Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

York - The Games Sleeping Giant?

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#1 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:45 AM

Potentially. I always have felt that eventually a successful York team could help our game. The cosmopolitan multi national array of tourists that pour through the City daily could be opened up to our great game with lots of marketing. Besides that the City is of a fair size population wise and is in need of a ball game sport to support with the lack of threat at the moment from football. I also believe a new stadium could be in the making..........

Thoughts?

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#2 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,925 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:52 AM

Potentially. I always have felt that eventually a successful York team could help our game. The cosmopolitan multi national array of tourists that pour through the City daily could be opened up to our great game with lots of marketing. Besides that the City is of a fair size population wise and is in need of a ball game sport to support with the lack of threat at the moment from football. I also believe a new stadium could be in the making..........

Thoughts?

They have potential, yes. I remember they were attracting 3k crowds not long after they reformed.

Like any in though, they'd need a big backer if they were to progress to the top. Are there any out there with enough interest in York?
Posted Image

#3 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:02 AM

York certainly has a sufficiently large population to support a successful team. Not sure that tourists are very likely to take in a game on their visits though, in fact I don't think it's likely at all. York is a bit of a puzzle, in truth - large enough to have a decent club but never been at the top for as far as I can remember Same applies to the soccer club, so maybe it's the fact that much of the population is 'out' of the main part of the city itself or that sport just doesn't capture the inhabitants imagination sufficiently.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#4 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:19 AM

York certainly has a sufficiently large population to support a successful team. Not sure that tourists are very likely to take in a game on their visits though, in fact I don't think it's likely at all. York is a bit of a puzzle, in truth - large enough to have a decent club but never been at the top for as far as I can remember Same applies to the soccer club, so maybe it's the fact that much of the population is 'out' of the main part of the city itself or that sport just doesn't capture the inhabitants imagination sufficiently.

Shame they didnt win their CC SF in 84'..,,

#5 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:31 AM

Thought you might have been cheering Wiggin that day..... ;)

#6 jayemm

jayemm
  • Coach
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:32 AM

The stadium is out of the main part of the city.I think this is part of the problem.

#7 jayemm

jayemm
  • Coach
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:33 AM

Shame they didnt win their CC SF in 84'..,,

We was robbed that day.

#8 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:04 PM

It's a shame they didn't manage to stay up after they got promoted ahead of Fulham and Wigan in 1981. What might have been...

#9 Wollo Wollo Wayoo

Wollo Wollo Wayoo
  • Coach
  • 544 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:26 PM

It's a shame they couldn't keep hold of Graham Steadman.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys" 2013 & 2014

#10 Shadow45

Shadow45
  • Coach
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:10 PM

Edited by Shadow45, 04 August 2014 - 01:11 PM.

#11 Shadow45

Shadow45
  • Coach
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:13 PM

It's a shame they couldn't keep hold of Graham Steadman.

We have always been a selling club, sold Steadman to Featherstone Rovers, who at the time were one of our "rivals" for relegation

It's a shame they didn't manage to stay up after they got promoted ahead of Fulham and Wigan in 1981. What might have been...

See above, sold Johnny Crossley as soon as we were promoted along with one or two of our other better players and relegation was pretty much nailed on there after, as you said "what might have been...."

#12 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,628 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:58 PM

What is the situation with the proposed new stadium ? Will it be built anytime soon or is it a Newmarket type tease ?

#13 Shadow45

Shadow45
  • Coach
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:09 PM

What is the situation with the proposed new stadium ? Will it be built anytime soon or is it a Newmarket type tease ?

Expecting another update sometime early September. Not sure of the finished design but it'll be a 6000 to 8000 all seater stadium that will then be shared by the Rugby League club and the Football League club also the City of York Council will have some kind of "time share" rights on the facilities. |To be built on the existing site of Huntington Stadium with the Knights playing at Bootham Crescent during the building process 

#14 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,824 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

We're dreaming here, aren't we ?  York in $uperleague ?  Not going to happen in my lifetime, I'm afraid.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#15 Shadow45

Shadow45
  • Coach
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:33 PM

We're dreaming here, aren't we ?  York in $uperleague ?  Not going to happen in my lifetime, I'm afraid.

You're right but we're debating "ifs" and "buts"

#16 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:43 PM

York as a city for potential yes. But I would never call them a sleeping giant. You could also mention Danny Brough, who I think was there for a while.

#17 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:43 PM

We have always been a selling club, sold Steadman to Featherstone Rovers, who at the time were one of our "rivals" for relegation

See above, sold Johnny Crossley as soon as we were promoted along with one or two of our other better players and relegation was pretty much nailed on there after, as you said "what might have been...."

Going back a bit I remember Colin Forsyth and Dave Barends coming from York, they were class.

#18 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 378 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:48 PM

Not sure Super League's been mentioned. I was thinking it was more of a 'giant' in Championship terms.

Would be nice to see York get established a division up. It's always good to have clubs in nice tourist destinations in case you want to build it into a weekend away.

#19 Shadow45

Shadow45
  • Coach
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:03 PM

Not sure Super League's been mentioned. I was thinking it was more of a 'giant' in Championship terms.

Would be nice to see York get established a division up. It's always good to have clubs in nice tourist destinations in case you want to build it into a weekend away.

In that case maybe London should have one  ;)

#20 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 378 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:23 PM

In that case maybe London should have one  ;)

Never particularly liked visiting London but if I did, it would be for the Challenge Cup until they can put a decent, competitive team out. Also, London's already pre-empted my comment by making themselves a championship giant for next season  :onthequiet: