• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,162 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:48 PM

Sky Sports covering the entire thing.

For those who haven't taken the time to watch women's rugby of either code, it's like the men's version but without the egotism. Same commitment, same skills, same hits, less of the macho posturing you get in the men's game. Go on, give it a try...

Also, here's why women rugby players are tougher than you!

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#2 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,724 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:39 PM

Good start for England ladies.

#3 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:57 PM

A win for Ireland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-union/28614201

Briggs was prominent.

#4 dude02

dude02
  • Coach
  • 394 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:57 PM

Sky Sports covering the entire thing.

For those who haven't taken the time to watch women's rugby of either code, it's like the men's version but without the egotism. Same commitment, same skills, same hits, less of the macho posturing you get in the men's game. Go on, give it a try...

Also, here's why women rugby players are tougher than you!

the skills is poor and the reffing has been mostly terrible, and I've only watched bits and pieces.

#5 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:04 PM

Ireland finally beat New Zealand at RU.

http://www.rte.ie/sp...nd-new-zealand/

#6 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,162 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:17 AM

Ireland finally beat New Zealand at RU.

http://www.rte.ie/sp...nd-new-zealand/

And it was a cracker of a game.  It was very clear that Ireland had the tactics just right to nullify NZ's best players by disrupting the ball they got all game.  A thoroughly deserved win.

I watched two of yesterday's games and have the third, France v SA, to watch today in the background while working from home.  I've done well to avoid the result so far although I do expect France to give SA a bit of a thumping.

The game I'm looking forward to is England v Canada on Saturday.  Canada have a decent chance of an upset here, I'd still pick England to win but Canada have that dangerous edge.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#7 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:05 PM

Brief highlights of the NZ vs Ireland match:-

https://www.youtube....h?v=PRUEGsHhZsE

#8 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,388 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:04 PM

The Ireland v NZ game wasn't the best technical spectacle but was a great sporting event because of the way Ireland beat the odds and the fun they're going to have asking their male counterparts how they felt when they beat New Zealand. "Oh, that's right, you've never done that have you?"

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#9 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,724 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:14 PM

The Ireland v NZ game wasn't the best technical spectacle but was a great sporting event because of the way Ireland beat the odds and the fun they're going to have asking their male counterparts how they felt when they beat New Zealand. "Oh, that's right, you've never done that have you?"

Bragging rights for a very long time to come. The boys had their chance and blew it. The girls stepped up and made a bit of history.

#10 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,780 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:59 PM

The (insert teams here)  game wasn't the best technical spectacle.

Now, let me think.Where have I heard that before?

#11 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,162 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:07 PM

I've just finished watching the France v Canada semi-final.  An absolutely cracking game along with the try of the tournament: Canada defending a scrum on their 5m line, they win the ball against the head, get the ball to the winger through a few pairs of hands, including a centre doing very well to tie in two defenders, then the winger runs in for a try in the corner from 80m out after standing up multiple defenders better than most male union wingers could and leaving others in her dust.

I am really appreciating the Canadian commentator that Sky have in for the games, Meghan Mutrie.  There's something about her commentating skills that makes her quite appealing...

England v Canada in the final.  I'm now thoroughly supporting Canada in that game, the final straw was the English ex-captain commentator who spectacularly arrogantly said "England have already won the final and it's four days away" despite England struggling to get a 13:13 draw against Canada earlier in the tournament and conceding two tries to one.

#12 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,913 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:24 PM

I am really appreciating the Canadian commentator that Sky have in for the games, Meghan Mutrie.  There's something about her commentating skills that makes her quite appealing...

Her commentating skills eh? [harold steptoe mode]You dirty old man...[/harold steptoe mode]

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#13 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,162 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:37 PM

Her commentating skills eh? [harold steptoe mode]You dirty old man...[/harold steptoe mode]

I challenge you to show me where I've ever denied that ;)

I refereed a few women's games in my time but there was one very low level game, Essex University against Kent University, where the oldest player could only have been 22-23 and I really felt like Benny Hill chasing young girls around a field.  I had difficulty keeping the theme out of my head...

#14 Alfies Thumb

Alfies Thumb
  • Coach
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:53 PM

I've just finished watching the France v Canada semi-final.  An absolutely cracking game along with the try of the tournament: Canada defending a scrum on their 5m line, they win the ball against the head, get the ball to the winger through a few pairs of hands, including a centre doing very well to tie in two defenders, then the winger runs in for a try in the corner from 80m out after standing up multiple defenders better than most male union wingers could and leaving others in her dust.

Then she converted it from the sideline! Cracking match.

#15 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,162 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:47 PM

Come on Canada!

#16 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,162 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:50 PM

Referee!  FFS... England shoved backwards in the scrum and the ref penalises Canada for something pedantic rather than England for deliberately collapsing.

#17 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,162 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:04 PM

I hope that the ###### players from yesterday's Australia v NZ game are watching how two teams can play aggressive high-risk rugby (sic) rather than trying to cheat and con the ref to victory through low-risk forward gruntery.

#18 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:21 PM

Good try that by England. Also nice to see that in the womans game they give knock ons at rucks and mauls to

#19 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,162 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:25 PM

A good win for England.  That Emily Scarratt is one hell of a player.

#20 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,724 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:41 PM

Great to see England ladies win the RWC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users