Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

East Coast Main Line

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:46 AM

Since being re nationalised after failing as a private company 5 years ago, the ECML has returned a billion pounds in profits to the treasury.
Last year alone it paid back £235 million to the British taxpayer.
The Tories are intent that it should be sold off to the private sector.
Ironically two of the "Private Copanies" who are among the favourites to buy money spinner are STATE owned German and French rail operators.
I know there are posters on here who believe that "Private" ownership is better than "Nationalised"
Can any of them explain how this would be of benefit to me a humble taxpayer?
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#2 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,834 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:26 AM

Only if you can explain why this is on the RL forum?...
Posted Image

#3 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:01 PM

Since being re nationalised after failing as a private company 5 years ago, the ECML has returned a billion pounds in profits to the treasury.
Ironically two of the "Private Copanies" who are among the favourites to buy money spinner are STATE owned German and French rail operators.
I know there are posters on here who believe that "Private" ownership is better than "Nationalised"

You have gauged it wrong and you have gone off track posting the topic on this forum. although your points may be valid.  :ph34r:

#4 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,118 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:07 PM

You have gauged it wrong and you have gone off track posting the topic on this forum. although your points may be valid.  :ph34r:

Well spotted.

People called Romans they go the house

#5 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 894 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:43 PM

As some have said this is the wrong forum.... it does become a pain as on many forums I note more and more left learning contributions that have nowt to do with the forum it is posted on. It is as if their is a co-ordinating hand to push their particular agenda, I expect to see more with elections looming.

Anyway whilst not the place to debate and I am left learning myself I suggest you read the following report as to the success of franchising of rail. Then you can have a more educated and informed debate somewhere else having considered your counter points against the reports conclusions, namely:

What follows in this report is a straightforward, almost

modest, description of the unprecedented growth and

stunning improvements in the British rail system since rail

franchising was introduced in the mid-1990s

http://www.futurerai...erityReport.pdf

#6 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:34 PM

Well spotted.

Yeah, but it could be railroaded through as a point re Wembley travel plans.

#7 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,151 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:33 PM

As some have said this is the wrong forum.... it does become a pain as on many forums I note more and more left learning contributions that have nowt to do with the forum it is posted on. It is as if their is a co-ordinating hand to push their particular agenda, I expect to see more with elections looming.

Anyway whilst not the place to debate and I am left learning myself I suggest you read the following report as to the success of franchising of rail. Then you can have a more educated and informed debate somewhere else having considered your counter points against the reports conclusions, namely:

What follows in this report is a straightforward, almost

modest, description of the unprecedented growth and

stunning improvements in the British rail system since rail

franchising was introduced in the mid-1990s

http://www.futurerai...erityReport.pdf

Hardly an unbiased source:.

"On an overcrowded and late CrossCountry train limping its way from Plymouth to Newcastle, with its air conditioning failing and litter piling up, shadow transport secretary Mary Creagh led a mini-invasion of a first-class carriage by disgruntled passengers. Not in a George Osborne way, she stresses. Unlike the chancellor, who attempted to secure an upgrade on a Virgin train without paying, she urged the conductor to declassify the first-class carriage in order to get seats for all."

"Its defenders say our trains are the envy of Europe, with booming passenger numbers, a vastly improved safety record and investment coming with only slim average profit margins – around 3% on average – for train operators.

Creagh says: "Are we getting value for money for the taxpayer? I don't think so. Train companies have made a lot of money in the past without improving the passenger experience." She is coy about naming the culprits, however. "I'm in the business of working with companies andNetwork Rail to make things better."

http://www.theguardi...tion-off-agenda

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#8 paulalmanack

paulalmanack
  • Coach
  • 145 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:34 PM

Went into London yesterday, cancelled trains everywhere and you can't get to St helens central direct next weekend by rail its bus replacement services. There I made it about RL.

#9 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,090 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:43 PM

Yeah, but it could be railroaded through as a point re Wembley travel plans.

I pundamnetally disagree with being railroaded into using the forum as a platform, even if it  does signal a new departure.

#10 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:29 PM

Sorry everyone I really thought I was posting it on the AOB forum .....Doh!
Can the Mods move it?
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#11 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,670 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:42 PM

Hardly an unbiased source:.

<snip>

Indeed. I can never trust a source who uses a visualization like this:

14819834212_7013ec241e_o.jpg

to demonstrate a difference of 42% <_<

(a pet hate of mine)

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#12 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:50 PM

That is a report that shows improvement from when the railways had been deliberately run down through a period when huge amounts of Government money were thrown at it and the system still managed to reach a nadir in the 2000's

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#13 gavin7094

gavin7094
  • Coach
  • 202 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:50 PM

Indeed. I can never trust a source who uses a visualization like this:

14819834212_7013ec241e_o.jpg

to demonstrate a difference of 42% <_<

(a pet hate of mine)

Look at the numbers again and more closely. The visualisation is correct.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users