Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

It's Going To Be An Emotional Weekend....

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:11 PM

Driving up from Suffolk with my son on Friday for what promises to be a weekend to remember.

We are taking my dad to the War Memorial at Lichfield on Saturday. It's also the 2 year anniversary of my mum passing away. We will think of people that we lost - people who gave everything for us.

On Sunday we will roll into Leigh for a game I am very excited but nervous about.

The club have restored pride into a town that's had it tough. Win or lose we will give our all on the grass and in the stands. We will sing until we can't spayke.

We will leave with our heads held high no matter what happens because this season we have been brilliant and shown that guts, pride and honesty can take everything to a different level.

I know lots of people are travelling from all over the UK to be there - safe journey - lets hope it's a great game.

Always black and amber.....

#2 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:17 AM

Driving up from Suffolk with my son on Friday for what promises to be a weekend to remember.

We are taking my dad to the War Memorial at Lichfield on Saturday. It's also the 2 year anniversary of my mum passing away. We will think of people that we lost - people who gave everything for us.

On Sunday we will roll into Leigh for a game I am very excited but nervous about.

The club have restored pride into a town that's had it tough. Win or lose we will give our all on the grass and in the stands. We will sing until we can't spayke.

We will leave with our heads held high no matter what happens because this season we have been brilliant and shown that guts, pride and honesty can take everything to a different level.

I know lots of people are travelling from all over the UK to be there - safe journey - lets hope it's a great game.

Always black and amber.....

You've got to hand it to Cas they've done brilliantly under DP.  They are the shining example of why P&R is a good thing. Had they missed out in 2007, they'd still be in the Championship, instead of in the CC semi and challenging for the GF.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#3 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,993 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:33 AM

Good luck to Cas. While their support will be fervent I hope that they also pay due respect to opposition fans, regardless of the result. Should be a wonderful occasion. 2 great clubs on show, coming back to re-living former glories.

#4 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:36 PM

You've got to hand it to Cas they've done brilliantly under DP. They are the shining example of why P&R is a good thing. Had they missed out in 2007, they'd still be in the Championship, instead of in the CC semi and challenging for the GF.

Utter Tosh

#5 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:41 PM

Utter Tosh

true though, nonetheless

#6 Gates1

Gates1
  • Coach
  • 203 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:25 AM

Good luck to Cas. While their support will be fervent I hope that they also pay due respect to opposition fans, regardless of the result. Should be a wonderful occasion. 2 great clubs on show, coming back to re-living former glories.

Dont really get the comment about hoping Cas fans pay due respect to widnes fans. Seems to suggest that they will cause trouble if they lose.

In actually fact I seem to remember two instances of crowd trouble worthy of hitting the media involving Widnes as recently as last season (Warrington and Waky).

If the comment needed making (which in my view it didn't) maybe should have been inclusive of everyone attending.

#7 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,975 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:02 PM

You've got to hand it to Cas they've done brilliantly under DP.  They are the shining example of why P&R is a good thing. Had they missed out in 2007, they'd still be in the Championship, instead of in the CC semi and challenging for the GF.

Why can't you argue that it is a great indication that licensing was good because Widnes might still be languishing in the lower leagues otherwise?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#8 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,019 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:21 PM

Why can't you argue that it is a great indication that licensing was good because Widnes might still be languishing in the lower leagues otherwise?

Yeah I'd say its a great example of two clubs being able to establish and strengthen themselves due to licencing.

#9 Cutsyke Raiders

Cutsyke Raiders
  • Coach
  • 426 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:35 AM

true though, nonetheless

Not true though is it?  :no:

They both finished bottom in 2012 and would have been relegated  

#10 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:36 PM

Not true though is it?  :no:

They both finished bottom in 2012 and would have been relegated  

But they'd probably have been promoted the following season

Whereas under licencing they'd have been dropped  had Crusaders not quit.  And had there been no P&R in 2007, they wouldn't even have been in SL.

#11 Cutsyke Raiders

Cutsyke Raiders
  • Coach
  • 426 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:17 PM

But they'd probably have been promoted the following season

Whereas under licencing they'd have been dropped  had Crusaders not quit.  And had there been no P&R in 2007, they wouldn't even have been in SL.

A weak, spurious argument the like of which are common on this board by people who post too much.

You base it on supposition "they'd probably have been promoted the following season"

Incorrect fact "under licencing they'd have been dropped  had Crusaders not quit."

Trinity, surely?

Anachronism "had there been no P&R in 2007, they wouldn't even have been in SL."

Had there been no licensing in 2012 they would'nt have been in SL.

#12 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:06 PM

A weak, spurious argument the like of which are common on this board by people who post too much.

You base it on supposition "they'd probably have been promoted the following season"

Incorrect fact "under licencing they'd have been dropped  had Crusaders not quit."

Trinity, surely?

Anachronism "had there been no P&R in 2007, they wouldn't even have been in SL."

Had there been no licensing in 2012 they would'nt have been in SL.

Who know who were for the chop?  I recall both Wakey and Cas being prime candidates according to Radio Leeds.   The point I'm trying to make is that had there been licencing in 2007, then arguably Cas would still have been in the championship.  After all why were Widnes promoted, what did they win?  Certainly not the Championship the year they were promoted. That year IIRC Widnes just went through the motions, what should have been exciting games against them were mere strolls in the park.  If anything brought licencing into disrepute it was this.

#13 Cutsyke Raiders

Cutsyke Raiders
  • Coach
  • 426 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:16 PM

Who know who were for the chop?  I recall both Wakey and Cas being prime candidates according to Radio Leeds

Ha! Radio Leeds

http://www.telegraph...e-reprieve.html

http://www.dailymail...eague-exit.html

http://www.yorkshire...aders-1-3618714

http://www.independe...ve-2326364.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/14189659

http://www.theguardi...akefieldtrinity

#14 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,742 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:04 AM

Really pleased to see the heartfelt opening post about the pure joy of supporting Rugby League and enjoying it with those we hold dear has been turned into a petty squabble about the structure of the sport. Let's face it, we have far to much of the former, and not enough of the latter...

Edited by Amber Avenger, 08 August 2014 - 08:05 AM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#15 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:41 PM

Really pleased to see the heartfelt opening post about the pure joy of supporting Rugby League and enjoying it with those we hold dear has been turned into a petty squabble about the structure of the sport. Let's face it, we have far to much of the former, and not enough of the latter...

Ha ha!!

Rise above it fella. Drive up today - tough gig.

Lit some candles for mum earlier. Will spend some time with my dad tomorrow.

The game is looming - but will deal with that on Sunday - if all goes to plan I might leave the car and walk home to Suffolk...!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users