TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

bobbie goulding

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#101 SJD

SJD
  • Coach
  • 261 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:37 PM

I agree with you there Michael, common sense has prevailed and at last the majority of people have realised Goulding isn't the one for us. 

Reading the piece in tonight's Evening Mail I get the feeling the Chairman is still hoping BG changes his mind, I think he may well be star struck; Mr Chairman if you read this forum I have to say, if you think Goulding is the answer then you don't understand the question

Edited by SJD, 13 August 2014 - 04:38 PM.

#102 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:01 PM

Do people actually think if Cresta was coaching this year it would of turned out any differently? If so you are well and truly deluded.

The players signed weren't good enough simple as that. Sheffield and Batley are near the relegation zone. Everyone in the league has increased their standards whilst we assembled a worse squad than last year.

What would Cresta of done differently? The players would still be getting beat. We went and signed Dom Speakman rivals Keighley signed Paul Handforth. Whitehaven sign players like Brett Seymour and Jesse Joe Parker and look who we go and sign, a load of players with minimal first team experience.

Goulding has an ego there is no doubt but he clearly respects the club. A lot of work needs to go in but at least he admits it and wants to try do it. IMO we do need a full time coach for a couple of years to try and rebuild. I wouldn't mind a rolling full time contract tbh.

If you are using results for your argument against BG then use another one because it isn't valid at all. The players just aren't good enough.

#103 RAIDERSRUS

RAIDERSRUS
  • Coach
  • 449 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:00 PM

Do people actually think if Cresta was coaching this year it would of turned out any differently? If so you are well and truly deluded.

The players signed weren't good enough simple as that. Sheffield and Batley are near the relegation zone. Everyone in the league has increased their standards whilst we assembled a worse squad than last year.

What would Cresta of done differently? The players would still be getting beat. We went and signed Dom Speakman rivals Keighley signed Paul Handforth. Whitehaven sign players like Brett Seymour and Jesse Joe Parker and look who we go and sign, a load of players with minimal first team experience.

Goulding has an ego there is no doubt but he clearly respects the club. A lot of work needs to go in but at least he admits it and wants to try do it. IMO we do need a full time coach for a couple of years to try and rebuild. I wouldn't mind a rolling full time contract tbh.

If you are using results for your argument against BG then use another one because it isn't valid at all. The players just aren't good enough.

Who are you to tell people they are deluded?

There's a good chance that Paul Crarey wouldn't have signed most of this years squad so how can you say things wouldn't have been any different?

Goulding has been here long enough now to make a difference and has brought in a few of his own players, yet nothing has changed, so yes he can be judged on results.

The last 2 home games attendances have shown what people think of the current situation.

#104 blue forever

blue forever
  • Coach
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:06 PM

Difficult to compare due to so many ifs and buts about players, but the biggest thing for me is Bobbie Goulding is all about Bobbie Goulding, Cresta would be all about Barrow Raiders. But we've no idea whether Cresta wants the job. If he doesn't we need someone else because Goulding is not the answer

I dont want to join the army...

Posted Image

#105 atp

atp
  • Players
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:36 PM

I would agree to a full time coach, to do the job fully time is needed to look at players, signing players, setting training schedules, ect. As well as looking at the opposing teams each week. Some of the previous full time coaches have also done jobs around the ground when time allowed. This IMO would help the club at present, I hope time is taken (not to much) to look at ALL possibilities and not rush into something that we may regret next season.
Could anyone tell me if the board are to advertise the post?

#106 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:23 PM

Who are you to tell people they are deluded?

There's a good chance that Paul Crarey wouldn't have signed most of this years squad so how can you say things wouldn't have been any different?

Goulding has been here long enough now to make a difference and has brought in a few of his own players, yet nothing has changed, so yes he can be judged on results.

The last 2 home games attendances have shown what people think of the current situation.

How on earth can you say the results would of been different for Cresta compared to Goulding because he wouldn't of signed the majority of this season's squad? Goulding didn't sign the majority of it either!

Do you know how hard it is to sign quality players mid season? It is literally impossible. All the quality is signed up on contracts. To sign good players you need to open talks a couple of weeks after the season ends and get it done - something we have failed to do. He has brought players in but we are 7 or 8 quality championship players off being a 9th place side.

Crowds are down because we are losing. It's all the people of Barrow care about. We were winning in 2009 despite the club being horribly run and we got 3000 crowds towards the end of the season. Apart from the loyal fans, people only really show up when we are winning. Barrow AFC were getting 500 crowds on Tuesdays last year, last night they got 1400. Wonder why? The expectancy of a victory prior to the game determines the crowd in Barrow.

#107 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:26 PM

Difficult to compare due to so many ifs and buts about players, but the biggest thing for me is Bobbie Goulding is all about Bobbie Goulding, Cresta would be all about Barrow Raiders. But we've no idea whether Cresta wants the job. If he doesn't we need someone else because Goulding is not the answer

I can agree with that argument.

The results one I cannot. Goulding does seem to respect the club though which you have to give him credit for. He has obviously made an impression on the BOD so he must be doing something right with his intentions and how he speaks about the club.

#108 Gus Tyson

Gus Tyson
  • Coach
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:59 AM

Well said Mike. Spot on. I hope the BOD are reading this.

i think the board are only interested in the cheapest option as a coach, look at Murray's appointment.

He clearly wasnt there for his rugby coaching abilities, the fact he will have been the cheapest option would have got him the coaching role!

#109 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:13 AM

The 'Mail' today headlines 'Crests hints at RL coach's bid'. According to the Mail Paul Crarey is going to think over whether to go for the coaching job whilst on a fortnights holiday. I wonder home much of the article is fact and how much is journalese.

There are full details of the coaches Raiders have had since Cresta together with there times at the Club. They number 8 different coaches since November 2007.

Posted Image

#110 Red Stripe

Red Stripe
  • Coach
  • 994 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:03 PM

The 'Mail' today headlines 'Crests hints at RL coach's bid'. According to the Mail Paul Crarey is going to think over whether to go for the coaching job whilst on a fortnights holiday. I wonder home much of the article is fact and how much is journalese.

There are full details of the coaches Raiders have had since Cresta together with there times at the Club. They number 8 different coaches since November 2007.

My main problem with that is the fact that he's going to think about it for the next 2 weeks before deciding whether to apply or not. How long is that going to delay the appointment of the new coach?

He should know now if he wants the job or not!

Mike Liversedge

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

#111 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:10 PM

I reckon the Mail have been trawling this web site and having seen all the pro messages for Cresta thought it would be a good idea to give him a ring. What he has said is probably 'off the cuff'. I'm pretty certain he doesn't read this Forum. It said in the Mail it's something he hasn't seriously thought of but he did say 'never say never'

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users