Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Today v Leigh

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#41 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:28 AM

I would say that turning round a 52-6 tonking to a long awaited victory (Fairbank permitting!) over Eagles shows how good a coach Kear is anyway. He can only go with what he has or what he is now allowed. Recruitment last year didn't come up to scratch, but I think pessimism has set in too much if we think that dropping down a division spells the end, as I think we'd be straight back anyway, fans will be there whichever division.

No guarantee whatsoever that we'd come straight back up. We'd lose virtually all our players if we went down, and more than likely have to find a new coach. How can you say that we'd come straight back with the likes of Rochdale, Barrow, Crusaders, Hunslet (probably) also down there? In addition, Newcastle RUFC are set to pump money into Gateshead.

I remember various fans foolishly speculating at the end of the 1996 season that we'd 'go straight back' up when we were relegated from the second division. It didn't happen though, despite there being an abundance of experience, class and quality within our squad.
As for fans 'always being there', you're being terribly naive again. I know many fans (many of them long-term fans) who have become so disillusioned by the goings-on this season that they would almost certainly give up the ghost if we are relegated. The club's spectacular failure to build on our success last season - at any level, forms a huge part of their disenchantment.

Edited by TheTerminator, 04 August 2014 - 09:18 AM.

Posted Image

#42 marko9

marko9
  • Coach
  • 183 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:49 AM

AlanE yes your right see it from different point of view,but he missed decisions that stopped us getting back in,maybe it was equal on penalty count,but saying he missed batley forward passes maybe he did,but at least 2 of your tries was from a forward pass,not saying Leigh's didn't play well they did,but you can understand frustrations when he was so one sides maybe in my eyes,where I was sat I saw lots of things the linesman saw or didn't bother calling

#43 AlanE

AlanE
  • Coach
  • 418 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:52 AM

Mark, I can understand your frustration, but I believe he was just as bad for both teams. One thing I do agree on is that he wasn't up to the job. (in my opinion) Also, when you are on a roll, like Leigh are this season, decisions do tend to go in your favour.

I really hope you guys can pull it around in the remaining four games. Good luck.

#44 marko9

marko9
  • Coach
  • 183 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:51 AM

Alan,yes perhaps he was as bad for both teams,the thing that stands out is yes he not up to the job,these are massive games we are playing now,needed a better ref
Yes think that's true with the roll leigh on decisions go more in your favour whether right or wrong yes hopefully can turn it around thanks enjoy rest of your season

#45 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 503 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:52 AM

I wish people would stop blaming the referee for our shortcomings. He was the same for both sides maybe one or two could have gone either way but we lost because our squad is not up to it, we have no cover in the halves and we saw when Black missed earlier games that in attack we often slipped into the one pass one drive rugby that got us nowhere. Davis is a tryer and a good player but he is no stand off  Now also we have the stupidity of Patterson who has probably put himself out of the remaining four games. We are running out of bodies. Yesterday Leigh were by far the better team Ridyard was top drawer at 6 for them . Hope Mr Kear has something up his sleeve for the Whitehaven match because if they beat us we are down. They are scoring points with 2 freescoring wingers  and yesterday we were totally exposed on the fringes. Things not looking good for survival  at the moment.

#46 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:07 AM

The referee was poor, don't know how much experience he has but he seemed a little overawed with the occasion to me.  However there is no way that he had any bearing on the result IMO.  Leigh individually were, again IMO, better players all round the park to ours and add in the belief and confidence that their results to date have given them, justifiably meant that we were second best.

On the subject of numbers, why are Brennan and Leary still out on loan? surely their initial month must be over and they can be recalled at a weeks notice?

Edited by fredm, 04 August 2014 - 11:07 AM.

#47 Lone Drinker

Lone Drinker
  • Coach
  • 238 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:49 AM

I wish people would stop blaming the referee for our shortcomings.

I don't blame him for the result or our performance. However I think he should shoulder some responsibility for allowing the game to descend into a farce with punch-ups, melees, back-chat and gamesmanship a-plenty. And a couple of cards.

It's not a coincidence that Leigh have the worst disciplinary record in the division. It's not the first time a Leigh game has been littered with the above. Or the second. Leigh obviously need a strong referee to keep their questionable tactics under control. He failed.

Batley, before yesterday, had the best disciplinary record in the division.

#48 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 939 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:01 PM

The referee was poor, don't know how much experience he has but he seemed a little overawed with the occasion to me.  However there is no way that he had any bearing on the result IMO.  Leigh individually were, again IMO, better players all round the park to ours and add in the belief and confidence that their results to date have given them, justifiably meant that we were second best.

On the subject of numbers, why are Brennan and Leary still out on loan? surely their initial month must be over and they can be recalled at a weeks notice?

thought brennon had a 4 match ban? i really think were going to struggle now without ben, the haven game was one we should/could/still must win,but with a few players with knocks, all the talk of whos going were dont help us, will we have griffin or brownie or even hirst back we dont know, we had all the talk of 9 or 10 points from the last few games but its looking like 6 at best and that wont be enough.

p.s ???whos the mod who deleted the post around 11.15 telling us who had signed for other clubs for 2015.

#49 The Blues Ox

The Blues Ox
  • Coach
  • 119 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:01 PM

No surprise to see a bit of biff when Leigh are playing in a game. Refs do seem very lenient of their bully boy tactics.

On another note just out of interest how has Miles Greenwood played for you guys this season? Seems strange him coming back to Fax to replace the guy who replaced him.

#50 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 939 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:05 PM

No surprise to see a bit of biff when Leigh are playing in a game. Refs do seem very lenient of their bully boy tactics.

On another note just out of interest how has Miles Greenwood played for you guys this season? Seems strange him coming back to Fax to replace the guy who replaced him.

thats a big loss for us if true, makes great yards everytime,and anyone who straps up a broken thumb and gets under them high bombs and takes them all will do for me. one of our best players all day long,

#51 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,024 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:06 PM

As a town fan who watched him for a year .... Was Mr Acton involved in this by any chance !!!!

#52 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:10 PM

thought brennon had a 4 match ban? i really think were going to struggle now without ben, the haven game was one we should/could/still must win,but with a few players with knocks, all the talk offer whos going were dont help us, will we have griffin or brownie or even hirst back we dont know, we had all the talk of 9 or 10 points from the last few games but its looking like 6 at best and that wont be enough.
p.s ???whos the mod who deleted the post around 11.15 telling us who had signed for other clubs for 2015.

Why would we have Griffin or Hirst back? The former has been transferred to another club and Hirst's loan deal expired three weeks ago. The transfer deadline passed last week. As for Brown - who knows? The club hasn't deemed it necessary to tell the fans whether his deal was secured until the end of the season or not. I guess we don't need to know these things. As for Brennan or Leary, neither is going to help our cause at the moment.
Brennan was, with the best will in the world, a bargain bucket signing who the coach was pushed into recruiting when the club failed to sign someone of real quality.

Edited by TheTerminator, 04 August 2014 - 01:12 PM.

Posted Image

#53 Bat Lad

Bat Lad
  • Coach
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:14 PM

As a town fan who watched him for a year .... Was Mr Acton involved in this by any chance !!!!

Yes and Mr Barlow

#54 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 939 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:19 PM

Why would we have Griffin or Hirst back? The former has been transferred to another club and Hirst's loan deal expired three weeks ago. The transfer deadline passed last week. As for Brown - who knows? The club hasn't deemed it necessary to tell the fans whether his deal was secured until the end of the season or not. I guess we don't need to know these things. As for Brennan or Leary, neither is going to help our cause at the moment.
Brennan was, with the best will in the world, a bargain bucket signing who the coach was pushed into recruiting when the club failed to sign someone of real quality.

not sure thats why i said will we. hirst seemed happy to be at our place yesterday in his fev shirt..griffin seemed to pop when we might not have expected him for the cause, and we seem to lift our efforts when alex his around, guess we will have  to wait and see what miracles jk pulls out the bag for sunday if any.

#55 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 939 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:23 PM

Yes and Mr Barlow

and the blundel fly grub himself higson.how he gets away with the 3rd man in head high shots i will never know,he ran all way over pitch to get in middle a the brawl,a nasty cheap shot merchant who will get plenty back come sl time am sure a that.

#56 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,476 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:39 PM

That's because that "guy" doesn't like a bullying "my way or else" type of coach but prefers one who can help him develop his game, like Glenn Morisson.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#57 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 939 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:43 PM

Yes and Mr Barlow

barlow aint tough,he just niggles players and makes himself look a fool and we fell for it,if he got on with his game he would be a real stand out player. barry mac were tough,cowie,sampson,crooksy,skerit,mozza,tonks and dicko too.he sure wouldent stand out on the pitch if it were down to good old graft without the panto stuff.

#58 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:00 PM

Yet another disaster for us - especially when our neighbours have recruited someone of Fieldhouse's ability, and yet again an example of us not being able to keep hold of any decent players we get our paws on. Maybe we'll be more suited to the lower echelons of the game, the quality and crowd figures will certainly match the level of our ambition.

Edited by TheTerminator, 04 August 2014 - 02:00 PM.

Posted Image

#59 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 939 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:25 PM

fieldhouse is my type a player and one we need badly, i know some folks have said it will be ok if we go down but am sorry it wont do us any good at all, the crowds that are naff now would half,how could we possibly recruite players or keep what we have to get back up with a naff crowd ££$££ coming in, how could the dogs even try to keep our decent players if we cant keep them now. am i missing something or is it part a the plan to have some parachute £££ to keep us afloat. sad times for the dogs me thinks. :superstition:

#60 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:38 PM

fieldhouse is my type a player and one we need badly, i know some folks have said it will be ok if we go down but am sorry it wont do us any good at all, the crowds that are naff now would half,how could we possibly recruite players or keep what we have to get back up with a naff crowd ££$££ coming in, how could the dogs even try to keep our decent players if we cant keep them now. am i missing something or is it part a the plan to have some parachute £££ to keep us afloat. sad times for the dogs me thinks. :superstition:

Fieldhouse would never sign for us, he's one of the best players in the division and has already signed a contract with a resurgent club who can afford to pay significantly more than us.
We were lucky to get Greenwood, as he'd fallen off the radar at Oldham after being released by Halifax due to injury.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users