Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

RLWC 2017 Qualification

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:08 PM

I find it very odd that PNG - the ONE country in the world where RL is the national sport – have to qualify, whereas Scotland - with, what, 4 teams in the entire country? - get an automatic spot. (And this is NOT an attack on Scotland RL).

Also, I find it very odd that out of PNG, Tonga and the Cook Islands - 3 relatively strong RL countries - only 2 will qualify.

I'd feel sad for PNG if they fail to qualify, but Tonga and the CIs are just NRL heritage teams. That said, I can't see PNG failing to qualify. 

#62 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 508 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:43 PM

All sports try to ensure they have a qualification process that results in what the organisers consider to be the best tournament. Europe and South America are disproportionately represented in soccer World Cup.Cricket has avoided having too many minnows.

The only automatic qualifiers should be Australia , NZ and England in my view. The draw should also try to ensure that Fiji, PNG and France and Lebanon qualify.

#63 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:55 PM

I find it very odd that PNG - the ONE country in the world where RL is the national sport – have to qualify, whereas Scotland - with, what, 4 teams in the entire country? - get an automatic spot. (And this is NOT an attack on Scotland RL).

Also, I find it very odd that out of PNG, Tonga and the Cook Islands - 3 relatively strong RL countries - only 2 will qualify.

Interesting qualifiers then, they will all have to try and field full strength teams!

#64 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:58 PM

All sports try to ensure they have a qualification process that results in what the organisers consider to be the best tournament. Europe and South America are disproportionately represented in soccer World Cup.Cricket has avoided having too many minnows.

The only automatic qualifiers should be Australia , NZ and England in my view. The draw should also try to ensure that Fiji, PNG and France and Lebanon qualify.

I agree, or base it on how teams play over a number of years and not just in tourneys where un committed heratige players will be playing!

#65 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:33 PM

So what do you think the makeup of the 2017 RLWC will be?

Automatic - Australia, New Zealand, England, Fiji, Samoa, France, Scotland

Europe - Wales, Ireland, Italy

Pacific - PNG, Tonga

America - Canada

Middle East/Africa - Lebanon

Will be a close call for the likes of USA, Jamaica, Cooks and South Africa I reckon.

Personally, I think the third qualifying place from Europe would have made for a good repechage tournament, likely between Italy, Cooks, USA and South Africa. If they held it in Australia, they wouldn't have to travel far! :D

Edited by Wellsy4HullFC, 05 August 2014 - 10:34 PM.

Posted Image

#66 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:42 AM

So what do you think the makeup of the 2017 RLWC will be?

Automatic - Australia, New Zealand, England, Fiji, Samoa, France, Scotland

Europe - Wales, Ireland, Italy

Pacific - PNG, Tonga

America - Canada

Middle East/Africa - Lebanon

Will be a close call for the likes of USA, Jamaica, Cooks and South Africa I reckon.

Personally, I think the third qualifying place from Europe would have made for a good repechage tournament, likely between Italy, Cooks, USA and South Africa. If they held it in Australia, they wouldn't have to travel far! :D

If the US get the membership the RLIF, I don't think Canada will be a shoo in. They well might qualify but it would be a hard struggle . The US has beaten them several times with mostly domestic players.

#67 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:42 AM

If the US get the membership the RLIF, I don't think Canada will be a shoo in. They well might qualify but it would be a hard struggle . The US has beaten them several times with mostly domestic players.

I don't think they're a shoo in. Just having a guess! :D
Posted Image

#68 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 419 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:29 AM

It'll certainly be close if both call on heritage players.

Canada have the Jacks brothers; Ryley and Rhys available to them. They're half backs who play in the Queensland Cup.

James Iodice from the Gold Coast Titans as well as McGoff and Robinson from Workington and London Skolars respectively.

#69 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 811 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:04 AM

Steve Mascord has written about this in today's Sydney Morning Herald:

http://www.smh.com.a...806-1011lg.html

Add your comments !

#70 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:22 AM

i see steve's still calling for a GB tour next year in 2015.....which is when wales & ireland start their world cup qualification...

the logical thing to do is send england to play australia...and have scotland play "mid week tests" v fiji & samoa (who have also qualified.)

and leavel wales and ireland (and png,tonga,cook islands for that matter) to concentrate on the more important matter of the world cup

Edited by roughyedspud, 07 August 2014 - 09:27 AM.

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#71 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 419 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:58 AM

In relation to what spud has mentioned above; countries must have known of these plans for a while as France have had their NZ tour planned for some time now.

#72 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:23 PM

A GB tour in 2015 would be an issue for scheduling a qualifying tournament for the 2017WC.

2014 - 4N; Euro Nations for qualifying for 2016 4N.
2015 - GB Tour.
2016 - 4N

Would mean a tournament would have to be in 2016, and if Wales or France for example qualify for the 4N, when would they qualify for the WC? Unless you class that as qualification? It would be too messy to arrange.

A 2015 qualifying tournament would benefit everyone.
Posted Image

#73 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,962 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:32 PM

Apparently if Wales or Ireland make the 4 nations they automatically qualify and leave 2 remaining spots.

#74 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 428 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:47 PM

^ FFS, really? I thought we'd got past this bush league nonsense.

I also heard that they were planning to host qualifiers mid-season, which would be a disaster.

Edited by Evil Homer, 07 August 2014 - 06:48 PM.

#75 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:45 PM

I think you might be giving the game's administrators a bit too much credit if you think they wouldn't find the easiest option available to appease the clubs...

Bush league mentality is a fairly apt name in my opinion...

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#76 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:01 PM

I also heard that they were planning to host qualifiers mid-season, which would be a disaster.

Exactly. It's not a standardised organised qualifying tournament then. It's relying on "ifs" of other nations to determine a make up later on. It's what kids do in the playground!

The latter I've also heard, with the logic that it's to appease the nations who have stronger set ups and not rely on NRL/SL players. To me, that's rubbish. You should be able to play your strongest possible side available, not a residents side.

2 steps forward, 3 steps back.
Posted Image

#77 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:06 PM

Exactly. It's not a standardised organised qualifying tournament then. It's relying on "ifs" of other nations to determine a make up later on. It's what kids do in the playground!

The latter I've also heard, with the logic that it's to appease the nations who have stronger set ups and not rely on NRL/SL players. To me, that's rubbish. You should be able to play your strongest possible side available, not a residents side.

2 steps forward, 3 steps back.

No it isn't. How much longer is the 'international' game going to to be a parade of Aussies with grannies from that country? What's the point of developing the sport in the country if you can just name a team of 17 NRL players all the time?

#78 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:43 PM

No it isn't. How much longer is the 'international' game going to to be a parade of Aussies with grannies from that country? What's the point of developing the sport in the country if you can just name a team of 17 NRL players all the time?

Then they should change the rules of the international section criteria, not conspire to get around selecting eligible players. It devalues the game by essentially making those nations 'A' teams. How does that grow the attraction?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users