Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rugby Union Federation to ban Mexican RL players.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 flea

flea
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:27 AM

I've heard that the Rugby Union federation has threatened to ban any players that partake in tomorrows first 9's tournament. Somebody is feeling threatened.

#riseformexicorl

#2 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 183 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:37 AM

That is disgusting. A proud Rugby Union tradition right here.

#3 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,628 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:46 AM

Every time they do this it makes people more determined to play RL and eventually bites RU in the ass but it is disgusting. It follows in a long line of disgusting by RU for over a century.

#4 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:51 AM

I've heard that the Rugby Union federation has threatened to ban any players that partake in tomorrows first 9's tournament. Somebody is feeling threatened.

#riseformexicorl

#riseformexicorl

If true it shows the fear that union still has of Rugby League.

#5 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:46 AM

What is it they say about leopards changing their spots..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#6 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,342 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:20 AM

#riseformexicorl

oh ok.  So where did you hear this?

#7 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 869 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:53 PM

If true, then it doesn't surprise me. But I wonder why some of these new federations are always targeting only union players rather than developing locals? 

#8 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,541 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:19 PM

If true, then it doesn't surprise me. But I wonder why some of these new federations are always targeting only union players rather than developing locals? 

Most existing rugby league players in Mexico, and I am sure there are a few, are probably involved in rugby union.  The mates they know who into tough, contact sports are likely to be their rugby union team mates.  When they want to use a pitch with rugby posts and a suitable width, it is likely to be a rugby union pitch.  That is why when the sport starts, it is centred around rugby union, it is almost unavoidable.  I tried starting rugby league in Denmark using the 99.9% of the population that does not play rugby union, that was a mistake. 

As the game grows, you will attract new players unfamiliar with rugby of either code, but typically it takes time.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#9 flea

flea
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:53 PM

oh ok. So where did you hear this?

I know the guy who runs the Latin Heat (central and south American heritage team).

#10 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,342 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:57 PM

I know the guy who runs the Latin Heat (central and south American heritage team).

and? Did he tell you players will be banned?

#11 flea

flea
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:38 AM

Yes, he was told directly by people who have been threatened to be banned from returning to Union.

#12 JM2010

JM2010
  • Coach
  • 157 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:59 AM

Are they still gonna play?

#13 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,342 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:49 AM

Yes, he was told directly by people who have been threatened to be banned from returning to Union.

you'd think forcing them to stick with rugby league would not achieve what they want to achieve. Banning half a union team from playing union again would stuff up a club. 

#14 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,342 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:54 AM

So how did it go?

#15 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,069 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:51 PM

Is there actually any evidence for this other than a few conclusions being leapt to or are we just firing up the outrage wagon to make sure it still works?

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#16 brooza

brooza
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:15 AM

Is there actually any evidence for this other than a few conclusions being leapt to or are we just firing up the outrage wagon to make sure it still works?

I'm told it's just the organisers, apparently. Not the actual players (unless they were involved in the organisation)

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#17 sjrugby

sjrugby
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:52 AM

tweeted the mexican rugby union and they said its absolutely not true. in fact one of the clubs plays both league and union

#18 brooza

brooza
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:11 AM

I think this thread is done then

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board