left.

"we all make mistakes that's why they put rubbers on pencils"

#25 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:35 AM

It takes nothing to be on the BOD apart from passion and a bit of know how. No offence, but I think thats whats gone wrong in the past. Some people have had financial reasons to do the job. Before I get in trouble, I'm not talking about everyone from the past BOD's.

Michael, I think Paul Ballantyne has put himself forward.

Simply putting yourself forward to be a Director doesn't work unless you know what position you can fill at the club, During 2011 a few of the Directors put themselves forward for a particular role as in Fundraising but once a few meetings had gone by it was apparent they only wanted a title with a badge.

#26 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,572 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:35 AM

I am very pleased to read that Paul is being nominated as a director.

Posted Image

#27 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:44 AM

I agree Paul is very passionate about the club and i am sure there is a role he can fill with so many director positions empty

#28 Paul Ballantyne

Paul Ballantyne
  • Coach
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:43 AM

Thanks for the vote of confidence gentleman. Much appreciated.

#29 Gus Tyson

Gus Tyson
  • Coach
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:23 PM

I agree Paul is very passionate about the club and i am sure there is a role he can fill with so many director positions empty

i agree there is a role for Paul, the role of being Willie 2 Horns!

#30 bangbang

bangbang
  • Coach
  • 532 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:41 PM

You have my vote Balla.
Rip the bludgers heads off!

#31 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,572 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:03 PM

BG was interviewed on RC before the Fev game and certainly talked in terms of being at CP next season.

Posted Image

#32 STW

STW
  • Coach
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:56 PM

Heard that myself Mike, he sounded quite upbeat and focused on the long term.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it!

Steve W

#33 alba

alba
  • Coach
  • 223 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:41 PM

Much more positive, now for Thursday.

#34 livo

livo
  • Coach
  • 888 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:52 PM

Simply putting yourself forward to be a Director doesn't work unless you know what position you can fill at the club, During 2011 a few of the Directors put themselves forward for a particular role as in Fundraising but once a few meetings had gone by it was apparent they only wanted a title with a badge.

I disagree with that Neil. Isn't that what a BOD is about. You sit around the table and decide what everyone is going to do as a team. You don't dictate to people or split people up into groups. Isn't it about working together. Thats my point about people who own their own business's and come onto the BOD, there so use to having things there own way that they forget the bigger picture.

FACEBOOK PAGE: Barrow raiders Bar. Follow for promotions and up to date events.

#35 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:14 AM

I disagree with that Neil. Isn't that what a BOD is about. You sit around the table and decide what everyone is going to do as a team. You don't dictate to people or split people up into groups. Isn't it about working together. Thats my point about people who own their own business's and come onto the BOD, there so use to having things there own way that they forget the bigger picture.

Gary any well run club has its members that fill up individual roles/positions as in secretary,fundraiser,finance,chairman etc: If the individuals need help then this can be by a sub comitee (none directors).  The Directors have serious responsibility for the running of the club and as a business (not a darts team or knitting club). Each director should bring a report to the meeting which is discussed between the members and minuted for reference and review at the next meeting. This way is no dictatorship it is simply how its done correctly. Some people believe that a chairman runs a club but that is far from what the role is about, a chairman simply keeps order in the meetings and has a casting vote only.  I would suggest before you make another comment on running clubs that you read the clubs articles of association followed by companies house responsibility's  of being a director.

The club needs a mix of strong knowledgeable characters to put there ideas forward otherwise you have one individual running the club together with a load of nodding donkeys.

#36 Flaming balls

Flaming balls
  • Coach
  • 583 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:51 PM

Yes Gaz you minion how dare you disagree with Neil!

#37 Flaming balls

Flaming balls
  • Coach
  • 583 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:59 PM

Thanks for the vote of confidence gentleman. Much appreciated.

I wondered why you've gone quiet....

#38 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:00 PM

Yes Gaz you minion how dare you disagree with Neil!

Why dont you put yourself forward Jamie, you have plenty to say ha ha

#39 Flaming balls

Flaming balls
  • Coach
  • 583 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:40 PM

Why dont you put yourself forward Jamie, you have plenty to say ha ha

I like to go pay to watch and then go home after the game.

#40 richie keay

richie keay

Tipping Comp Winner

• Coach
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:30 PM

Read the article in tonight's mail about Paul wanting to join the board. Really hope he gets voted on, as he sounds exactly the sort of person we need. Unfortunately I can't make the agm because I' m on my holidays, i'am very interested to see what comes out of it.

The good news is I'm also missing the Keighley match, so I won't be like a bear with a sore head for most of the week. Lol

Edited by richie keay, 05 August 2014 - 06:36 PM.

Posted Image