U15's & U16's Scholarships

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:00 PM

No disrespect to the Chargers but they only have an under 15s team and nothing below so when this team is picked over by Sheffield you may not have any Youth and Junior teams, to be honest the read from previous posts is depressing with the teams and clubs folding, what happened to this great expansion plan, if we are blaming it all on funding then the RFL have a lot to answer for, so where is this 16% in 16-18 and 52% Open Age increase in participation when the game seems to be getting smaller, we may not even be able to say the M62 corridor soon

The Chargers actually run numerous junior teams from U8 all the way to U16. I'm guessing your misunderstanding stems from the fact that only the current U15 side is entered into the YJRL.

What should be the current U17 has been very successful up in Yorkshire for the past few seasons (topped their division for last few years) but was forced to fold after losing the core of the team to the local semi pro academy. I think a few of the remaining lads either play in U16s or travel up to Fev Lions.

These are mainly lads whose first love has been rugby league from an early age.

#62 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 287 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:11 PM

The Chargers actually run numerous junior teams from U8 all the way to U16. I'm guessing your misunderstanding stems from the fact that only the current U15 side is entered into the YJRL.
What should be the current U17 has been very successful up in Yorkshire for the past few seasons (topped their division for last few years) but was forced to fold after losing the core of the team to the local semi pro academy. I think a few of the remaining lads either play in U16s or travel up to Fev Lions.

I think looking at the other posts playing festivals is no good, if you have teams you need to get them entered into a league or fall by the wayside as a lot of teams and clubs. Unfortunately there seems a dependence as I have said before on rugby union so it looks like our sport may realistically only be able to play May to August.

#63 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:22 PM

T feel for clubs like the Chargers who are trying hard to build a club.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#64 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:36 PM

I think looking at the other posts playing festivals is no good, if you have teams you need to get them entered into a league or fall by the wayside as a lot of teams and clubs. Unfortunately there seems a dependence as I have said before on rugby union so it looks like our sport may realistically only be able to play May to August.

You're a bit wide of the mark with the rugby union comment as far as Chargers are concerned (certainly with the juniors). I think the biggest barrier to entering more teams into leagues is a lack of volunteers/administrators.

The Chargers relies on a small team of people who work incredibly hard to cover a lot of ground. I'm sure if there were more of them they'd have more teams in leagues.

#65 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 287 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:52 PM

Sorry Pottsy not a dig at your club I mean the game in general, look at the teams listed who even Bowes has listed, Wolverhampton, Birmingham, to be fair across the midlands in general and the ones that have attracted players and created teams seem to have nobody to play, i think the RFL think volunteers grow on trees, there are less and less as they become disillusioned with the game.

: Badged Coach usually at their cost
: Badged Assistant Coach
: First Aider
: Touchline Manager
: Team Manager
: Someone to collect subs and fund raise
: Drivers
: Fixture Secretary
: Stand ins for holidays etc

More volunteers than players, what is frustrating is Nigel Wood says the game has never been healthier, think that sun in Brisbane has fried his brain

#66 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:28 PM

Sorry Pottsy not a dig at your club I mean the game in general, look at the teams listed who even Bowes has listed, Wolverhampton, Birmingham, to be fair across the midlands in general and the ones that have attracted players and created teams seem to have nobody to play, i think the RFL think volunteers grow on trees, there are less and less as they become disillusioned with the game.

: Badged Coach usually at their cost
: Badged Assistant Coach
: First Aider
: Touchline Manager
: Team Manager
: Someone to collect subs and fund raise
: Drivers
: Fixture Secretary
: Stand ins for holidays etc

More volunteers than players, what is frustrating is Nigel Wood says the game has never been healthier, think that sun in Brisbane has fried his brain

Laundry

#67 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,169 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:08 PM

Leicester ?

Well they play CLS and can raise a team in the bits that overlap with the RU season. Think they've strengthened this year with some Northampton players switching for the better standard. Not sure if they still ship in Doncaster players?

#68 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,169 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:15 PM

Well that's where your beloved RFL have got it totally wrong, their lack of common sense at the top and it's withdrawal of the paid yes sir disciples have let the development side of the game down, I'd say the damage they have done (since they captured the NCL & NW) Is probably greater than what the top table at BARLA did while sitting back watching Rome burn.

What BARLA need is a few more guys like Roger Fagge who has common sense ousing out of him and can communicate with everyone within the amateur game.

BARLA need killing off and a more reasonable body set up in their place. That represent summer and winter, heartlands and expansion and are rub for clubs not district leagues and prioritise playing leagues not district cups

#69 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,368 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:21 PM

No disrespect to the Chargers but they only have an under 15s team and nothing below so when this team is picked over by Sheffield you may not have any Youth and Junior teams, to be honest the read from previous posts is depressing with the teams and clubs folding, what happened to this great expansion plan, if we are blaming it all on funding then the RFL have a lot to answer for, so where is this 16% in 16-18 and 52% Open Age increase in participation when the game seems to be getting smaller, we may not even be able to say the M62 corridor soon

We have under 12s and Primary RL too. As soon as they're ready we'll put them in the YJL.

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#70 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,368 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:25 PM

Who said playing 1 game then going back to union, haven't Coventry, Nottingham and Bristol  for example grown from being rugby league teams dependant on union players to total rugby league teams, the secret is like Pottsy said, grow them from an early age to play rugby league (I've heard it called the Lock Lane method) because if you don't and keep taking 5 or 6 from  'whoops-a-daisy' those sources have dried up and then what are you left with but another shrinking failed club.

Nottingham have a long history predating the RLC but the other two took a bold decision to ask their players to make a choice between RU and RL and they went for it. They were fortunate that they  were strong enough to play at the only level that allowed them a long season. For clubs with lesser playing strength, there is no longer season option.

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#71 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 287 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:35 PM

We have under 12s and Primary RL too. As soon as they're ready we'll put them in the YJL.

Keep it going it is a struggle in the area where you are but teams do need to take a leaf out of your book, it does appear to be getting harder

#72 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,169 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:35 PM

Leicester have a long history though they were on the verge of folding before they switched to summer.

#73 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:20 PM

Well they play CLS and can raise a team in the bits that overlap with the RU season. Think they've strengthened this year with some Northampton players switching for the better standard. Not sure if they still ship in Doncaster players?

They do

#74 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 784 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:44 AM

Community Board minutes of July 2014......................................

7.0 - PLAYER PRODUCTION & YOUTH DEVELOPMENT

Mr Gent briefly updated the Board on the paper and reported that the same paper had been discussed at the recent Youth & Junior Management meeting however, even though the Group were supportive of the direction of travel, they had raised a number of questions and are due to meet again on 26 July to discuss the finer details.

A debate took place around various aspects of the Policy. It was acknowledged that the current system was imperfect and that this proposal was an attempt to improve it, but there are still unanswered questions about how this will work in practice and clarifications on certain points required. As such, the following schedule was adopted, to maintain the current direction of travel of the policies proposed adoption;

 All Board members should send their questions regarding the paper to Mr Gent by Friday 18 July 2014.

 Mr Gent, with the assistance of Mr Rimmer and Mr Rotherham, to answer all those questions by Wednesday 23 July 2014.

 It was noted that the policy was to be discussed at the forthcoming RFL Council meeting.

 A further meeting of the Community Board on this specific area would be organised if members thought it necessary.

NOTE: Subsequently, Community Board members met after the RL Council meeting on 23 July for further discussion. It was recognised that the decision to approve this policy sat with the RFL Board and the job of the Community Board was to work on detailed implementation for the community game and find solutions to issues raised by both Board members and the Youth and Junior Management Group.

It was agreed that a Community Board Working Group should be set up to meet over the next six to twelve months to work through issues and find solutions which could work across the whole game. Ms Crawshaw will Chair the group which will feedback into the Four Way Group already established between the Educational sector, community game, Championships and Super League. It was suggested that the creation of pilot projects in some areas might be helpful to work through practical issues and establish best practice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users