U15's & U16's Scholarships

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 248 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:24 PM

Looks like the amateur game could be in turmoil yet again if changes to the new youth development policy come in from 2016 onwards.The super league clubs want an increase from 8 scholarships to 12, with 14 fixtures for all scholarships and also be the primary registrar of all the scholars so they will be in control of when they train and play, with their amateur club being just a secondary registrar under some type of dual registration. Sounds like they are going to take control of amateur players for their own benefit at the expense of everything else.

#2 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,974 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:42 PM

Should either be 20 games or none. 14 is enough to ruin the community season but not enough to give the players a full season

#3 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,804 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:13 PM

Should either be 20 games or none. 14 is enough to ruin the community season but not enough to give the players a full season

You just don't see the damage this will do to the game.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#4 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,974 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:22 PM

You just don't see the damage this will do to the game.

Did you read what I out of course I do. 14 games means roughly half the community season has the scholarship players, half doesn't. That to me is just wrong. Should be the same team (accounting for injuries etc) for the whole season though I could concede the need for a maximum of 3 players that don't make the team that week. What I don't see a case for is clubs being able to tell other clubs what teams they're allowed to run. Tail wagging the dog the idea of community clubs banning pro clubs from running U19s. What they can do is stop scholarship players entering the local leagues or more likely cap the number per club.

#5 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,804 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:03 PM

Did you read what I out of course I do. 14 games means roughly half the community season has the scholarship players, half doesn't. That to me is just wrong. Should be the same team (accounting for injuries etc) for the whole season though I could concede the need for a maximum of 3 players that don't make the team that week. What I don't see a case for is clubs being able to tell other clubs what teams they're allowed to run. Tail wagging the dog the idea of community clubs banning pro clubs from running U19s. What they can do is stop scholarship players entering the local leagues or more likely cap the number per club.

You haven't a clue, how are the kids going to get to being U15/16's once the volunteers are pi ss ed off and walk away from the game?

#6 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 248 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:54 PM

Did you read what I out of course I do. 14 games means roughly half the community season has the scholarship players, half doesn't.
What they can do is stop scholarship players entering the local leagues or more likely cap the number per club.

You say half the community game season don't think many Juniors will be playing 28 games at the moment

To be fair leagues have tried to cap the amount of scholarship players but clubs find ways round it

Funny thing is most of the clubs this would affect are the ones the RFL have been getting on side over the last few years I wonder if they now have a different view of the RFL, now leagues have signed up to the OR you have little say in what the RFL do

#7 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,974 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:12 PM

Yeah won't be half the number of games but it's roughly half the length of the season. Yeah this is one of the issues I disagree with the RFL over, I have no problem with scholarships in theory but I do with the way they're put into practice. To me they have to be all or nothing.

#8 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,974 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:16 PM

You haven't a clue, how are the kids going to get to being U15/16's once the volunteers are pi ss ed off and walk away from the game?

The thing you're missing is that if Altrincham told Manchester United to shut down their academy they'd be laughed at, so why would the equivalent happen in rugby league?

#9 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 248 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:29 PM

How do you think the clubs that the RFL have got close too and the Clubs that have got close too the Pro Clubs and RFL, now think?

The Pro clubs have recommended players go to certain clubs

All the pinching, poaching and directing that has gone on could lead to some teams folding if the scholars are not allowed to play for their clubs, we know this happens already but again this may accelerate

Edited by Defender1, 01 August 2014 - 10:30 PM.

#10 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 248 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:35 PM

The thing you're missing is that if Altrincham told Manchester United to shut down their academy they'd be laughed at, so why would the equivalent happen in rugby league?

Because we are a minority sport, with no money, very little help from the governing body, we need to work together

#11 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:00 AM

The point your missing is Man U fund and facilitate their academy .

#12 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,804 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:07 AM

Yeah won't be half the number of games but it's roughly half the length of the season. Yeah this is one of the issues I disagree with the RFL over, I have no problem with scholarships in theory but I do with the way they're put into practice. To me they have to be all or nothing.

The reason there are only half the number of games actually taking place is not the lack of a fixture list, it's the lack of players to fulfil the fixtures, the RFL strive for excellence and elite will only kill off many junior teams (And volunteers) once a hand full of players are taken away from a club to boost one of the selected few on the so called elite pathway, when this has happened (Now use a little common sense) and the bridge to the elite pathway has collapsed how do players cross over onto the elite pathway.

Here we go, the players will simply join one of the elite pathway clubs............But it doesn't simply happen like that Bowes, what about the guys who don't live around one of the elite clubs, what about the guy who as a kid wants to play with his mates, what about the kids who have been brought up with loyalty, what about the parent who is loyal to his club who wants his kid to play for the same team, on and on and on.

#13 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,804 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:18 AM

Theories are brilliant if you've got the resources and we simply don't have them, in fact the RFL policies are having a total reverse effect on the recruitment of kids to our game, they even pulled the plug on funding development, which must be one of the mismanaged decision of the century for our game, Doncaster has gone from every comprehensive & Grammar school playing rugby league to zilch in such a short time,  schools will be thinking twice to allow a sport who pulls out of delivering mid-term back onto their curriculum.

#14 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,804 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:23 AM

How many kids play football at school in England (I don't mean 1 game a year) ? divide the number by the number of professional football clubs then do the same with Rugby League, you may just see why Altrincham or even Accrington don't try to close Manchester United down.

#15 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,328 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:36 PM

From day one of starting an amateur club, and one that is unlikely to ever be considered "elite", we have had trouble with the performance pathway.

The concept of a path to a pro career is great, but the pro game and the RFL do not seem to understand how the various systems and the attitude of people within the pro clubs has adversely affected the development of the sport at the grass roots. Somehow because we don't get paid to run rugby league, it seems that we aren't worthy of an opinion. That, despite the fact that some of us know a lot about sports development, running businesses, teaching kids etc. and (not in my case I admit) many years of involvement with the game.

Of all the issues within the game this is the one that has caused me the most grief and ultimately contributed to my lack of willingness to put as much time and effort into the sport as I had over the previous 10 years.

All the points made by Marauder, TaxiEgg and Defender1 are valid.

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#16 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:15 PM

Shame Tim2, you express an opinion backed up by us all. The problem is is without the volunteers we have have no game, without players we have no game, I seem to think the RFL and Pro clubs have a blinkered vision of the game and they think everything is rosy, with an absolute mind set we have an excess of players

#17 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:35 PM

Just wish to echo what Tim & others have said and add that the real problem here is that we're not really talking about 'elite' kids here at all.

If we were talking about the very best 160 kids across the country to facilitate eight regional academies (14 fixtures) the community game could probably ride it out.

The problem is that some pro clubs are running 'sham' academies/scholarships and essentially stripping local community clubs of 30-40% of their players just to keep up the numbers.

Many kids are picked up by cynical pro clubs who are fully aware that they aren't 'elite level,' simply out of a wish to make up the numbers.

The damage to community clubs is catastrophic but the untold story here must be how many of these kids are discarded at 18-19 completely disillusioned with the game.

Edited by Pottsy, 02 August 2014 - 06:38 PM.

#18 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:10 PM

I agree unfortunately the Pro clubs have their own agenda knowing they have to fulfil scholarship places at the detriment of the community (amateur) game

#19 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:15 PM

Does the game need scholarships ?

Can anyone tell me the benefit to the game as a whole and give me examples of the benefits ?

#20 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:28 PM

There is NO benefit to the amateur game and realistically very little to the Pro game as only about 2-3% actually make Super League with possibly more of a % to the Championship level, as Taxi says what benefit against the disruption that is caused to the amateur game as a whole

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users