Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Today's unsung hero

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:28 PM

Aside from the lads who earned a bonus point today, there's somebody else who deserves a lot of credit.

James, who posts on here as Netherton Ram, spent hours of his own time this week sourcing photographs and liaising with clubs, and then, despite being a Rams fan of 20 years, volunteered to miss today's game at Fax to run a full scoreboard service for the Women's Cup Finals.

Since near the start of the season James has run the scoreboard on match days single-handedly, including starting and stopping the clock to make it a great service for supporters.

He also liaised with the manufacturers when it wasn't working for the Crusaders match and came down to the ground in his own time during the week to make sure it was repaired and working correctly.

And while I, and others in the control room, have buggered about at weddings and holidays on some Sunday afternoons, James has run the scoreboard at every home match this season.

Today he went the extra mile for the four competing women's teams and hopefully this won't have gone unnoticed by the RFL. I believe it's the little bits of extra effort like this that really showcase the stadium as a venue for these kinds of matches.

A state of the art scoreboard is no good if there's nobody there to give up their time to run it, so well done James.

Just another example of volunteers giving up their time to help the club be better.

#2 Netherton Ram

Netherton Ram
  • Coach
  • 473 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:52 PM

Oh, Tom, I'm filling up here.

No, seriously thanks mate. I am pleased to give my time to the club and will continue to do so.

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

#3 JimbobRam

JimbobRam
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:26 PM

Good work James :)

#4 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 898 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:25 PM

Well done James , yourself Tom and all those others that we don't see but mean we can open the doors on a Sunday are a credit to the club.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#5 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:34 PM

Hope the women's games were good. Well done.

#6 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:37 PM

Well done James , yourself Tom and all those others that we don't see but mean we can open the doors on a Sunday are a credit to the club.

And they still get some flak. ;) Seriously though, well done lads and thanks for your efforts.

#7 Netherton Ram

Netherton Ram
  • Coach
  • 473 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:01 PM

Tom also helps massively with preparing the pictures of the players and sponsors. Good job we don't need him up on the scoreboard as a picture , as he only has a face for the tannoy  ;)

#8 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:44 PM

There were more than 400 in the ground on Sunday.

#9 graham fisher

graham fisher
  • Coach
  • 495 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:47 PM

Bigger crowds than batley then!!

#10 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:02 PM

Hats off to you both for the good work.
Legs, Dews, Legs.

#11 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:52 AM

Bigger crowds than batley then!!

Steady.....Unless thgeres a turnaround from the Barrow game we might loose all bragging rights on this front come Sunday....I for one will be on hols...

#12 christheram

christheram
  • Non-Batley
  • 471 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:54 AM

It's also cas v widnes semi on tv. hope we get a bigger crowd than the 575 v barrow. Have we managed to sort a curtain raiser out?

#13 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,617 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:30 PM

It's also cas v widnes semi on tv. hope we get a bigger crowd than the 575 v barrow. Have we managed to sort a curtain raiser out?

Chris, it's the school holidays - no junior teams are interested or able to participate in these at this time of year.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#14 christheram

christheram
  • Non-Batley
  • 471 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:42 PM

Understandable then. Maybe not the Sunday match v keighley but certainly for the playoffs I reckon we should market the game, especially as if we finish 5th or 6th wel get an home playoff match. It will be our final match of the season at home so would be great to get a big crowd to the match. Imsure we could get a good crowd if we market the match in tine and put afew discounts on and entertainment ext..

Edited by christheram, 06 August 2014 - 01:44 PM.

#15 Tom Ward

Tom Ward
  • Players
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:06 PM

Well done James..... The world needs more like you...........Also well done to all the unsung heroes at the club

#16 Netherton Ram

Netherton Ram
  • Coach
  • 473 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:23 PM

Don't praise me, just throw money  ;)